• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube Rolling: Does it Make a Difference?

DanielT

Major Contributor
That depends. I've seen a LOT of incompetent high distortion cathode follower circuits. Two common mistakes: assuming low output impedance means low loads are driveable (so yeah, let's use a 12AX7!), and biasing (with the grid at 0V, just take the signal off the 1k cathode resistor!).
This DIY tube pre amp seems to have been decent with low distortion, or? Tube pre amp with tube ECC88

Attachments

• fft-1khz-4vrms.jpg
    fft-1khz-4vrms.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 143
  • THD-vs-utniva (1).jpg
    THD-vs-utniva (1).jpg
    133 KB · Views: 147
  • shot_2021-11-30_19-23-20 (2).png
    shot_2021-11-30_19-23-20 (2).png
    338.5 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
MMmmm... ale.. nom nom.. This a fine ale at just above freezing temps otherwise it gets a bit tangy. I've been known to drink a dozen or so at a time. :D
View attachment 168974
Not chilled. That is not enough. Vaccum tubes should be frozen, you know that?:)

These are Cryogenically Treated Vacuum Tubes. They are matched tubes and burned in for 24 hrs with treatment. Guarantee the best quality hand picked.

Apart from snake oil waffle, how do you know they have really been cryo-treated? He he.:facepalm:

Attachments

• shot_2021-11-30_12-07-16 (1).png
    shot_2021-11-30_12-07-16 (1).png
    463.1 KB · Views: 95

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not chilled. That is not enough. Vaccum tubes should be frozen, you know that?:)

These are Cryogenically Treated Vacuum Tubes. They are matched tubes and burned in for 24 hrs with treatment. Guarantee the best quality hand picked.

Apart from snake oil waffle, how do you know they have really been cryo-treated? He he.:facepalm:
Hehe. That's cheap for those big fat output tubes. I was looking at 300B's the other day and they are>
Matched Pair $1499 • Single Tube $699 • Matched Quad $3099

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for measuring this. Something I've always been a bit skeptical of.

Also interesting to see that this tube amp has loudspeaker like distortion numbers :oops:.
If only this were an amp. Its a DAC!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Surely there are better things to be rolling than tubes... :cool:

Yeah I don't want tubes anywhere near my DAC... or amps for that matter.

JSmith

Agreed. What would be interesting is where in the chain can you put (EDIT- SWAP) tubes for maximum impact. Doesnt appear to be in the DAC and I dont believe tube pre-amps do much either.

Not that I personally want any of it, but you'd be annoyed to buy into tubes then find that the really expensive ones you bought do nothing whatsoever.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I believe @JohnYang1997 once engineered a tube circuit with very low distortion numbers (I guess for fun), maybe it ever sees the light of day in a future product release.
Same as Morello, that DIY. He has done this as a fun "try on" winter project.:) He competes with himself to try to bring down the distortion. Actually he hates he tube amps. He usually manufactures class AB transistor-based amplifiers.

By the way, thanks for the measurement Amir, it was interesting. Not too unexpected but it was good that you researched it.:)

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What surprised me, perhaps, was how similarly the different tubes measured. I not surprise, though, that overall performance is blamed on the circuit rather than the particular tubes.

Purely subjective impression of course, but my Sonic Frontiers preamp sounds distinctly different from my Glassware Aikido preamp with the same tubes.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well that second chenel difference to average of 37 dB is 17.5% with WE 396A. But its probably just a glitch. That DAC pre amp looks as hazard with catastrophi awaiting to happen. Arguably if it whosent a glitch or defective lamp on some deacent design with mid 50's SINAD that 17.5% would maka a whole lot of the difference.

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Looks like the circuit isn't a simple cathode follower. The measurements would be a lot better this way and thus less 'tube goodness'.
So it looks like the tube stage amplifies the signal and that's why measurements are poor and 'tube sound' is maximized.

Would have been interesting to see distortion profile at say -10 and - 20dB

Here is a DIY NOS R2R "tube DAC" I made using an older BB chip, PCM56, it uses a common cathode gain stage on the output, however the distortion is significantly lower, around 0.0093% with a -6dBFS signal, around 2Vrms.

I'm not sure why the distortion is so high on the Pagoda, it would be interesting to see a schematic.

TabCam

I never understand why it's called "rolling tubes" as opposed to "changing tubes". It seems to imply some inherent skill involved in the process.
Changing tubes could just mean replacing an old one for new tube while "tune rolling" over time also took the meaning of changing to a different type/kind of tube like with "OpAmp rolling" which just are changed with an up-down motion.

Schollaudio

Indeed, CF would be better, but they are proud of producing even 3 V at the output of this DAC - so probably tube amplifies signal.
I cannot understand why and how they decided "this is it, let's sell it" ?
I have made many tube amplifiers for myself, some were really bad, but I would never think of them "that is great" - just mistake.
Simply integrated sound-card from PC would tell them that there is something wrong with this device.
Did they deny to make any measurements? Magic brand.
As you know, it's easy to make a small signal tube sound good and measure well. Possibly tuned by ear to sound the way they liked it.

Svperstar

I owned an MHDT Paradisea+ back in the day when NOS DACs were the rage and it is the worst piece of audio gear I have ever owned.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Personally even if I signed up for a tube product, I would not waste time "rolling tubes." You are likely to suffer more from "rolling placebo" by your brain than any variation in such tubes.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

I immediately thought of DAC placebo effect. Just the way my mind thinks............ Well, my wife has said numerous times, "You are not right in the head!"

Top Bottom