• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dolby cannibalizes the audio world and nobody says anything

NestorM

Hi.

It's my first post in the forum, hopefully it will help.

Dolby and Apple have been pushing "space music" for some time. Although I have nothing against the format, if against companies. Well, music, in its creative process, It was completely free, to be created, but now with Dolby sticking its nose in, now you have to follow very specific criteria, as well as recording, mixing, (I don't include mastering, because Dolby has made it clear that its format does not need to be mastered).

I give an example, AS A STUDIO OWNER,BEFORE I COULD USE ANY SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE I WANTED, NOW I HAVE TO STOP USING HARDWARE TO GO DIRECTLY TO ITB.BEFORE I JUST PRESSED BOUNCE AND I HAD A WAV FILE, NOW I HAVE TO BUY A PLUGIN FROM DOLBY TO BE ABLE TO RENDER THE AUDIO. NOW I HAD TO BUY 14 SPEAKERS, 2 PLUGINS, PAY DOLBY FOR THE FUCKING CERTIFICATION AND EVERYTHING FOR PEOPLE ENDS UP BY CONSUMING THE MIX ON YOUR CELL PHONE AND WITH HEADPHONES. AND THIS DOES NOT ONLY AFFECT THE CREATORS, ALSO THE CONSUMERS, THEY HAVE STARTED TO THINK HOW MUCH THE PRICE OF A SIMPLE DAC WOULD RISE FOR THE DOLBY CERTIFICATION OR HOW MUCH WOULD A HIGH QUALITY DAC WITH 14 CHANNELS TO DECODE ATMOS.I KNOW THAT THE POST IS A LITTLE LONG, BUT IT IS SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO ME, I WAIT FOR YOUR OPINIONS.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FOR PEOPLE ENDS UP BY CONSUMING THE MIX ON YOUR CELL PHONE AND WITH HEADPHONES.
you're really barking on the wrong tree here.

Atmos is actually welcomed here (well i speak for myself) because it pushes the mixers to make mixes for everyone. from cellphone speaker to 16-channel Home theaters with no compromises at all to either consumer.

I don't want people like you (no offense) to mix for headphones and cellphone speakers only. Stereo already died years ago, most mixes are mono with some phase stuff happening in stereo to sound good on boomboxes and the likes.

All in all, with the amount of complete dog-shit that the music industry devolved into since the CD became mainstream i don't trust the industry one bit anymore to manage and regulate itself. make loudness normalization mandatory on every streaming service and adopt dolby Atmos fully.

Last edited:

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lol, Dolby surely got a way to get money out of us just because they are big enough to make a big invesment and then wait for the returns. This world for now has lots of things open source, I am not sure if you can use some open source stuff to decode the thing coded by Dolby. There can also be open source ways of making the same thing as Dolby doing it now, but without anyone pushing it by paying a lot, it will be hard to get it out in the world.

OP
N

NestorM

you're really barking on the wrong tree here.

Atmos is actually welcomed here (well i speak for myself) because it pushes the mixers to make mixes for everyone. from cellphone speaker to 16-channel Home theaters with no compromises at all to either consumer.

I don't want people like you (no offense) to mix for headphones and cellphone speakers only. Stereo already died years ago, most mixes are mono with some phase stuff happening in stereo to sound good on boomboxes and the likes.

All in all, with the amount of complete dog-shit that the music industry devolved into with the CD becoming mainstream i don't trust the industry one bit anymore to manage and regulate itself. make loudness normalization mandatory on every streaming service and adopt dolby Atmos fully.
Note that you don't know anything about the DOLBY ATMOS mixing process.There is no such thing as a mix for cell phones and headphones. All the mixes are done on speakers, I'm 14, the only thing that changes is the export process, the DOLBY plugin does a binaural downmix. If I say that the mixes are made for headphones, it is because they are. AUDIOPHILIANS AND AUDIO FANS BELIEVE THAT THE INDUSTRY TURNS TO THEIR REDED, WHEN THEY ONLY REPRESENT THE.1% OF THE MARKET AND THE OTHER 99.9% IS NOT INTERESTED IN THE QUALITY OF THE AUDIO. FOR YOU TO LEARN A LITTLE MOST MIXING ING CHARGES USD 100 PER HOUR, A SONG IN STEREO TAKES APPROX 4 HOURS OF WORK, A MIX IN ATMOS TAKES 8 TO 10 HOURS. TO THIS ADD THAT THE MOST OF THE MUSIC PRODUCED TODAY IS INDEPENDENT AND THAT STREAMING PAYS A MISERY, WHAT IS REMAINING FOR THE ARTISTS?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Note that you don't know anything about the DOLBY ATMOS mixing process.There is no such thing as a mix for cell phones and headphones. All the mixes are done on speakers, I'm 14, the only thing that changes is the export process, the DOLBY plugin does a binaural downmix. If I say that the mixes are made for headphones, it is because they are. AUDIOPHILIANS AND AUDIO FANS BELIEVE THAT THE INDUSTRY TURNS TO THEIR REDED, WHEN THEY ONLY REPRESENT THE.1% OF THE MARKET AND THE OTHER 99.9% IS NOT INTERESTED IN THE QUALITY OF THE AUDIO. FOR YOU TO LEARN A LITTLE MOST MIXING ING CHARGES USD 100 PER HOUR, A SONG IN STEREO TAKES APPROX 4 HOURS OF WORK, A MIX IN ATMOS TAKES 8 TO 10 HOURS. TO THIS ADD THAT THE MOST OF THE MUSIC PRODUCED TODAY IS INDEPENDENT AND THAT STREAMING PAYS A MISERY, WHAT IS REMAINING FOR THE ARTISTS?
well then don't come complaining to that 0.01% when the industry has been fucking them over since music and sound became portable :p.

I'm more open to the idea of Dolby being in charge now because it can't become any worse than what it is right now.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm more open to the idea of Dolby being in charge now because it can't become any worse than what it is right now.

You're kidding, right?

You want music to become a locked down mess like movie playback is?

The last thing I need is another one of my hobbies to be ruined by (pseudo)DRM.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@NestorM You bring up a legitimate issue, but stop with the caps.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're kidding, right?

You want music to become a locked down mess like movie playback is?

The last thing I need is another one of my hobbies to be ruined by (pseudo)DRM.

I don't get to enjoy mainstream music at all as I should. So what's the harm really?

Just ask how many African and Middle-Eastern countries today would have rather remained colonies of France for example. the market being dominated by one company is not necessarily bad. Music didn't become worse just because MP3 was proprietary. With Atmos there is at least a chance of things going positively for us for once.

ebslo

Forum Donor
Companies push stuff I don't want all the time, I just don't buy it. What's the problem?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Companies push stuff I don't want all the time, I just don't buy it. What's the problem?
He's a music producer. not a consumer

There was never a time when artists like lady gaga and Taylor swift were in the green of the DR meter. I would go out of my way to PAY for these mixes yet along get we them for free with Apple music.

Yeah i don't trust the industry to do anything remotely decently anymore.

1638120929937.png

OP
N

NestorM

I'm impressed that you have a studio and you're only 14. You do need to work on your spelling. Yes, it's possible to read around the misspellings and CAPS and long blocks of sentences, but it's difficult and makes people more likely to skip the whole thing.
My native language is not English, sorry for the mistakes. The basic ATMOS setup is 7.4.1, I have 9. 4 .1. How weird is that?

ebslo

Forum Donor
He's a music producer. not a consumer
He clearly doesn't want to produce ATMOS, so where does the pressure come from? Maybe directly from the artists and/or publishers, but indirectly from consumers. If consumers don't want it neither will artist or publishers. ATMOS does nothing for me, so I'll vote with my wallet accordingly.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like Dolby is trying to impose some quality standards on the recording industry. Heaven forefend! Pls let them continue to push the 5db DR crap mixed exclusively for cell phones and boom boxes cuz that's where the Do-Re-Mi is baby! Where's my eight ball?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is Atmos mandatory for distributing music via iTunes or other popular sites?

OP
N

NestorM

Is Atmos mandatory for distributing music via iTunes or other popular sites?
Yes, for Apple music ATMOS is mandatory and for Amazon music it is Sony 360. As it is once a war of companies, it is not only for the music.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get to enjoy mainstream music at all as I should. So what's the harm really?

What?

Just ask how many African and Middle-Eastern countries today would have rather remained colonies of France for example. the market being dominated by one company is not necessarily bad.

Also, What?

Music didn't become worse just because MP3 was proprietary.

De facto, MP3 was never really proprietary, as regardless of legality in any given jurisdiction, there were plenty of free encoders and decoders.

With Atmos there is at least a chance of things going positively for us for once.

And no, because more importantly with MP3 if your actually cared about licensing anyone could always kick a few bucks to Fraunhofer or whoever and get official codecs.

Wake me when Dolby starts selling stand alone decoders you can easily insert into your playback chain of choice and you are no longer limited to approved "apps" and hardware.

OP
N

NestorM

For those who ask for a short answer. "Stereo does not belong to anyone, not companies or individuals, anyone can create and reproduce stereo" ATMOS is owned by Dolby and they decide what, where and how you listen to music. That is not a future I want to live in.

Top Bottom