• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8K TVs finally on sale

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's well explained here:
Ah that problem. I think of that as a source problem, not a TV problem, don't use source components that are broken and you won't have a problem.
This 24fps at 60fps thing drives me nuts, both to try and watch it, and that it's still a problem being caused by dumb manufacturers who shamelessly just don't seem to care their products are broken.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Ah that problem. I think of that as a source problem, not a TV problem, don't use source components that are broken and you won't have a problem.
This 24fps at 60fps thing drives me nuts, both to try and watch it, and that it's still a problem being caused by dumb manufacturers who shamelessly just don't seem to care their products are broken.

That problem exists on my Samsung KS7000 with every source file including Blu-ray remux files. It is a TV problem, not source, as explained in video.

Sythrix

It's well explained here:

This is one of the reasons I bought a Sony when I upgraded. They actually think about this kind of thing.

The only drawback is it works so well that if I watch on my computer or another device that doesn't compensate, I instantly notice the judder, whereas I never did before.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
That problem exists on my Samsung KS7000 with every source file including Blu-ray remux files. It is a TV problem, not source, as explained in video.

I know the real issue here...,

D40B4F3C-5895-4E36-AF62-7DC9D1C2EF2B.jpeg

garbulky

Major Contributor
Bring it on! I've been waiting for a serious upgrade over my current TV when I do so in about five years. Hopefully in a few years the prices will come down. I beleive my Intel I7 7700 K can handle 8k resolutions. May only require an upgrade in graphics card to bump it up to HDMI 2.1

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be nice if the TVs could just adjust their frame rate to the source like Gsync/Free Sync monitors can do now.

Is there any good reason why they still insist at running at fixed frame rates?

Sythrix

Oh sure.. Do you really think that Sony engineers know something that Samsung and LG doesn't? Think again.

Regardless of what they know, Sony implemented it and Samsung didn't (when I was picking a TV). I bought the Sony because of it. It doesn't concern me what their engineers know if they don't bother to pass it on to the customer.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you feed your TV 24fps it messes it up?
My TV (a much older Samsung) will do a horrible job if sent 60fps that should be something else, I ensure everything plugged into it sends 24fps at 24Hz, and it works perfectly. My main device used for this is a Samsung bluray player, mainly used for it's streaming services, it switches the TV perfectly between 24, 50 & 60 as appropriate for what it is playing, the result is perfect. Same with my Pi running Kodi.

cjfrbw

Finally, an excuse to get that 300' diagonal screen!

Honestly, I have found the upscaling to 4k for lower res sources to be it's best feature, even though I also like 4K HDR/Dolby Atmos when it appears on my OLED. I therefore surrendered to 4k. It's nice having computer monitors that are completely smooth and colorful.

I suppose, the question is how much better is 8k scaling from 4k scaling?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know the real issue here...,

View attachment 15186
Yes, not enough engineering departments know the value of a good lunchtime drinking session. I've lost track of the number of bugs that have resisting fixing for days that have been fixed by an obvious answer presenting itself after several lunchtime pints. The key is to go back to work when you can just about still type, if you concentrate.

Krunok

Major Contributor
If you cannot see a problem, but feel it could be better, maybe you need an audiophile HDMI cable, that will fix it for sure.

LOOL

I can definitely see the problem but I'm not sure how much of it is caused by 24fps format and how much my TV is screwing up.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to tell - I have a feeling it should be better.
Is this a 23.976fps vs 24fps issue on your TV? Or is it the motion blur from shooting at 23.976, which is low but gives cinema part of it's look. Some panning shots will look bad when correctly presented because of the frame rate they were shot at, that's just how it is.

Top Bottom