• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H95 Review (Streaming Amplifier)

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am not here to defend Hegel, but Who does listen above 12 O`clock?,I have rarely seen an amplifier operatino at 13 00 Hrs . usually that volume setting becomes unbearingly loud
In my formal living room and listening to classical. I'm 18' from the speakers...

Everett T

Forum Donor
Did you know that HEGEL has 5 amplifiers? And H95 is the most basic level. Think about how to sell them at least the H190 if it does not differ in sound? I have Listened every of 5. H95 is really not the most outstanding sound, but if you choose the acoustics correctly, it will play no worse than analogues for its price. The H390 plays very differently. H190 plays very differently. Try listening to music instead of measurements. Measurements have nothing to do with sound transmission quality.
3 of those amplifiers measure extremely well, and should at their price. This particular product is meh.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Late reply, but doesn't PM still have a link to a fuller spectrum of tech measurements that don't make it to the HFN text? Got to say I feel nauseous at the prices of much of the gear HFN reviews these days (a lot of it seems all casework too but I digress), but I'm sure the Miller Audio Suite prevails for those few of us who want to look deeper... The site also goes into description of the hardware itself and what it does.

Following your link, the last such full spectrum of measurements available being from 2014. I even registered with the site to make sure. It confirms what Amir said.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements have nothing to do with sound transmission quality.
Measuring air pressure, relative humidity and, the temperature will tell you a lot about sound transmission in air.
Just avoid farting while measuring. Incidentally, that is also valid in virtual exchanges on bulletin boards, try avoiding virtual farts.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which already raises some question marks...
Screenshot_20211127-154447~3.png
Screenshot_20211127-154447~2.png

Anyway, I'm still thinking this is actually a good amp, with textbook behaviour regarding power/impedance and THD Vs Frequency. It is just not competitive for its price and comes with somewhat unacceptable DAC performance. That's it.

pma

Major Contributor

Lambda

Major Contributor
together with CCIF 19+20kHz measurements.
And noise also in weighted or even mV/√Hz.
A single number for noise is not as helpful since noise at extremely low or height frequency is way less audible

Also measuring at 5W is fine but comparing a 20W and a 2000W at 5W is nor relay comparable.
Maybe at x% rated power would make more sense?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see. Relative is probably relative to the reference input level. Which, assuming the numbers are dB's, would mean the volume control provides 16 dBV additional gain. That could also allow you to overdrive the amp if the inputs signal is already at maximum input level. A lot of assumptions, which is why I asked for measurements.
I assure you, the amp isn't even remotely near clipping at 0 dB. Of course I'm offloading the F208's with a Purifi amp and 2 of the rear speakers with a Buckeye NC252MP so the internal amps aren't all being used.

pma

Major Contributor
Also measuring at 5W is fine but comparing a 20W and a 2000W at 5W is nor relay comparable.
Maybe at x% rated power would make more sense?
You will see distortion at different power in THD+N vs. power graph and I think this is shown here as a rule.

USER

Forum Donor
If Hegel wants to be treated (and measured) differently than a low end Yamaha receiver by the grown-ups it's got to make something better than that. That's the category they are in. Amir is absolutely right in testing the unit out the way he did.

Larry B. Larabee

Until Amir decides to standardize his test procedures this kind of thing will (and does) keep happening.
Anyone who claims that the tests for amplifiers, as they stand, are valid need only to look at this 600 plus mess of responses about an obviously mediocre product which is actually better than it appears to be and mostly in line with the manufacturers claimed specifications. Could we be any more excitable? Geesh.

Bogda

The problem with ASR results is that many of the results are irrelevant for 90-95% of present and future H95 users. Some will use line outs for connecting to external sub but only a few plan to use it for connecting to external amp. DAC is far from being SOTA but it is not as bad as SINAD results and final comment indicate.

Top Bottom