• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H95 Review (Streaming Amplifier)

Geert

Major Contributor
Just out of curiousness, where the other references that performed better, also tested at 98% capacity?
Define "98% capacity". I'm not trolling, the problem is a bit more complex than that.

mabar

Define "98% capacity". I'm not trolling, the problem is a bit more complex than that.
Well, at 98 out of 100 of maximum power, lets say well above clipping levels.
Im after fair comparisons.

Geert

Major Contributor
At first the volume control was turned to 98% to get to the preferred output level on the line out. At that point clipping was noticed, and further measurements of the amplifier stage were done with a reduced volume (not clipping).

By the way, 98% of a volume control range doesn't necessarily mean 98% of maximum power. It won't be for lots of integrated amplifiers.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Some never clip even at max output. Some are fine at the nominal 2V/4V levels used here. Look at individual reviews.

mabar

At first the volume control was turned to 98% to get to the preferred output level on the line out. At that point clipping was noticed, and further measurements of the amplifier stage were done with a reduced volume (not clipping).
Hmm, reading the review for volume levels again. I cant find a test where the volume level was lower than 95. Still above clipping level AFAIK.

Geert

Major Contributor
Hmm, reading the review for volume levels again. I cant find a test where the volume level was lower than 95. Still above clipping level AFAIK.
Can you give an example of a test where the volume control is over 95% and the amplifier is clipping, because I'm not sure I understand your comment.

mabar

Can you give an example of a test where the volume was reduced to below 0.55V at which the variable output according to the manufacturer has no clipping?

Geert

Major Contributor
Can you give an example of a test where the volume was reduced to below 0.55V at which the variable output according to the manufacturer has no clipping?
Why should I, it's you that came with a question. Why should tests of other equipment reduce the signal level to a level that only applies to Hegel's line out's?

mabar

Why should I, it's you that came with a question. Why should tests of other equipment reduce the signal level to a level that only applies to Hegel's line out's?
You seem to misunderstand me completely, never said that other equipment should adapt their levels.
But just that they should be tested at their optimal levels, not at 140% volume. For fairness?

HifMAn

Did you know that HEGEL has 5 amplifiers? And H95 is the most basic level. Think about how to sell them at least the H190 if it does not differ in sound? I have Listened every of 5. H95 is really not the most outstanding sound, but if you choose the acoustics correctly, it will play no worse than analogues for its price. The H390 plays very differently. H190 plays very differently. Try listening to music instead of measurements. Measurements have nothing to do with sound transmission quality.

pma

Major Contributor
To be fair, Hegel knows, or at least knew, what they are/were doing. Please see the attached measuring report, this is how the amplifier measurement report should look like.

Attachments

• NRKRapportH4.pdf
    283.1 KB · Views: 319

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Nothing" ? That's an assertion that I think almost no-one will agree with.
Yeah. Nothing.

This:
Bowers & Wilkins 607 S2 Anniversary Edition Frequency Response Measurement.png

is not brighter than this:
Genelec 8361A Measurements Frequency Response Powered Studio Monitor Speaker.png

Trust your ears!

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I cant find a test where the volume level was lower than 95. Still above clipping level AFAIK.
The amp testing was done at 95 as that’s where the amp provides a gain of 29dB, the THX standard and around the stated gain for most amps on the market. If lower volume level was used, then likely less wattage would be obtained.

In none of Hegel’s responses do I believe they contested that aspect, and we can see by the THD spec they give (<0.01% 8ohm 25W) that Amir’s test achieves that spec (he gets ~0.006%).

Last edited:
Top Bottom