• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Stellia Review (Closed Back Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 94 44.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 35 16.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 17 8.0%

• Total voters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting and of course I understood that you meant with EQ :) as my (unfortunately) limited personal experience with the Clear was different, as a longtime HD600 owner I really enjoyed the Clear when I listened to them at a friend, so I tried to make an EQ for the HD600 to make their response as the one of the Clear based even on different measurement rigs but never really achieved the same "magic", maybe I should repeat it with newer measurements from Oratory.
Worth pointing out the Clear have angled drivers which (but its been a long time since I looked at my HD600, they are with my brother) I dont believe the HD600 have. So even getting the tonality similar, I reckon there will still be a different presentation.

The Clear's stock response is somehow "drier" than the HD600 if you'll allow me to go full subjective for a moment.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You must be confused; I wasn’t the one who compared the Stellia to the HD800S. Perhaps re-read my comment in the original context, as a response to the following:
I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to suggest you made the comparison. Whoever did was comparing apples to oranges.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, my well-educated friend, you in fact would do this, as you have on other threads in this forum. You also seem to have used your education in order to read something that has not been written - and as someone here puts it in their signature - I'm responsible for what I write not for what you read.

In fact, you like to write these long novels without actually saying anything or answering questions - seen it in other threads.
I wrote about the industry, and called some reviewers shills, others like Zeos deaf - which he has proven many times over in his videos.

But you found this to be a personal attack, which is fine, I can't, and do not intend to stop people from jumping at the chance to become victims, in this case of their own making. I also don't mind your post or truly care about your credentials, or your (although well-written) boorish, poor attempts at insults. Pretty sure you're causing more problems for yourself than anyone here has caused as no one (as far as I have read) has come even remotely close to insulting you. But to each their own, some people like to find reasons to be insulted - imagining they are the center of attention and referenced in any thought expressed in the conversation. Oh, and the more you write about yourself the less impressive it all is and starts looking like overcompensating.

Focal makes unreliable products at every price bracket, their collaboration with Drop in the form of the Elex is a joke, the higher end cans are neither as comfortable nor have the SQ reviewers fawn over. The measurements are what they are. On the level of an individual, we like what we like, if you like them enjoy and rejoice. If it's out there, there are people who like it - from headphones to cars, food, movies and music and everything else - it's fine to like stuff. What most of us here react to are categorical, general proclamations of X being the best thing ever and that everyone should agree - when objective measurements clearly show it is not the best even in that one domain - and that's without getting to all other features one might judge more subjectively - for example, someone will surely find them uncomfortable, not like the build etc.

Now, my dear physician, calm down, put on your Focals, pour yourself a generous measure of whatever is your drink of choice, enjoy, and try not to feel personally attacked whenever someone disagrees with you.

P.S. In the future, just refer people to the post I'm citing so that you don't need to type your CV multiple times - or better yet, attach a PDF - will be quicker for you, and easier to ignore for us.
Fair enough, I’ll own my resorting to petty defensiveness by quoting my “credentials”. I will put an end to it as it never felt right to begin with. I just didn’t take well to being accused of having deaf ears, and I found his response to me to be highly demeaning in a way I didn’t feel I deserved at the time. If it was due to any claims of superiority I made in other posts, then perhaps it was deserving. Thank you for the honest feedback.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? Isnt the purpose of both identical? Why should the engineering underpinning a product be of any concern for a consumer/ user? The fundamental form and purpose of both types of headphones is the same, so why not compare them?
Only because they have vastly different performance characteristics, although I think my most significant cause of contention is criticizing open-backed headphones for lacking bass. But your point is well-taken, thank you.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I’ve gotten off to a wrong start on this forum and misrepresented myself in ways I would like to offer amends for. I don’t consider myself any more qualified or “educated” than anyone else on here, and I joined the forum and became a donor because I greatly appreciate its resources, efforts and spirit—and I was truly seeking friendship with like-minded enthusiasts of music who share my passion for it. If I can, I’d like to humbly ask for a reset and I’ll be more mindful of my attitude and approach moving forward. I sincerely apologize. Peace.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
From Drop "The four-pin mini-XLR connection allows compatibility with balanced cables."
Though why one would need to run such easy to drive 'phones balanced is a better question, especially at extra cost.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Though why one would need to run such easy to drive 'phones balanced is a better question, especially at extra cost.
That's a whole other subject for discussion, and I agree with you. When it comes to headphones, IMO, I think it's all perception "balanced equals better sound quality" regardless of the veracity of this belief. It's probably the last thing on the list of features that contribute to improving sound quality but it is definitely "nice to have" for those who love to personalize their headphones with overpriced silver balanced cables (not me, I got mine on Ebay used for a great price, and a bit ridiculous for silver balanced cables to cost more than the actual headphones)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
From Drop "The four-pin mini-XLR connection allows compatibility with balanced cables."

Yeah, but if the cups aren't wired for balanced connection, what's the point?

As an aside, the DT 770 Pro for the measly price of $135 for the 250 ohm version is a decent option, especially when EQed.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Or if the cups aren't wired for it.

Full disclosure:

I run balanced on my HD6XX and HE6SE -- the HE6SE actually needs it for power reasons.

For the Senns, it's just because it matches the extension cable I already have.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are your top 3 favorite headphones?
My favorite cans at the moment are my Focal Utopias that I rolled with Stellia pads!. The Utopia pads are fenestrated microfiber, while the Stellias are solid lamb skin and far less compressible. When I put the Stellia pads on my Utopias, the low end became noticeably more prominent, the bass slam improved considerably, and there was less leakage. Before the change I preferred to listen with the xBass feature on full with my iFi Pro iCAN Signature amp, and surprisingly I had to turn it off after the pad roll. I’m hoping to objectively confirm the changes with measurements once I accrue the cash for a headphone spectral analyzer—unfortunately they cost more than the headphones did :/

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My favorite cans at the moment are my Focal Utopias that I rolled with Stellia pads!. The Utopia pads are fenestrated microfiber, while the Stellias are solid lamb skin and far less compressible. When I put the Stellia pads on my Utopias, the low end became noticeably more prominent, the bass slam improved considerably, and there was less leakage. Before the change I preferred to listen with the xBass feature on full with my iFi Pro iCAN Signature amp, and surprisingly I had to turn it off after the pad roll. I’m hoping to objectively confirm the changes with measurements once I accrue the cash for a headphone spectral analyzer—unfortunately they cost more than the headphones did :/
My (late 2020) Utopias came with black fenestrated lambskin. I wonder if they changed it. My Original Clears have the fenestrated microfiber.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My (late 2020) Utopias came with black fenestrated lambskin. I wonder if they changed it. My Original Clears have the fenestrated microfiber.
They’re both actually; the stock Utopia pads are fenestrated lambskin surrounding microfiber mesh. The Stellias are imperforate cocoa colored leather.

It’s the lack of perforations that I hypothesize contribute to the sound signature differences I’ve subjectively experienced. The Stellia pads are solid, thick and firm, whereas the Utopias are, for want of better words, lightweight and squishy. I’m guessing they form a tighter seal during listening that contains some of the lower frequencies and fullness lost through the stock mesh material, but I only have my own ears to prove it.

The Stellia pads definitely outperform the claims made by Dekoni to potentiate the low end.

audiobasha

Oh boy lol. This review confirms my brief listening impression from this weekend. Accidentally auditioned these at a local high end hifi dealer (Command AV in Falls Church, VA). He had them hooked up to a Naim Unity Headphone edition amp, representing a $3000 value. So the system I was listening to was round about $6000 all in. And I didn’t like the sound at all. it was way too bassy for my liking and it was the sort of echoey or gooey bass, with no discernible tightness or control. The cans are luxurious and decent looking if a bit overdone, they were large around the ear and felt comfortable on the head. I can’t afford them but I wouldn’t have bought them even at $500 to be honest.

FullBright1

Oh boy lol. This review confirms my brief listening impression from this weekend. Accidentally auditioned these at a local high end hifi dealer (Command AV in Falls Church, VA). He had them hooked up to a Naim Unity Headphone edition amp, representing a $3000 value. So the system I was listening to was round about $6000 all in. And I didn’t like the sound at all. it was way too bassy for my liking and it was the sort of echoey or gooey bass, with no discernible tightness or control. The cans are luxurious and decent looking if a bit overdone, they were large around the ear and felt comfortable on the head. I can’t afford them but I wouldn’t have bought them even at $500 to be honest.

The sound of the Stellia is essentially the sound of the Focal Utopia in a set of closed.
Timbre wise the Stellia is slightly better. Resolution wise the Utopia is modestly superior.
The Utopia has more extended Treble, and the Stellia has a sweeter treble.
Bass is similar.
Mids are more dynamic in the Utopia and more Linear in the Stellia.
The Bass produced by the Stellia is outstanding but is less in quantity than the ZMF Closed, and Less in Quantity than the Meze Liric.
The DCA Stealth, has less bass volume than the Stellia, and much less punch and dynamics.
The soundstage of the Stellia is quite wide regarding a set of closed headphones, and the Soundstage of the Utopia, is quite intimate.
The Stellia is very amiable regarding pad rolling, (Dekoni).

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound of the Stellia is essentially the sound of the Focal Utopia in a set of closed.
Timbre wise the Stellia is slightly better. Resolution wise the Utopia is modestly superior.
The Utopia has more extended Treble, and the Stellia has a sweeter treble.
Bass is similar.
Mids are more dynamic in the Utopia and more Linear in the Stellia.
The Bass produced by the Stellia is outstanding but is less in quantity than the ZMF Closed, and Less in Quantity than the Meze Liric.
The DCA Stealth, has less bass volume than the Stellia, and much less punch and dynamics.
The soundstage of the Stellia is quite wide regarding a set of closed headphones, and the Soundstage of the Utopia, is quite intimate.
The Stellia is very amiable regarding pad rolling, (Dekoni).
I use the Utopias with Stellia pads, which to my ears considerably alter the bass response of the Utopias for the better. I don’t have any measurements to prove this, but my hypothesis is that the Stellia’s firmer and solid pads compared to the Utopia’s fenestrated light weight ones allow less dispersion of lower frequencies and boost the sub and low bass response in a noticeable way.

I used to listen to my Utopias with a considerable boost at 20-150 hz—typically around 5-6db. But since I bought the Stellia pads I don’t need to anymore—applying the same PEQ makes the bass too overpowering and bloomy. I also get fewer complaints from my husband about noise bleeding into the room. Those differences are the best proof I have at the moment of the impact this pad roll has on the Utopia’s performance—since I made this adjustment I’ve lost interest in using any other headphone I have in my collection!

FullBright1

I use the Utopias with Stellia pads, which to my ears considerably alter the bass response of the Utopias for the better. I don’t have any measurements to prove this, but my hypothesis is that the Stellia’s firmer and solid pads compared to the Utopia’s fenestrated light weight ones allow less dispersion of lower frequencies and boost the sub and low bass response in a noticeable way.

I used to listen to my Utopias with a considerable boost at 20-150 hz—typically around 5-6db. But since I bought the Stellia pads I don’t need to anymore—applying the same PEQ makes the bass too overpowering and bloomy. I also get fewer complaints from my husband about noise bleeding into the room. Those differences are the best proof I have at the moment of the impact this pad roll has on the Utopia’s performance—since I made this adjustment I’ve lost interest in using any other headphone I have in my collection!

Yes.

Firmer pads, especially non-perforated, should tighten, deepen, and enhance the bass.
Dekoni makes quite a few sets of pads for The Utopia that fit, of course the Stellia.
With the Utopia and the Stelliah, The more cloth in the pad the more the mids are going to come forth, and the bass is going to become more linear.
Treble also shines more extendedly with a set of pads on the Stellia that are : of cloth.
When you want more low end and slam, on both, use the harder pads and the balanced cables.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes.

Firmer pads, especially non-perforated, should tighten, deepen, and enhance the bass.
Dekoni makes quite a few sets of pads for The Utopia that fit, of course the Stellia.
With the Utopia and the Stelliah, The more cloth in the pad the more the mids are going to come forth, and the bass is going to become more linear.
Treble also shines more extendedly with a set of pads on the Stellia that are : of cloth.
When you want more low end and slam, on both, use the harder pads and the balanced cables.
I tried the Dekoni first and there is no comparison between the Stellia pads and those on the Utopia, in my humble opinion. I haven’t regretted the extra expense. Plus the chocolate leather mixed with the Utopia’s black accents looks terrific.

Top Bottom