• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8K TVs finally on sale

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I tell you, I hate going to CES and see all these demo displays that never get sold. That finally seems to have changed with both Samsung and LG announcing 8K TVs At IFA that can finally be bought. WIth commoditization of 4K/UHD, it is not surprising that they are going there, lack of content be damned.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3301474/smart-tv/samsung-and-lg-8k-smart-tvs.html

While a large part of the world is still at 1080p or lower resolution, and 4K UHD struggles to emerge from tech puberty, the TV industry thinks it’s time for you to buy an 8K UHD TV.

Samsung announced the October availability in the U.S. market of its 85-inch-class, 8K UHD, Q900 QLED LED-backlit LCD TV. Smaller models will be available in other parts of the world, but here in the land of the SUV, we get an 85 incher.

Samsung says there will be an uptick in image quality compared to other QLEDs, and that its online database of upscaling templates will produce sharp images from 1080p (1920 x 1080) and 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) material. As there’s practically no 8K UHD content available as yet (the 2020 Olympics promise 8K), that’s a good thing.

LG didn’t specify a street date—or even indicate which markets it will compete in—but the company has also announced a new 8K UHD TV. It’s an OLED, not surprisingly, an 88-incher. “LG’s first 8K OLED TV is the pinnacle of technological achievement and the next evolutionary step in display technology,” said LG Home Entertainment Company president Brian Kwon.

Neither company has revealed the price tags for these monster TVs, but rest assured, they won’t be cheap. And for the record, 8K UHD will have a 16:9 aspect ratio, same as the Blu-ray standard. So the full resolution will be 7680 x 4320 pixels, not 8192 x 4320. The main issue with 8K for now is the aforementioned dearth of content, though plans for delivery are further along than you might think.

8K UHD will eventually deliver greater detail in its purest form (i.e., not overly compressed), but it’s likely to remain a be-prepared-for-the-future, early-adopter technology for quite a while. We’re nonetheless looking forward to our first visit with an 8K UHD TV.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Let's see...

I have an 80" gap between the Left and Right, so, if the bezel isn't too big, that 88 just might fit...

Guermantes

Gotta get them on the shelves before the Tokyo Olympics!

Wombat

Master Contributor
What is the streaming download rate for 8K?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like finally video will manage what audio long has. The ability to display images in some respects that are beyond human perception. Once that happens, and for most purposes I think anything beyond 4k is about the dividing line, then we can have what we do with DACs. In 20 years we'll have 128k displays in a useless spec shootout. Or like cameras, that have megapixel counts way beyond most any normal useful level.

Krunok

Major Contributor
You mean the bit rate over the wire? If so, about 15 mbit/sec.

Heh, that's quite optimistic - 4K bitrate doesn't really go under 50-70 Mb/s when H265/HEVC is used.

Anyway, the problem with todays panels when playing movies is poor motion handling and not the resolution.

Sythrix

Screw the TVs where no one will notice. Minaturize the tech and put it in VR headsets where it will actually be useful in eliminating the screen door effect.

Sythrix

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Krunok

Major Contributor
He was asking for streaming content, not physical media. UHD Blu-ray allows up to 100 mbit/sec peak. See my article here: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ge-hdr-and-wide-gamut-video-technologies.669/

Ah, ok. Anyway, with that bandwith the picture would be crappy, as is the motion handling. But obviously from manufacturer perspective it is easier to address resolution, which is anyway not the problem with 4K, than the motion handling, as more and more equipment is sold in that scenario. Pitiful..

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Heh, that's quite optimistic - 4K bitrate doesn't really go under 50-70 Mb/s when H265/HEVC is used.

Anyway, the problem with todays panels when playing movies is poor motion handling and not the resolution.

High frame rate is the solution, but a completely new re-adaptation.
It does look like "soap opera" (60fps). Perhaps 120fps, I don't know.
New filming technology might be required.

* Ang Lee tried it with 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' @ 120fps (60fps on the 4K Blu-ray, the only one I am aware of and which I saw). There is no motion blur in that baby, the picture quality is pristine, but it's tough because of that soap opera effect. Personally I prefer the 3D version.

8K is a long way before we get content here in North America.
Even in Japan 8K is hardly broadcasted; let me find a link from a professional cinematographer...

Streaming 8K in true glory would required super Mbps internet speed.
On Blu-ray they would need to change the BR standard again to accommodate more than three layers (BD100) to something like five or more layers (multi rainbow BR discs, BD200-300).

They have laptops now approaching 8K resolution.

NorthSky

Major Contributor

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you explain a bit more about that problem please.

Top Bottom