• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 640 94.3%

• Total voters

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Could you please post a link?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now that whole wrinkled driver thing is also on Gearslutz forums
@amirm is also in that thread :)
I dropped out a few days ago. It just became so tiring to deal with a few folks constantly wanting to argue and sharing nothing useful.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Joachim Herbert

Decided to take the plunge after passing on the Dutch&Dutch. Boy, are these terrific speakers. Plus GLM is an amazing system. Room calibration was a breeze. Love it.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Many over there purport to be ‘engineers’ nothing could be further from the truth.
Keith

CMB

Decided to take the plunge after passing on the Dutch&Dutch. Boy, are these terrific speakers. Plus GLM is an amazing system. Room calibration was a breeze. Love it.
Exact the same same here.
May I ask why you passed on the DD?
I actually did not manage to get to listen to/see them despite many attempts as from before the summer.
I decided that the DD must be a too confidential speaker in my region

I certainly don’t regret.

Attachments

• D4BDFFE3-7AF7-4096-BD07-88B23EA79C15.jpeg
    D4BDFFE3-7AF7-4096-BD07-88B23EA79C15.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 1,038

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Exact the same same here.
May I ask why you passed on the DD?
I actually did not manage to get to listen to/see them despite many attempts as from before the summer.
I decided that the DD must be a too confidential speaker in my region

I certainly don’t regret.
at least the chairs mix well with the color from these genelec, lmao

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Congrats
Do you feel the soundstage is small or anything is "off"with the sound compared to non coaxial speakers?

turnip_up

Can you accuse ASR of it?

Probably happens everywhere, to some degree. There is certainly a lot of noise on gearspace... but there are also a lot of people there who have notched up some very serious hours of critical listening over long careers.

Congrats
Do you feel the soundstage is small or anything is "off"with the sound compared to non coaxial speakers?

They are great sounding speakers, but I still think placement is key to getting the most out of them. I have a pair of S360s here too. Sticking them side by side about 2 to 2.5 meters away, and the S360s just trounce them in every way shape, and form. Their soundstage, depth and clarity is just incredible. Move them all closer, to about 1m away and the story changes entirely.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
GLM AutoCal shows the measurement and applied correction for each speaker so you could posts those graphs.
For some reason @waldo2 has declined to post any evidence other than his anecdotal observations. Every request for evidence demonstrating his experience with Genelec monitors has been ignored.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Probably happens everywhere, to some degree. There is certainly a lot of noise on gearspace... but there are also a lot of people there who have notched up some very serious hours of critical listening over long careers.

They are great sounding speakers, but I still think placement is key to getting the most out of them. I have a pair of S360s here too. Sticking them side by side about 2 to 2.5 meters away, and the S360s just trounce them in every way shape, and form. Their soundstage, depth and clarity is just incredible. Move them all closer, to about 1m away and the story changes entirely.
So for midfield S360 is better and for near field 8361A is better? Interesting

waldo2

For some reason @waldo2 has declined to post any evidence other than his anecdotal observations. Every request for evidence demonstrating his experience with Genelec monitors has been ignored.
There is no evidence to post except for the sound I reported. I just wanted to let people know my experience with the speakers so that if they were acoustic music listeners they would maybe approach purchase with some caution. At least audition before buying. The only evidence there could have been was glm data, but I deleted glm a few days ago when I packed speakers. Also, I did did many glm adjustments and it would have been a mess to screen shot and post them for each speaker for each iteration. Can you imagine the mess the discussion would have been had Imsent along 8 to 10 screenshots without details of placement etc.? I realize now that few people here likely even listen to acoustic music and I tired to say that I like the speakers much better with electronic instruments and processed studio recordings. In any event, discount my views as you will. I would still like to hear the experience of someone else with these speakers who is primarily an acoustic music listener. Remarkably, a couple people here even doubted whether I had listened to the speakers or whether I was a ”shill” for somebody, like maybe Peter Walker‘s ghost put me up to it.

Also, I think maybe it is useful to take recording quality into account when judging speakers. We have very few excellent recordings of classical music, in my opinion. Most of it is close miked, and a bit harsh and not very natural. I think these speakers exacerbated that problem in my room. But that is what we have and those are on the only recordings we have to play on our stereos. If we had more excellent recordings, maybe ideal spinorama would suffice. But in the world we live in with the recordings we (I) have, I returned the speakers with no regret Despite the measurements.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
The GLM can not fixed an inhomogeneous decay along the passband and probably too high in the midrange.
When I read the description of his piece, I can sense that only the highs are absorbed.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Top Bottom