• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560s Owner's Thread.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I think your $154 might have been "Amazon Renewed" as in a returned headphone:
I'd be a bit wary about buying a return. Just buy a new one I think instead.

I'd grab it when it goes down to $165, see Camel tracker:
I put a new one in my cart a few days ago and I was surprised today by the price drop.

I checked again and it looks like the price is for new. See this screenshot:

Screenshot_20211119-080952_Samsung Internet.jpg

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Indeed, prices dropped further in the last day or two which surprised me since the HD560S has held its $200 price tag since release to just a few weeks ago. I would caution against ordering from Amazon though as I've read around that Sennheiser no longer trusts Amazon as an "authorized retailer" for warranty purposes (It's not a small secret that sloppily accepted returns wind up in Amazon's "new" supply chain). World Wide Stereo's own site has updated their price to $160 or you can order direct from Sennheiser's site using their coupon for peace of mind regarding the 2-year warranty. Your credit card might also offer a warranty extension as a benefit so keep that in mind should these fail within that window.

As an update from my end, I ordered mine from Sennheiser website last weekend (using a cashback extension and referral bonus to drop the total price+tax to $140). They sent me an email for the order confirmation but not one for shipping confirmation + a tracking number, and it came on Wednesday. It's a good thing I happened to be home that afternoon. :rolleyes:

As far as deal hunting there are a few cashback extensions out there that work with online retailers selling the 560S including Sennheiser and WWS and they are also offering substantial referral+sign up bonuses for the holiday season. If you want such a referral you can DM me for that so we don't get off track. It was a significant part of my decision to finally buy the HD560S at what I considered agreeable for its build quality.
I am Amazon Prime member and also have Amazon credit card. I want free one day shipping and easy return. Also, Amazon card gives 5% cash back too. So, I am leaning towards using Amazon.....

Thanks!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I put a new one in my cart a few days ago and I was surprised today by the price drop.

I checked again and it looks like the price is for new. See this screenshot:

View attachment 166649
If that's definitely a new one then I'd just buy it, I'd be surprised if it goes any lower than that.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
If that's definitely a new one then I'd just buy it, I'd be surprised if it goes any lower than that.
I purchased it at that price and got mine just now. First impression is that it is not as clean as my AKG K371. The packaging feels cheaper than my K371. May I know if these headphones need a bit of a break-in time? Thanks!

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
K371 dips at 4kHz (clarity range) where the HD560S boosts a bit above 1kHz. With poorer quality recordings this makes the HD560S sound not as 'smooth/relaxed'.

No burn-in needed but your brain does take some time to get used to the changed tonality. Do not switch between those headphones. Just use the HD560S for a week or so exclusively. The brain is a funny thing.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I purchased it at that price and got mine just now. First impression is that it is not as clean as my AKG K371. The packaging feels cheaper than my K371. May I know if these headphones need a bit of a break-in time? Thanks!

Thanks!
And you can always try the Oratory EQ. Break-in time is not really a thing, it's your brain adapting more than anything, and maybe the pads changing shape a bit, mostly brain burn-in though.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
K371 dips at 4kHz (clarity range) where the HD560S boosts a bit above 1kHz. With poorer quality recordings this makes the HD560S sound not as 'smooth/relaxed'.

No burn-in needed but your brain does take some time to get used to the changed tonality. Do not switch between those headphones. Just use the HD560S for a week or so exclusively. The brain is a funny thing.
Thanks for your suggestion of listening exclusively for a week. Will see if I ended up liking it. Amazon return policy is very good. I have until Jan 31 to return.

I guess I am just very used to K371. A few weeks ago, I tried my old $50 headphones that I haven't used for a while, just to compared. To my surprise, my old headphones sounded very muddy to me and I don't recall it sounded that bad....

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
And you can always try the Oratory EQ. Break-in time is not really a thing, it's your brain adapting more than anything, and maybe the pads changing shape a bit, mostly brain burn-in though.
I have been resisting using eq. I want something that sounds fine as-is, using my phone or desktop setup. What app would you recommend for Windows 10 for applying eq?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been resisting using eq. I want something that sounds fine as-is, using my phone or desktop setup. What app would you recommend for Windows 10 for applying eq?
HD560s should be pretty good without EQ, I only very briefly listened to it without EQ as I know I like the Harman Curve - I also value smoothly ironing out the frequency response and extending the bass. If you're using Windows, then EqualiserAPO is a no-brainer for EQ, it's a super flexible & free EQ platform. People normally recommend installing the Peace Interface on top of EqualiserAPO as it makes it easier to use in a more familiar "EQ slider" interface:
Personally I use EqualiserAPO bare without the Peace Extension, but that's only because I figured out how to use it efficiently, I started out using the Peace Extension on top of it, and I suggest you do the same as it's more accessible. EqualiserAPO (& Peace) = total freedom to apply EQ and as many EQ filters as you like.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
HD560s should be pretty good without EQ, I only very briefly listened to it without EQ as I know I like the Harman Curve - I also value smoothly ironing out the frequency response and extending the bass. If you're using Windows, then EqualiserAPO is a no-brainer for EQ, it's a super flexible & free EQ platform. People normally recommend installing the Peace Interface on top of EqualiserAPO as it makes it easier to use in a more familiar "EQ slider" interface:
Personally I use EqualiserAPO bare without the Peace Extension, but that's only because I figured out how to use it efficiently, I started out using the Peace Extension on top of it, and I suggest you do the same as it's more accessible. EqualiserAPO (& Peace) = total freedom to apply EQ and as many EQ filters as you like.
Thanks!

I just tried using my Samsung Note 9's "Adapt sound" app to eq the hd560 based on my hearing sensitivity.

At first, it showed that right and left side varies a lot in its freq response. I was worried. I then listened to music kind of loud briefly and measured again. This time it show both sides are pretty even in freq response.

I wonder if the headphones need a quick "kick start" from cold to sound normal.... or my hearing needs a kick start to sense the tones when running the auto eq program.
: )

This is first run of adapt sound auto eq results:
Screenshot_20211121-094424_Adapt sound.jpg

This is second run after I briefly listening to music loud:
Screenshot_20211121-101115_Adapt sound.jpg

This is AKG 371 using same auto eq app (from a while back):
Screenshot_20211121-094512_Adapt sound.jpg

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks!

I just tried using my Samsung Note 9's "Adapt sound" app to eq the hd560 based on my hearing sensitivity.

At first, it show that right and left side varies a lot in its freq response. I was worried. I then listened to music kind of loud briefly and measured again. This time it show both sides are pretty even in freq response.

I wonder if the headphones need a quick "kick start" from cold to sound normal.... or my hearing needs a kick start to sense the tones when running the auto eq program.
: )

This is first run of adapt sound auto eq results:
View attachment 167160

This is second run after I briefly listening to music loud:
View attachment 167161

This is AKG 371 using same auto eq app (from a while back):
View attachment 167162
(I don't place much stock in EQ by ear and not really as a roundabout way to determine channel balance either, but you have to do what works for you)

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
(I don't place much stock in EQ by ear and not really as a roundabout way to determine channel balance either, but you have to do what works for you)
What is interesting is that it is sounding cleaner with my phone today. Yesterday I tried hd560 for the first time with my phone and it sounded a bit muddy....

Did I get used to it so fast?

GalZohar

Interesting thing with the amazon deals, price trackers showing even cheaper prices than the 180$ but for just a few hours. I wonder if it'll happen again before they bring the 200$ price back (if they end up bringing it back to 200$). Amazon seem to like making short-term deals in general (be it 1 month or 1 day long deals).

Anyone using a mic with those? I'm not sure if to get a desktop mic (probably won't work well as I need noise cancellation / uni-directional and I'm not sure where I would place it), boompro (not available for me on Amazon, so would need a different seller) or a modmic (in which case not sure if the USB, 3.5mm or 3.5mm+sound card).
I'm wondering if sticking the modmic on the vented earcup would have any real effect on the sound.
I'm also wondering if the boompro can fit into those? Do they have the appropriate connectors?

The purpose is gaming (with voice chat) and for work calls while working from home.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
So far the lowest price I have seen in Amazon is ~$155.

I first saw it last Friday and that was when I bought mine. I saw $155 again briefly this morning, but then it went back to around $180.

I wonder if it will go lower during black Friday and cyber Monday.

GalZohar

Yep, a studio mic with Rode PSA-1 microphone arm attached to desk. You could get a decent sounding and dynamic USB mic like Samson Q2U and some cheap microphone arm. Dynamic mics are pretty good at noise rejection.
Don't they get in the way when playing/working? How far do you place them from your mouth?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting thing with the amazon deals, price trackers showing even cheaper prices than the 180$ but for just a few hours. I wonder if it'll happen again before they bring the 200$ price back (if they end up bringing it back to 200$). Amazon seem to like making short-term deals in general (be it 1 month or 1 day long deals).

Anyone using a mic with those? I'm not sure if to get a desktop mic (probably won't work well as I need noise cancellation / uni-directional and I'm not sure where I would place it), boompro (not available for me on Amazon, so would need a different seller) or a modmic (in which case not sure if the USB, 3.5mm or 3.5mm+sound card).
I'm wondering if sticking the modmic on the vented earcup would have any real effect on the sound.
I'm also wondering if the boompro can fit into those? Do they have the appropriate connectors?

The purpose is gaming (with voice chat) and for work calls while working from home.
I'd be a bit weary of covering up the vent holes on the back of the headphone, because it could affect the sound (frequency response). I know from experience that if you place your hands over or close to the back of open headphones then it changes the sound. If I was you I'd sort out a mic option that doesn't cover the vent holes at all.

GalZohar

So boompro would be the more sensible option? Although it seems to have availability problems, and seems like I need to mod the headset to detach the cable?

Top Bottom