• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H95 Review (Streaming Amplifier)

Amplifier dude

This is not about Chinese, UK, Germany, Norway...... This is about if you know how to put your best resources to the best use. The most important is if you have the technical know how to make a TOTL product. With ASR, a lot of audio product that do not have a sound fundamental will be weeded out.
I’m not arguing that. What I’m saying is the objectivist market is becoming dominated by the Chinese. So if you decide you want to enter the same market, and your costs to get the same product to the consumer is 3-4x what it costs your competition, good luck.

DanielT

Major Contributor
And people, stop making puns about Hegel, the other logical alternative would be Kierkegaard, and as much as I like that guy, he surely doesn't make a good name for an amp. Hegel is a good choice, nobody understood what exactly was his point, same as H95.

I think Fleksnes fits better.

Fleksnes fatalities (or mishap), also known as only Fleksnes, is a Norwegian comedy series

Title of the episode: An accident happens so easily.

Then it should be tapped on an amplifier instead. After that clapped and ready (the first seconds into the beginning of the episode).

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
In translation, if you‘re enjoying what you’re hearing because you don’t know how bad the objective performance is, are you only cheating yourself because if you knew the objective performance you’d be disgusted? In other words is ignorance bliss?

I think you misunderstood.

I do know how bad the objective performance is.

Vinyl being an easy example -- I've measured my TT wow & flutter and cartridge frequency response and know how imperfect they are. Same goes for my reel to reel deck that I've had to align and calibrate.

But they look cool and I find them fun, so that provides a cognitive bias subjective counterweight that makes it still enjoyable to listen to.

Amplifier dude

I think you misunderstood.

I do know how bad the objective performance is.

Vinyl being an easy example -- I've measured my TT wow & flutter and cartridge frequency response and know how imperfect they are.

But it looks cool and I find it fun, so that provides a cognitive bias subjective counterweight that makes it still enjoyable to listen to.
But don’t you feel naughty knowing that you spend lots of time on a forum that shames that kind of behaviour? In audiophile world, they call that a subjectivist. Me personally, I call myself a moderate. Turntables are too far left for me. But I don’t like my ears to bleed either.

DanielT

Major Contributor
But it looks cool.......
The taste is like the butt, divided.:)

Incidentally, there are countries other than Norway that ...

Edit:
Speaking of comparing. Wondering how my amp (now with silent Noctua fans) who I drive my sub with would stand up to that Hegel:

A little difference in price between them. Hegel costs ten times as much.t.amp .... it looks cool......:)

Sure as there was a DAC in the game. Then I throw this in then.

Attachments

• IMG_20211124_211419.jpg
    IMG_20211124_211419.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20211126_065138.jpg
    IMG_20211126_065138.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
But don’t you feel naughty knowing that you spend lots of time on a forum that shames that kind of behaviour? In audiophile world, they call that a subjectivist. Me personally, I call myself a moderate. Turntables are too far left for me. But I don’t like my ears to bleed either.

I have no shame in my vices.

As long as I don't claim they're *better*, I'm free to indulge preferences.

The error many subjectivists seem to make is seeking some kind of validation that their preferences for flawed reproduction is somehow "right" or "superior".

Whereas it's so much easier to say:

"Yeah, my turntable / tube amp / whatever measures like shit, but I like it."

Amplifier dude

I have no shame in my vices.

As long as I don't claim they're *better*, I'm free to indulge preferences.

The error many subjectivists seem to make is seeking some kind of validation that their preferences for flawed reproduction is somehow "right" or "superior".

Whereas it's so much easier to say:

"Yeah, my turntable / tube amp / whatever measures like shit, but I like it."
Can’t argue with that. Did the Devialet do that for you? The best part about knowing that poor objective performance can be enjoyable, is you discover a $100 system can provide you with it.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Can’t argue with that. Did the Devialet do that for you? The best part about knowing that poor objective performance can be enjoyable, is you discover a $100 system can provide you with it.

Did the Devialet do what for me?

I haven't had my Devialet exhibit any issues like BDWoody has.

I like my Devialet for the functionality it provides, its looks, its haptics. Does it have SINAD as good as a Benchmark? Nope. Do I care? Nope. Sounds good in my room with my speakers.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not arguing that. What I’m saying is the objectivist market is becoming dominated by the Chinese. So if you decide you want to enter the same market, and your costs to get the same product to the consumer is 3-4x what it costs your competition, good luck.
Proper engineering and benchmarking is not a market segment.

Amplifier dude

Did the Devialet do what for me?

I haven't had my Devialet exhibit any issues like BDWoody has.

I like my Devialet for the functionality it provides, its looks, its haptics. Does it have SINAD as good as a Benchmark? Nope. Do I care? Nope. Sounds good in my room with my speakers.
I mean the kind of sound you are happy with can be obtained with $100 of audio gear. So why spend so much to get a Devialet? Run a turntable though a $70 Chinese amp and you’ll get the same quality from the amp outputs from either the Chinese amp or the Devialet.

Amplifier dude

Proper engineering and benchmarking is not a market segment.
What many don’t understand is a segment of the audiophile community prefers the objective quality to be poor. Why do you think there’s such a large market for tube amps? Surely you’ve heard of subjectivist forums, tube amps, crazy tweaks etc. It’s that stuff that sells for the most.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I mean the kind of sound you are happy with can be obtained with $100 of audio gear. So why spend so much to get a Devialet? Run a turntable though a $70 Chinese amp and you’ll get the same quality from the amp outputs from either the Chinese amp or the Devialet.

Because cost is not an object for me.

I wear mechanical watches, too.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Budweiser under consideration is a traditionally brewed, rice-free European product, not the cheap U.S. quasi-Pilsner. :cool:
Actually, the U.S. beer is brewed in a style called an “American lager” or an “American light lager.” However, that’s a bit of a misnomer—most Australian, Japanese, Canadian, Mexican, and Central American beers are brewed in this fashion, as are some beers from other countries such as Tsingtao, Singha, and Kingfisher. Heck, even Heineken is close to this style, although more bitter.

Amplifier dude

It doesn't bother me. Audio isn't my investment portfolio. It's my hobby.

Although my record collection has gone up in value.

My cars depreciate, too.
You know it’s ok to admit that spending 70x the money for the same performance isn’t the best choice. Unless you want to explain how the performance is superior.

Top Bottom