• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

Lambda

Major Contributor
Connect analogue out to whatever analogue inputs you have on hand, and perhaps connect digital out to active speakers with s/pdif in. Some people
Why would you want to play the same signal to active speaker with internal dac and analog outputs?

Same as with Topping D10s,
This is an example for extremely stupid design.
An DAC without an digital inputs that can easily be switched or connected to multiple devices.

But wit an integrated USB to SPDIF converter that would otherwise cost 5-15€ extra.

poxymoron

Why would you need digital out on a Digital to Analog converter?
My active speakers have a DAC so with the analogue out to the speakers, the speakers would then have to convert from analogue to digital to do the DSP and then convert back to analogue again. Perhaps not degrading much but another conversion I would want to avoid. For now I'd be using only the LDAC bluetooth so a direct digital passthrough like the ifi Zen Blue V2 would have been ideal.

Veri

Master Contributor
This is an example for extremely stupid design.
Quite honestly, just your opinion. DAC with digital out plain and simple: connect DAC to head-amp and digital out to powered speakers. The use case exists. There are surely others.

Enough said.

Lambda

Major Contributor
DAC with digital out plain and simple: connect DAC to head-amp and digital out to powered speakers.
Or you take the same digital signal and send it to DAC and DAC inside the speakers.

The use case exists. There are surely others.
So dose use case exist for DACs with digital IN
And if the manufacture hast the choice of only one IN is the more Flexible option.

Veri

Master Contributor
Or you take the same digital signal and send it to DAC and DAC inside the speakers.
Hello? That's what I'm saying? Have you ever used powered speakers with AES or coax input?

I'm just saying the niche exists it's hardly prevalent but it exists, not sure why you're fighting this.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Hello? That's what I'm saying? Have you ever used powered speakers with AES or coax input?
Yeah and if you have a DAC with digital in like AES or SPIDIF or Toslink. then you can send the same digital signal to your monitors and DAC.
With out the need for any digital to digital extra conversion.

I'm just saying if there is an extra input OR output on a DAC i would like to have an extra input.
This way most system only need a single DAC and all your digital sources can connect to it.
PC/TV/CD/streamer and so on.

Having a dedicated DAC for every source is kind of wasteful.

If the DAC only has USB in well you can only connect one PC. And your can't do it isolated and prevent ground loops like with Toslink.

fritobugger

@amirm @SMSL-Mandy @SMSL_Liu

Amirm thanks for the review. First time poster, longer time reader. I am a fan of SMSL. I have been using an SMSL M8 for many years intially with a headphone set up and now with a speaker system (love my Revel F36). The only problem I have with the M8 is that it doesn't have an auto detection feature for incoming signals.

I don't see anything mentioned in the review about an auto on/off feature for the SU-6. I also don't see it mentioned in the owner's manual on the SMSL website. Does this unit have it or do I have to go with the Topping E30 or D50s to get that feature?

Thanks!

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
@amirm @SMSL-Mandy @SMSL_Liu

Amirm thanks for the review. First time poster, longer time reader. I am a fan of SMSL. I have been using an SMSL M8 for many years intially with a headphone set up and now with a speaker system (love my Revel F36). The only problem I have with the M8 is that it doesn't have an auto detection feature for incoming signals.

I don't see anything mentioned in the review about an auto on/off feature for the SU-6. I also don't see it mentioned in the owner's manual on the SMSL website. Does this unit have it or do I have to go with the Topping E30 or D50s to get that feature?

Thanks!
Thanks for the fans of SMSL.
It didn't have the suto on/off feature.but we can add this feature in the next version of the software, the hardware of su6 can be supported.
Thanks

fritobugger

Thanks for the fans of SMSL.
It didn't have the suto on/off feature.but we can add this feature in the next version of the software, the hardware of su6 can be supported.
Thanks
Thank you for the prompt response. Does the SU-9n have an auto on/off feature?

Lambda

Major Contributor
SMSL SU-6 Measurements USB Stereo DAC Bluetooth.png
What was the Volume setting and Input volume? what is the maximum output voltage?

What was the Level? has the DACs filter headroom for intersampel over or can it clip at 0dbFFS and full volume?
Also SINAD vs input level is missing?

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And hey, since the display is white, you can just add a green tint film to it and viola, a green display ;)
Seriously, I'm rather surprised that SMSL missed out on such a great marketing opportunity to take advantage of using white LEDs. It would cost very little to have included pre-cut film in a few different colors--say red, green, orange, and blue.

Tatteredmidnight

Seriously, I'm rather surprised that SMSL missed out on such a great marketing opportunity to take advantage of using white LEDs. It would cost very little to have included pre-cut film in a few different colors--say red, green, orange, and blue.
Or better yet, used RGB LEDs and let you customize the display color in software.

Kaval

Does anyone know what Bluetooth chip is used in this Dac?

The shenzhen audio and SMSL websites mention it contains the latest BT chip to decode LDAC 24-96. But I would like to know the name/model of that chip as Qualcomm has released several new chips in the last few months.

AMPaul

Does anyone know what Bluetooth chip is used in this Dac?

The shenzhen audio and SMSL websites mention it contains the latest BT chip to decode LDAC 24-96. But I would like to know the name/model of that chip as Qualcomm has released several new chips in the last few months.
most likely it is the one they used on su-9n- the QCC5125.

Top Bottom