• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Ema79

Buon giorno. Possiedo un topping D90 e un pre90. Ho appena ordinato la nuova guarnizione D90SE. Vorrei sapere se la compatibilità con l'uscita 5v dipende dal pre o dagli amplificatori. Se dipende dal pre, immagino sia perfettamente compatibile con l'uscita 5V, giusto?

NPWS

I have the Topping Pre90/Ext90 analog preamp. It has the same behavior.

I'm using the balanced inputs, and when I select the RCA or XLR + RCA modes, output is 6 dB hotter than XLR-only mode. I was expecting the Pre90 to do a better job of matching levels between modes. Failing that, I had imagined that gain in XLR-only mode would be greater, not less than modes that activate the RCA output.

I guess what it's doing internally is routing the full balanced voltage swing from the balanced input to a single-ended signal path when the mode enables the RCA output. After the signal passes through the volume control, the signal is routed to RCA outputs as-is but for the XLR outputs, the voltage is doubled, resulting in 6 dB higher gain. For XLR in, XLR out, there are no conversions to/from a single-ended signal path.

In short, I don't think there's anything wrong with your D90SE. Although the volume knob on your amp is higher when you're using XLR-only, this mode is giving you better signal-to-noise ratio out of the DAC. Don't get too hung up about volume knob position. Actually, depending on how the SA-1 implements volume, the results may be better at 1/2 o'clock than 10/11. :)
thanks for reply, really appreciate it.
I'm newbie myself, I don't really know about the technical way, but when my pal try his unit (he has same setup : d90se+sa-1) and he said that his unit was normal, the XLR only output bigger and more power than RCA only. that's really makes me wonder, what happened with my unit.
perhaps @JohnYang1997 can you please enlighten me?
thanks

Ema79

OK, voglio solo esprimere il mio totale stupore per il Topping D90SE. Sia il DAC che il preamplificatore sono eccellenti!

Come ho detto prima, possiedo il nuovo amplificatore integrato Marantz Model 30 ($ 4.000 CAD) e ho pensato che la sezione di preamplificazione del Marantz dovesse essere migliore di quella del D90SE.

Ebbene, dopo essere passati da entrambi i preamplificatori, sono rimasto scioccato nello scoprire che il preamplificatore del D90SE suona molto più soddisfacente del Marantz. È una differenza ovvia, non sottile... Per meglio intendo dire che suona più risolutivo; Posso sentire più dettagli. Il Marantz è "morbido"\arrotolato e troppo "caldo" in confronto. Il Topping ha grinta ed eccitazione, ed è molto più trasparente ma in qualche modo mai troppo clinico. Per me è quasi perfetto!

Onestamente sono scioccato e mi chiedevo se potessi sentire qualcuno di voi a riguardo... Voglio dire, a $ 4.000 il Marantz pubblicizza un'eccellente sezione di preamplificazione completa con il proprio alimentatore toroidale, componenti di alta qualità e il loro "famoso" HDAM tecnologia. Il Modello 30 è pubblicizzato come due unità separate che vivono in una scatola; equivale ad avere separazioni dovute al totale isolamento dei preamplificatori dall'amplificatore e da altre sezioni. A quanto pare, molto tempo e "accordatura" sono stati dedicati a questo speciale amplificatore Marantz e sono scioccato dal fatto che il preamplificatore del Topping D90SE sia molto meglio. Voglio dire, il Topping è un DAC da $ 1.000 con un preamplificatore inserito come fattore di comodità per gridare forte. ... Seriamente, come è possibile? - Mi sento derubato da Marantz!

Pensieri?

Before buying the topping pre 90 I had an Audia hiend preamp. Audia Flight pre MK 3.2 model. The best pre ever had, yet inferior to the seasoning. This little object really surprised me positively. I sold the Flight and got the D90se as well. And I also have a lot of euros left over.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Buon giorno. Possiedo un topping D90 e un pre90. Ho appena ordinato la nuova guarnizione D90SE. Vorrei sapere se la compatibilità con l'uscita 5v dipende dal pre o dagli amplificatori. Se dipende dal pre, immagino sia perfettamente compatibile con l'uscita 5V, giusto?
Prima di comprare il topping pre 90 avevo un preamplificatore hiend della Audia. Modello Audia Flight pre MK 3.2. IL Miglior pre mai avuto, eppure inferiore al topping. Questo piccolo oggetto mi ha veramente stupito in positivo. Ho venduto il Flight e ho preso anche il D90se. E mi avanzano anche molti euro.
This is an English forum, please just have the courtesy to translate to another language and then translate back rather than posting in your native language, we don't understand it.

Ema79

This is an English forum, please just have the courtesy to translate to another language and then translate back rather than posting in your native language, we don't understand it.
Google automatically translates from English to Italian. Unfortunately this happened but I had written in English.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any ides what changed with the new driver? - Anybody know? (Other than Windows 11 compatibility)
Win11 is something from v5.25.

Here is the OFFICIAL information:

-----------------------------------------------------
V5.27.0 (October 19, 2021)

* Fix: fixed a security vulnerability (update recommended)

* Chg: DSP Plugin (Mixer) now works with IN or OUT only devices

V5.25.0 (October 4, 2021)

* New: support for Windows 11 (21H2)

* New: tested with HLK for Windows 11 on W11 version 21H2

* Chg: improved tracing/statistics

* Chg: now using SignTools 1.9

* Fix: possible infinite loop in MIDI RX

Saffy

@JohnYang1997 Should the volume level go down 2 or 3 dB when using the RCA and XLR at the same time? When I'm listening through the rcas the volume will be at a certain level but when I switch to both rca and XLR it gets quieter.
Output signal is higher using XLR on the Topping D90/se

rlwings

Just noticed the Topping D90SE received a big price drop on Amazon Canada! $1,169 -> $993 (CAD of course).

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just noticed the Topping D90SE received a big price drop on Amazon Canada! $1,169 -> $993 (CAD of course).
Black Friday?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably... Or maybe ther're not selling as planned. :\ - I did my part though. I bought two of them! - Love 'em!
How much in US $?

Last edited:

thejck

this will work as a pre-amp?
I just need a USB dac as I only use a PC for source.
I want to use it to drive a parasound hca 3500 amp and tower speakers.

Any issues with win11 so far?

Digi

Placed my order today for the D90ES at Apos. Looking forward to get it delivered this week. Going to use it as an external DAC with my Bluesound NODE over Coaxial until Bluesound releases the firmware that would enable the USB out in the NODE.
Hello, How does the combination Bluesound Node 2021 with Topping D90SE sound? Would you say that this D90SE is an excellent buy at its price? Thanks.

Eddy H.

Hello, How does the combination Bluesound Node 2021 with Topping D90SE sound? Would you say that this D90SE is an excellent buy at its price? Thanks.
My Bluesound node 2i sounds great with my D90se. I've found that it sounds the best using the coax cable.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Bluesound node 2i sounds great with my D90se. I've found that it sounds the best using the coax cable.
I have the same combo and it sounds sublime.

Eddy H.

Is anyone using the i2s input on this dac? I'm curious to know how it sounds. I would really like to see some measurements on it and the other 3 pin port.

Top Bottom