• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin posted the Emotiva Airmotiv T2+ tower speaker review

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Not a fan of the look at all, but I don't hate them and for the money saved when considering the reported performance, I can forgive the looks.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not liking the aesthetics either, reminds me of some ridiculous stealth fighter tacticool stuff.

But really nice test results. Since the B1+ did well I think it's quite safe to assume the smaller T1+ is a good buy too.

Colonel7

I kinda dig it. They look like speakers for the muscle car enthusiast (which, ironically, I am not :D)
1637690728852.png
G-Shock speaker styling

Shazb0t

It looks like they might benefit some in the future by utilizing a larger tweeter with higher power handling.

Haint

Quite good performance, but possibly the ugliest aesthetic currently in production. It legitimately does look like a White Van speaker.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did you find them for 1750$?
They can be found for ~1250$ here.
This is just one pair of ex demo/showroom and was also the only one I found, so no real option:

"1 pair as new exhibitors in original packaging"

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks decent. Particularly for the price! But I just find it so very annoying that Emotiva and other companies insist on continuing with making loudspeakers passive. Emotiva have done good actives in the past, so they know how to do it. It's really trivial these days to make speakers active, with all the benefits it entails. Do we really give audio companies a pass on this in 2021...?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks decent. Particularly for the price! But I just find it so very annoying that Emotiva and other companies insist on continuing with making loudspeakers passive. Emotiva have done good actives in the past, so they know how to do it. It's really trivial these days to make speakers active, with all the benefits it entails. Do we really give audio companies a pass on this in 2021...?
I think they are an amplifier company first and foremost, so it makes sense(from a business perspective) to sell passives that can be paired with their amps. I agree performance suffers a bit, but honestly not by much when the passive design is great(as it is here). Also, for HT, actives can be a bit of a pain. My main multichannel music system atm is all active, and having to run 11 extra power cables is tricky, and ugly. Luckily it's in the back of house where guests rarely venture.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, I own this speaker(though I haven't listened to it in a long time). A few years ago, I compared it directly with the Infinity R263. I had a very slight preference for the Infinity(sighted), but seeing these measurements kinda makes me want to break them out of storage. Maybe the ugliness biased me :D.

Based on all the speakers I've heard/owned in this class, I'd say the R263, T2+, and JBL 580 are best in class. I actually slightly preferred the 580 over the Infinity, and right now it's it's 64% off. A steal at that price(imo). One problem with the JBL, though, is that there isn't a matching 3 way center, so it really only works with 3 towers and an acoustically transparent screen.

A 3 way blind shootout with these 3 towers(Emotiva, JBL, Infinity) would be super fun. All three are great for the price.

JSmith

Master Contributor
They look almost white-van as it is.
Yeah not far off...

525x525px-LL-df37942b_vbattach167645.jpeg

... still, better than these puppies;

2005294-ugly-speakers-dahlquist-dq10.jpg

All pics don't show any grilles... is this an option with these Emotiva speakers? They do scream value in many ways... apart from that look.

JSmith

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
They are awesome!

2005294-ugly-speakers-dahlquist-dq10.jpg

How ugly can you get? Seriously, I can see 1980s Philips (the 8 sided driver), Motorola or maybe Radio Shack/Daichi? (the Piezo KSN 1005A bullet tweeter). That dome mid sure looks familiar too.

A new kind of ugly for sure.

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Yep we happily give them a pass as many of us are quite happy with passives. Luckily for fans of actives you have plenty of quality choices so enjoy. The benefits that some perceive in actives can be construed as risks for others. For example, I don't feel at all like having my entire system embedded in the speakers so that if something goes bad, and something can always go bad I would lose the whole system. Separates take up more room, but they have their advantages. Each to their own so for me, yep, big pass for passives.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Emotiva largely markets towards the HT market, and they generally tend to prefer passives as I understand it. I agree, for music there's little advantage for passives.

Haint

Think I've mentioned this before, but I would hazard a guess the majority of traditional box speakers today are purchased for "Home Theater" use, which doesn't necessarily mean dedicated room or proper placement, but more so just the idea of mixed media use (TV, Movies, Videogames, Youtube, Music, Etc...), which includes all the haphazard setups in livingrooms, gamerooms, bedrooms, ect... Actives are largely undesirable in that space as Processors and AVR's with full preouts are quite rare/expensive and virtually no one has XLR/RCA cables or Wall Plugs at 9, 11, or 13 locations.

Last edited:

pierre

Forum Donor
This speakers are good and react well to some light EQ:

Pref Score is 5.8 and goes to 6.5 with a light EQ. If you boost the bass (it will cost you -8dB on max SPL, score goes to 7).
Since the speaker is well designed, the LW is very good out of the box. Here the EQ is optimising for a flat PIR and that makes the speaker less good on axis (and on the LW). Depending on your room that may be a good idea or not. I don't think I would EQ the speaker based on this measurements, improvements are marginal and the original PIR is already very good.

For 1k, they did a very good job, add Dirac or similar and you have very good speakers. The sweet spot will not be very large but depending on what you like (wide v.s. narrow) dispersion that could be a plus.

filters_spin.png

filters_pir.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
Above 500Hz pretty similar general trends as NRD posted last year

You must factor in scale differences

1637819600130.png

Top Bottom