• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

cecelo01

Well, my another hobby is electronics.

Some years ago I did modded my Sound Canvas (from Roland) to be able to use I²S. So I'm aware about how I²S works (their PROS & CONS).

I²S was invented to be used as INTERNAL connection right on PCB, and nothing else. In other words, NEVER as an external connection.

I²S is VERY picky on clock signal. You will get a WORSE quality than USB for sure. You might "think" is better, but it is not.

If my memory serves me well... Amir did performed some tests months ago (or perhaps years). And using the right tools for it, not just "I think is better" guessing. It confirm what I'm talking about.

Before you ask for SoundCanvas, here you go... a video with my circuit working:
I agree ;)

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Gradius,

I agree with you and gave up on explaining this issue to user Reynaldo. It's stubborn. :facepalm::D
Really? lol

Well, this audio stuff is confusing some for sure. Worst thing ever was with mqa.

Then I²S and recently "premium fuses" (yep!). :D

"Premium hdmi cable" as well. Just a proper, well made hdmi cable, is more than enough too.

rozel

All, my first post since reading copious threads on this forum. As an audiophile, I am relatively new to the world of DACs but this thread on the Gustard X16 has provoked me much as to whether I would notice any difference with my existing one. I am enjoying great music with this one presently: -

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32895957403.html - it is the Crystek CCHD-575 "Gold Bundle 2" kit, the one with the Muses8920 OpAmps, Amanero Combo384 USB card and the Sabre ES9038PRO DAC. The USB card though has been upgraded to a Singxer C-1, and am using it with an ISO REGEN and a Linear PSU. The signal eminates from a Zidoo (Android 9) Streamer (media player) using UAPP from local files stored on its internal HDD

Obviously I am reading that the Gustard can decode MQA which is something I'd like to hear. And, yes I have read @amirm 's thread about the ISO REGEN, so not sure if my present REGEN combo would add value to the Gustard. I don't want to start a debate here though.

I'm just wondering if the DAC I have is essentially better than the kit I bought above.

Thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm just wondering if the DAC I have is essentially better than the kit I bought above.

Thanks
The kit above is something clumsily put together. So yes, the "trusted brand" DAC you have is in many ways the reliable one. Don't go with no-name aliexpress products, you really don't know the performance of the thing you'll end up having in your hands.

rozel

Thanks @Veri Haha! My current DAC is the clumsily put together DAC from AliExpress - so you are confirming the Gustard X16 is better or are you?

Skinner001

Haha! My current DAC is the clumsily put together DAC from AliExpress - so you are confirming the Gustard X16 is better or are you?
You're in the review thread, the very first post answers that question quite nicely. :D

rozel

@Skinner001 l'm just confused because yes I got my existing DAC form AliExpress and if I get the Gustard, that too will be sourced from AliExpress also. It is just that I have read little about my DAC - not even sure what it is called other than it is a, kit DAC, whatever that means, but it plays and sounds nicely. I Just want to be sure that the Gustard will be a step up in my system.

Veri

Master Contributor
not even sure what it is called other than it is a, kit DAC, whatever that means, but it plays and sounds nicely. I Just want to be sure that the Gustard will be a step up in my system.
Well if you're happy with it, it's actually unlikely there will be a drastic/noticeable difference.. :)

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Thanks @Veri Haha! My current DAC is the clumsily put together DAC from AliExpress - so you are confirming the Gustard X16 is better or are you?
Might be a translation thing but clumsily is not an appropriate word imo in this instance. What I would guess he was trying to say is that the no name dac is an unknown quantity. It could be better, or the same or worse. With most peoples experiences the Unknown products are often not as good as the brand with a track record and support and testing. This is not always 100% because sometimes the known brands begin their existence as small providers selling unknown products. If you own both Dacs, what do you hear?

Veri

Master Contributor
Might be a translation thing but clumsily is not an appropriate word imo in this instance. What I would guess he was trying to say is that the no name dac is an unknown quantity. It could be better, or the same or worse. With most peoples experiences the Unknown products are often not as good as the brand with a track record and support and testing. This is not always 100% because sometimes the known brands begin their existence as small providers selling unknown products. If you own both Dacs, what do you hear?
Yeah, exactly. Here is one such "nobrand" ESS 9038PRO DAC...
Channel inconsistencies, pretty shabby performance, ...

rozel

I don't own both DAC's, I'm just contemplating buying the Gustard X16. I was hoping that having broken down a bit how my kit DAC was built up, that more experienced people on this forum could say how it fairs alongside the Gustard, given the length of this thread

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I don't own both DAC's, I'm just contemplating buying the Gustard X16. I was hoping that having broken down a bit how my kit DAC was built up, that more experienced people on this forum could say how it fairs alongside the Gustard, given the length of this thread
I have the x16 it is a very good dac. If you are happy with what you are hearing, I would not rush out and switch.

rozel

Haha! I've just read this by @amirm :- "Now you are starting to talk like me. :) Having measured a few of these things the lesson is clear: do NOT shop on basis of parts used in DACs. The best DAC chip can be ruined with poor implementation. Take the cleanest, most pure water and serve it in a dirty glass and you have dirty water."

I think I'll get the Gustard - it will be interesting to compare

rozel

I have the x16 it is a very good dac. If you are happy with what you are hearing, I would not rush out and switch
Thanks but it's just that I've not heard for myself a different DAC than my kit one. Only thing about the Gustard is that I've read that it's prone to problems with DSD playback. Also, feeding it from UAPP installed on Android will it play DSD512 natively?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Thanks but it's just that I've not heard for myself a different DAC than my kit one. Only thing about the Gustard is that I've read that it's prone to problems with DSD playback. Also, feeding it from UAPP installed on Android will it play DSD512 natively?
I do not use dsd but others here should have some info.

Reynaldo

I used Gustard X16 with Mac mini + Audirvana and never had any problems with DSD.
I also used SMSL SD-9 with Gustard X16 and it worked perfectly with DSD.
Most of my discs are SACD ISO.

If you are going to use I2S check the compatibility of the devices with Gustard X16.

rooster.jorge

This review is from more than 1 year ago!!! But I am just getting one for myself. Is it still worth the trouble?? It is shipping from China. I have lots of pages to read as they are 154 so far. But, are there any hints and tips you can give me right off the bat about this dac? thank you.

rozel

This review is from more than 1 year ago!!! But I am just getting one for myself. Is it still worth the trouble?? It is shipping from China. I have lots of pages to read as they are 154 so far. But, are there any hints and tips you can give me right off the bat about this dac? thank you.
Hi buddy - I'm in the UK and ordered mine on 1st November from China - arrived 17th. So far no issues whatsoever. Before ordering I read through this entire thread, all 154 pages which will give you masses of information.

However things to note: - Turn NOS off (unless you upsample your files) : Choose the L-Fast PCM filter (this seems to be the popular choice but let your ears choose) : there are no filters when playing DSD files : there's no Standby option, you need to turn off the switch at the back after your sessions - think it will utilise circa 15kwh otherwise : adjust volume using your amp - leave the X16 on "0db" : enjoy! - it certainly knocks the pants off my previous Chinese Kit-DAC, despite its es9038Pro chip and Singxer C-1 USB interface card and utilising a ISO REGEN/USPCB/Linear PSU - this straight out of the box. If you can avoid Fedex, they're absolutely c**p with their tracking and "operational delays".

Top Bottom