• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This DAC must be hot off the oven coz the SMSL website doesn't list this as their product yet. I was searching for what type of dac chip this unit is using.
Announcement date is December 1.

F1308

Major Contributor
Those 1/4 jacks are supposed to be unbalanced (TS plugs) because they are not labelled as balanced (TRS) ?

Paolo

Announcement date is December 1.
May I ask how that works? I’m curious, did the company wanted a early reveal in this forum? Sound pretty unusual without official marketing from a product company perspective.

raif71

Major Contributor
Thanks @amirm for the review and congratulations on something I don't think I've ever seen before - your review of the SMSL SU6 is the only, and I mean the only, result that Google returned when I did a Google search [SMSL SU6]! As with @raif71 I wanted to know what chipset SMSL used [is it an ESS mobile chip or the Rohm used in their D300?] , but I guess until SMSL or Shenzhenaudio get it up on their web sites [or @amirm gets permission to open it up] I'll have to put up with my curiosity unsatiated. Like @amirm I'm really taken by the aesthetics of this little thing. I know I had a real whinge about the aesthetics of the display on the SU-9, but SMSL's latest offerings are much more to my liking with this and the D300 being very nice indeed. Really, for the price this is excellent and ought to be near the top of anyone's list looking for a sub $200 unbalanced dac. [Come on SMSL, stick some trs jacks on this thing and give the Topping E50 a run for its money:)]
Yup, in fact Singxer SU-6 had more results :)

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
May I ask how that works? I’m curious, did the company wanted a early reveal in this forum? Sound pretty unusual without official marketing from a product company perspective.
The lead times to ship and get stuff tested by me is variable and long. Because of this I sometimes get stuff earlier and if they want to, I go ahead and post the review in advance of the formal release date. This was one of those cases.

In general, companies in China are not so strict about announcement dates and such like western companies are.

JSmith

Master Contributor
did the company wanted a early reveal in this forum?
I'd suggest it's quite a prudent move, having the product tested here before launching the product and gives them an opportunity to compare @amirm's measurements to their own as confirmation.

That said, does it really matter how SMSL have chosen to release their product? :)

JSmith

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree. If this has volume control on the remote, which I suspect it does, it is an excellent choice for an unbalanced DAC with multiple input options. If the Bluetooth supports LDAC, even more so. However, the Topping DX3 Pro+ adds a knob and a good headphone amplifier for only $30 more, although it uses an external power supply. For desktop use, it would probably be the better value.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We know indirectly from SMSL producing a DAC without external supply. It worked great on Coax but not USB due to running out of power. It was said that the DAC itself could be powered by USB 2.0 but not once you added a display to it.
The Motu M2/M4 are bus powered with LCD displays and manage to fit within the 500mA USB 2.0 max.

Granted, no bluetooth. I don't know if that would push it over.

bogi

Topping E50 measures better on RCA out but also costs $100 more, does not have bluetooth input and requires external +5V power source.

Any idea what DAC chip is SU-6 based on?

vkvedam

Forum Donor
A neat little DAC, still a bit sceptical about SMSL's reliability. I have more confidence in Topping's products given the level of support and @JohnYang1997 's presence and active involvement :)

gvl

Major Contributor
A neat little DAC, still a bit sceptical about SMSL's reliability. I have more confidence in Topping's products given the level of support and @JohnYang1997 's presence and active involvement :)

As long as you don’t need to use SPDIF with Toppings it’s all good.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I had returned a SMSL M300 when it had horrible noise when I switched sources (In my case it was from Amazon music to either Roon or JRiver). I suspected a handshake issue with the DAC. I didn't troubleshoot further...it may have been something else....but my Gustard doesn't do that.

Paolo

I'd suggest it's quite a prudent move, having the product tested here before launching the product and gives them an opportunity to compare @amirm's measurements to their own as confirmation.

That said, does it really matter how SMSL have chosen to release their product? :)

JSmith
For what I understand, there are companies using Amir's consulence during development, and that's smart.

But it's different matter to the public communication.
I work for a manufacturer – not audio related – and, if and when we gives product for evaluation before the announcements, they are, without exceptions, regulated by Non Disclosure Agreements that can reach millions in fines for breach of the agreement.
Especially online, years of work and investments can go the highway in a matter of minutes if you're unable to tell your prospect customers the right version of the product story.

This does not imply a want to control what reviews says, even if you want fair and honest judgement you still need to present the product in the right way, highlight why you did the choices that informed design, engineering and so on. People thinks companies are always evil in that regard, but I know how you feel when a products goes out in the wrong way and the market starts to criticize for all the wrong reasons, maybe just because someone tried, for instance, to use you paper cutter to cut meat…

Top Bottom