• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe you are right at least on the point of "Gnd in xlr should always be to chassis".

Our discussion here, however, is on XLR-RCA adaptor having "Pin 3 to ground"; is it just possible higher distortion/noise/ground-loop-hum, or also with "possible" harm to DAC and/or amplifier? I have a memory of reading about "possible harm", but I cannot remember the exact source(s) or web page(s) on that.

The further discussion on this issue is beyond my knowledge and understanding. I would like, therefore, to entrust expert people in audio signal handling for further discussion on this issue, please.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If we speak "pro" standard, it has to support... standards.
And it has to be designed to last under any normal (and anormal) use, which, of course, includes using standard connectors and adapters.

That's one major difference between pro audio and audiophoolery.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe you are right at least on the point of "Gnd in xlr should always be to chassis".

Our discussion here, however, is on XLR-RCA adaptor having "Pin 3 to ground"; is it just possible higher distortion/noise/ground-loop-hum, or also with "possible" harm to DAC and/or amplifier? I have a memory of reading about "possible harm", but I cannot remember the exact source(s) or web page(s) on that.

The further discussion on this issue is beyond my knowledge and understanding. I would like, therefore, to entrust expert people in audio signal handling for further discussion on this issue, please.

The discussion has been that pin-3 to ground causes the source device to attempt to drive power to ground which may or may not be a problem.
The best approach is the float pin-3.

- Rich

Last edited:

dartinbout

I just connected the Emotiva xlr to rca cable to my Paradigm Servo 15. I get a very faint buzz 3dB at 6" away. I find that acceptable in an apartment where the ambient background noise hovers around 26 dB. Listening to 5.1 music at 60-75 dB with the sub XO at 60 is freaking wonderful. This DAC8Pro is the very best Christmas present I've given myself in years.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
now if only they would start taking orders so the rest of us who have been waiting and waiting and waiting could order 1!

dartinbout

I found mine on EBay after a few months of setting an alert. I'm just guessing that Okto is a small operation with the same supply chain issues the rest of the world is suffering from. Let me confirm that it well worth whatever wait it takes.

dartinbout

I came here to post the announcement as well. Merry "freaking" Christmas to all of us who want the best but still love a bargain. What a price to performance ratio!!! Marvin Gaye in surround, last night, followed by new episodes of "Witcher" and "Expanse" in glorious 7.1. Quarantine never sounded better!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not think Amir tested anything other than channels 1/2 and of course the current dac8 pro is different from what he measured which was a prototype.

I do not have the measurement capability that Amir has but in simple measurements with a MOTU M4 as an ADC all channels have been identical other than the timing issues when using the AES inputs documented here. I've been meaning to remeasure with my MOTU Ultralite Mk5 which has a better ADC than the M4 but do not anticipate any significant differences.

Michael

dartinbout

Anybody get their order accepted yet?

dartinbout

I think we'd all be interested in what your firmware eventually is. As a 2nd owner, I am hoping to get whatever revision you receive, eventually. I am having no issues with my use as a multichannel, dsd DAC but I'd be curious If I am missing any functionality. I am loving this innovative addition to my setup Classical, jazz, rock it all sounds wonderful. I've got a 5.1 DSD128 version of the Allman Brothers Fillmore east show. Duane and Dickie light up the room, with fireworks, like never before.

Richard G

Forgive me if it's mentioned somewhere in this very long thread, but if and when you order a dac8 PRO, can you specify its output voltage?

.. If so, I'll have to start thinking about what voltage to request

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Forgive me if it's mentioned somewhere in this very long thread, but if and when you order a dac8 PRO, can you specify its output voltage?

.. If so, I'll have to start thinking about what voltage to request
I did that. I ordered 10Vrms on xlr outputs 1 and 2 so I could bypass the buffer stage of my Purifi Eigentact and still have enough voltage to drive it to clipping. Was around $40 if I remember rightly.

Verausci

I do not think Amir tested anything other than channels 1/2 and of course the current dac8 pro is different from what he measured which was a prototype.

I do not have the measurement capability that Amir has but in simple measurements with a MOTU M4 as an ADC all channels have been identical other than the timing issues when using the AES inputs documented here. I've been meaning to remeasure with my MOTU Ultralite Mk5 which has a better ADC than the M4 but do not anticipate any significant differences.

Michael
Oh that looks really concerning

Does anyone know whether it's been fixed?

Top Bottom