• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Their wireless audio products and Mac’s use home made networking chips. That would make it much easier to just implement something out of band of Bluetooth to have a lossless connection to these products just with a firmware update.

Something will be announced that will fix the current shortcomings. Time will tell what that is going to be. It was very clear that the launch was very premature just to go on the offensive. That always brings some collateral damage.

DeLub

I just played this song on Apple Music on my Apple TV and underneath the progress slider where it normally says "Dolby Atmos" or "Lossless" it now says "Dolby Audio". My Denon AVR reports that it uses sound mode "Multi Ch In" just like when it is fed with a 5.1 signal from a movie by the Apple TV. Didn't know that there were also 'normal' Dolby 5.1 tracks on Apple Music?? Are there more tracks in this format?

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpeg
    IMG_0371.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 78

dweekie

I just played this song on Apple Music on my Apple TV and underneath the progress slider where it normally says "Dolby Atmos" or "Lossless" it now says "Dolby Audio". My Denon AVR reports that it uses sound mode "Multi Ch In" just like when it is fed with a 5.1 signal from a movie by the Apple TV. Didn't know that there were also 'normal' Dolby 5.1 tracks on Apple Music?? Are there more tracks in this format?
Sounds like it's for spatial audio tracks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/nv4157

Ata

Forum Donor

Maybe a glitch in mastering that specific album? If you tell me which album it is I can try it.

"Multi Ch In" is generally bad news, it means that the AppleTV does the decoding, thus all metadata in the audio stream including any object audio is present it is lost in translation before it reaches the AVR which is the only link in your signal chain that knows how to make use of that metadata...

Ata

Forum Donor
It was on the Halloween playlist by Apple: (Don’t Fear) The Reaper, by Blue Öyster Cult.

Found that and it does come up as "Multi Ch In" for me as well. Other songs in that playlist are just stereo, as well as the song in the artist's album. Almost certainly a glitch.

Ata

Forum Donor
Interestingly, ABBA's "Voyage" showed up in spatial audio (ATMOS) today. Seems well done, but I am not sure I like it...

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Their wireless audio products and Mac’s use home made networking chips. That would make it much easier to just implement something out of band of Bluetooth to have a lossless connection to these products just with a firmware update.

Something will be announced that will fix the current shortcomings. Time will tell what that is going to be. It was very clear that the launch was very premature just to go on the offensive. That always brings some collateral damage.

Ultra Wideband technology has already been used by Audio Technica as part of a lineup of wireless microphones :

I've been wondering if Apple could use their UWB tech in the future to that effect (low latency / high bandwidth / low power consumption). Current Airpods however, don't have UWB already installed.

Liberty Prime

Hi there. Is it possible to use Apple TV as a headless streamer? I was thinking of using it as a source for my stereo system, without needing a screen on at all times, controlling it with my iPad. The path would be Apple TV< DAC via optical out< Integrated amplifier. Also, I have a DLNA server and Apple Music, of course. Would this work? Thanks

DeLub

Hi there. Is it possible to use Apple TV as a headless streamer? I was thinking of using it as a source for my stereo system, without needing a screen on at all times, controlling it with my iPad. The path would be Apple TV< DAC via optical out< Integrated amplifier. Also, I have a DLNA server and Apple Music, of course. Would this work? Thanks
Yes. When listening to music, I leave my tv switched off and control Apple Music on the Apple TV using my iPhone.

DeLub

And that's full control rather than just sending music via airplay?
Yes. You can leave the house with the phone, and the Apple TV will keep streaming.

When you press the airplay button in AM, you see the option “control other devices”, click that, choose the Apple TV, and then play your album or playlist. The streaming is handed over to the Apple TV.

Liberty Prime

Yes. You can leave the house with the phone, and the Apple TV will keep streaming.

When you press the airplay button in AM, you see the option “control other devices”, click that, choose the Apple TV, and then play your album or playlist. The streaming is handed over to the Apple TV.
Great, thank you. And is there a way to “make” the Apple TV stream music from my home server and Deezer, for example? Or would this work just with Apple Music?

DeLub

Great, thank you. And is there a way to “make” the Apple TV stream music from my home server and Deezer, for example? Or would this work just with Apple Music?
I’ve uploaded all my music that’s not on AM. I don’t know how and if this works with a home server. I guess it depends on the app you’re using?

Liberty Prime

I’ve uploaded all my music that’s not on AM. I don’t know how and if this works with a home server. I guess it depends on the app you’re using?

Thanks. I’m new to the Apple ecosystem, I also own an old Mac Mini running Catalina. Is there a way to control it with the iPad as a headless streamer, as I would with the Apple TV? I use it for work sometimes, in case there is a heavy modification needed

Tom C

Major Contributor
Thanks. I’m new to the Apple ecosystem, I also own an old Mac Mini running Catalina. Is there a way to control it with the iPad as a headless streamer, as I would with the Apple TV? I use it for work sometimes, in case there is a heavy modification needed
I have this exact question too. Seems like it should be possible to mirror the desktop. Hope there‘s someone who knows and can answer.

DeLub

I have this exact question too. Seems like it should be possible to mirror the desktop. Hope there‘s someone who knows and can answer.
That’s possible. There are several apps that do this.

I don’t know of a way to control just the streaming of a Mac mini.

mSpot

Top Bottom