• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio E10K vs Behringer UMC202HD for DT990 PRO 250 Ohms

Barley194

Hey!

So I been watching videos and reading a lot on the web. But couldn't find a direct comparison between those two Fiio E10K and Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD.

I own both of those devices and can't decide which one to use for music listening and gaming. I don't have a trained ear, but beside the UMC202HD being more powerful(with E10K at Low Gain Setting), I can hear the difference in sound using Beyerdynamics DT990 PRO 250 Ohm. It feels to me like the UMC202HD has "more" of something in the sound and the E10K being a "a bit more flat" in this same region. I'm not sure if it makes any sense, I'm not a professional.

I was using E10K at Low Gain setting at the back of the device and the bass switch on the front at OFF. It feels to me like on the High gain setting are sound distortions or something like that? Again, I'm not sure what it is.
And when the bass switch is at ON, it's probably too much of it.

What I'd love to aim to, is the most true representation of the recorded sound. Which of those 2 devices is better at this? I know that probably both of them are equally bad, but one has to be better than the other.

If it comes to power, on the UMC202HD I can crank the volume much more, but that is not a plus for this device, since the max power on E10K Low Gain is more than enough for me.

Also, does it matter what type of music will be played, in regard which device would be better for that? (mostly metal)

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FiiO E10K, better DAC function (clarity).
Behringer UMC202HD, more power (voltage).

OP
B

Barley194

What about Motu M2 ? Will it outperform FiiO E10K in terms of true representation of the recorded sound ? The difference in price would suggest so.

twsecrest

Unless your into audio production, better to get a dedicated DAC/amp, then an audio interface.

I use an iBasso DC-03 to drive my 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.
There is also the newer DC-05.

OP
B

Barley194

So you say a dedicated DAC will always be better than an audio interface, no mater how good the audio interface is, and how cheap the DAC is?

twsecrest

So you say a dedicated DAC will always be better than an audio interface, no mater how good the audio interface is, and how cheap the DAC is?
Not against Audio Interfaces, but for the same money, a dedicated DAC/amp will have a better DAC chip and more powerful headphone amplifier.
If you can get a used & decent Audio Interface, for $50, that's a good deal.

I'm currently using the ($60) iBasso DC-03 DAC/amp with my 250-Ohm Beyerdynamic T90 headphones, sounds nice :)

I'm also assuming your E10K is defective, might be causing the sound distortions.

Top Bottom