• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Torn: Focal Elegia vs. Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X/RT

pk500

Hi all:
I'm looking to step up from my Meze 99 Classics in a closed-back. The Mezes' bass is just too uncontrolled, too bloomy.

Seeking something with some warmth and a bit of richness in controlled bass, with no bleed or bloom into the mids or treble. I do NOT like hot treble, as a pretty serious case of tinnitus makes me pretty treble-sensitive. Yet, I still want clear, detailed mids and treble. Basically, I seek something on the slightly warm or rolled-off side of neutrality, with good soundstage, detail and imaging.

My extensive research has led me to the discontinued Focal Elegia at $540 on Amazon or the Drop.com special on the Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X for $380. I will drive these from the iFi hip-dac, SE with the Dan Clark's until I can get a balanced cable. I can go balanced with the Focals out of the box since the outstanding Audiophile Ninja balanced cable I have for my HiFiMan HE-400se -- LOVE those cans -- will work with the Focals.

My primary genres are classic rock, alt-country and Americana, with a hint of blues, hard bop jazz and progressive house EDM.

So, would the Elegia or Aeon Closed X/RT work best for me? Appreciate the advice!

Firefly00

since I’m a bit of DCA fanboy, Aeon all the way (easy recommend at $500, basically a no brainer at $380!) Elegia tonality got bashed in Amir’s review.

Elegia has durability issues in the cable and headband (some have snapped in half!) which is not great. The Aeon’s have an issue where the foam in the pads will twist slightly because the pads are very deep but not super wide, and the cable is hard to replace (why does it need to be hirose connectors???). I also considered the Elegia’s at one point, but couldn’t get over those issues.

phrwn

I feel like all I do is recommend E-Mu Teaks these days, but as I've said elsewhere I've not found better at this price point. I've not tried any DCA's but I have tried the Elegias and found them just boring. I loved the build and design, but the sound did nothing for me.

AVKS

If you're looking for warmth, IMO and IME the Elegia ain't it. Good headphone but it's a technical master all the way. I greatly prefer my Aeon RT closed (basically the same as the Drop version) for its deeper bass extension and better resolution, though it's not particularly warm either, particularly not compared to something like my Audeze LCD-2c.

Of those two though, my vote is Dan Clark.

stren

Forum Donor
Haven't heard Dan Clark's stuff, but the Elegia was a bit disappointing to me even at the sale price and even after eq. It's not bad but just not worth it IMO.

TheHighContemplator

Hi all:
I'm looking to step up from my Meze 99 Classics in a closed-back. The Mezes' bass is just too uncontrolled, too bloomy.

Seeking something with some warmth and a bit of richness in controlled bass, with no bleed or bloom into the mids or treble. I do NOT like hot treble, as a pretty serious case of tinnitus makes me pretty treble-sensitive. Yet, I still want clear, detailed mids and treble. Basically, I seek something on the slightly warm or rolled-off side of neutrality, with good soundstage, detail and imaging.

My extensive research has led me to the discontinued Focal Elegia at $540 on Amazon or the Drop.com special on the Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X for $380. I will drive these from the iFi hip-dac, SE with the Dan Clark's until I can get a balanced cable. I can go balanced with the Focals out of the box since the outstanding Audiophile Ninja balanced cable I have for my HiFiMan HE-400se -- LOVE those cans -- will work with the Focals.

My primary genres are classic rock, alt-country and Americana, with a hint of blues, hard bop jazz and progressive house EDM.

So, would the Elegia or Aeon Closed X/RT work best for me? Appreciate the advice!
I used the Meze 99 Classics with the original earpads from 2018. I loved them for their fun sound. Overtime, like you, I found the bass to be bloated. The pads wore after years of use and I replaced them with the Brainwavz Hybrid Earpads for $45 CAD, which made a huge difference in taming the bass and clearing up the mids. I then applied Oratory's EQ profile for the Meze/Brainwavz combo, and they sounded better than ever. Even with this setup, I wanted something that had a larger soundstage, so I decided to try the Drop + DCA Aeon Closed X and after trying different EQ's based on member Resolve's measurements of two different units, and member Robbo9999 created fantastic EQ profiles to match the Harman Target curve, I'm in heaven. The bass is far more controlled, yet just as impactful, while the rest of the audible spectrum just sounds alive. Using none of the included tuning filters, the soundstage rivals most openback HP's, only bested by the top 5% of OBHP's, by my estimation. The impulse response is another thing that sounded immediately tighter, with all notes having little to no decay. It is most noticeable under 250hz. with bass notes stopping like they hit a brick wall. The thread for the Aeon X is here (Drop + DCA Aeon Closed X) where you can find the EQ profiles and first hand user testimonies, if you haven't already.

I hope that helps. Cheers!

OP
pk500

pk500

I used the Meze 99 Classics with the original earpads from 2018. I loved them for their fun sound. Overtime, like you, I found the bass to be bloated. The pads wore after years of use and I replaced them with the Brainwavz Hybrid Earpads for $45 CAD, which made a huge difference in taming the bass and clearing up the mids. I then applied Oratory's EQ profile for the Meze/Brainwavz combo, and they sounded better than ever. Even with this setup, I wanted something that had a larger soundstage, so I decided to try the Drop + DCA Aeon Closed X and after trying different EQ's based on member Resolve's measurements of two different units, and member Robbo9999 created fantastic EQ profiles to match the Harman Target curve, I'm in heaven. The bass is far more controlled, yet just as impactful, while the rest of the audible spectrum just sounds alive. Using none of the included tuning filters, the soundstage rivals most openback HP's, only bested by the top 5% of OBHP's, by my estimation. The impulse response is another thing that sounded immediately tighter, with all notes having little to no decay. It is most noticeable under 250hz. with bass notes stopping like they hit a brick wall. The thread for the Aeon X is here (Drop + DCA Aeon Closed X) where you can find the EQ profiles and first hand user testimonies, if you haven't already.

I hope that helps. Cheers!
Big help. Thanks.

I went with the Elegia's, for a few reasons.

One, I was worried that I don't have enough amp to power the DCA's. I'm running a hip-dac, which is powerful for a portable, on balanced. But it's still a portable. Two, I tested the Focal Stellia's two weeks ago while on vacation in Seattle and LOVED them. Best cans I've ever heard. I've seen a few posts in various headphone forums stating swapping the Dekoni Stellia Limited pads on the Elegia brings them closer to the Stellia sound at a much lower price than $3,000. Three, I got a killer deal on the Elegia's at Adorama for $399. Four, I decided I wanted to try something more mids-focused for my collection. Five, Drop sold out of DCA Closed X's earlier this week. :)

Firefly00

Big help. Thanks.

One, I was worried that I don't have enough amp to power the DCA's. I'm running a hip-dac, which is powerful for a portable, on balanced. But it's still a portable. Two, I tested the Focal Stellia's two weeks ago while on vacation in Seattle and LOVED them. Best cans I've ever heard. I've seen a few posts in various headphone forums stating swapping the Dekoni Stellia Limited pads on the Elegia brings them closer to the Stellia sound at a much lower price than $3,000. Three, I got a killer deal on the Elegia's at Adorama for $399. Four, I decided I wanted to try something more mids-focused for my collection. Five, Drop sold out of DCA Closed X's earlier this week. :)
Enjoy your headphones!

TheHighContemplator

Big help. Thanks.

Awesome! Be sure to post your thoughts comparing your new Eligia's to your Meze's.

OP
pk500

pk500

Awesome! Be sure to post your thoughts comparing your new Eligia's to your Meze's.
The Elegia and Meze 99 Classics may as well be headphones created in different galaxies. They're SO different.

The 99 Classics have what I like to call a very refined consumer sound signature. Warm, thick bass that bleeds into the mids without killing them, but it still blooms and booms. Average treble with a slight roll-off that's easy to listen to for hours. Surprising soundstage for a closed back. Fun, but nowhere near analytical or true to the recording.

The Elegia's, on the other ear (not hand -- this is an audio forum, after all!), have decent, underrated bass. Anyone who calls this can thin or bass light probably either is used to the booming, bloomy bass of V-shaped consumer sound signatures or really loves their audiophile bass. The Elegia's have decent punch in the bass and will give you the bass that was recorded in the studio or played live.

Mids are the star of the show with the Elegia. Fantastic detail for vocals, string instruments, as advertised. But I also read many reviewers and Elegia owners say these cans aren't good for rock guitar. I disagree! These may not be good for hard rock and metal, but I find them delectable for guitars in classic rock, alt-country and Americana.

Treble on the Elegia is very detailed, like the other frequencies. These things resolve really well. The treble is very much there, but so far it's not stabbing me in the ear canals with an ice pick like some Beyers. It rolls off slightly just at the right spot for me. The treble also isn't grainy.

One thing I really noticed that elevates the Elegia over less-expensive cans is the conformity and structure of the sound. At no time so far during my very early testing have I heard the sound collapse into a wall of mush in complex or busy passages. It's really nice.

Early days with Elegia. But so far, so good. I'm not blown away and probably would be questioning the purchase if I paid the full retail of $900. They're good. But are they THAT much better than my HiFiMan HE-400se? No. But at $400 at Adorama, the Elegia feel like a steal.

The 99 Classics are nice headphones for those who want an audiophile version of a consumer-oriented, bassy sound signature, but without hollowed-out mids. The mids are muddied by the bass, though. But it's easily discernable that the Elegia are at the next level of sonic quality.

More impressions to come. Thanks.

AVKS

I had Focal Elegia and now the Aeon RT. Aeon is better.
Same here. The Elegia is a good headphone in its own right and the current $399 price is pretty fair IMO but I don't miss it. In fact, I'm listening to my Aeon RTs thumping out The Weeknd as I type this.

TheHighContemplator

The Elegia and Meze 99 Classics may as well be headphones created in different galaxies. They're SO different.

The 99 Classics have what I like to call a very refined consumer sound signature. Warm, thick bass that bleeds into the mids without killing them, but it still blooms and booms. Average treble with a slight roll-off that's easy to listen to for hours. Surprising soundstage for a closed back. Fun, but nowhere near analytical or true to the recording.

The Elegia's, on the other ear (not hand -- this is an audio forum, after all!), have decent, underrated bass. Anyone who calls this can thin or bass light probably either is used to the booming, bloomy bass of V-shaped consumer sound signatures or really loves their audiophile bass. The Elegia's have decent punch in the bass and will give you the bass that was recorded in the studio or played live.

Mids are the star of the show with the Elegia. Fantastic detail for vocals, string instruments, as advertised. But I also read many reviewers and Elegia owners say these cans aren't good for rock guitar. I disagree! These may not be good for hard rock and metal, but I find them delectable for guitars in classic rock, alt-country and Americana.

Treble on the Elegia is very detailed, like the other frequencies. These things resolve really well. The treble is very much there, but so far it's not stabbing me in the ear canals with an ice pick like some Beyers. It rolls off slightly just at the right spot for me. The treble also isn't grainy.

One thing I really noticed that elevates the Elegia over less-expensive cans is the conformity and structure of the sound. At no time so far during my very early testing have I heard the sound collapse into a wall of mush in complex or busy passages. It's really nice.

Early days with Elegia. But so far, so good. I'm not blown away and probably would be questioning the purchase if I paid the full retail of $900. They're good. But are they THAT much better than my HiFiMan HE-400se? No. But at $400 at Adorama, the Elegia feel like a steal.

The 99 Classics are nice headphones for those who want an audiophile version of a consumer-oriented, bassy sound signature, but without hollowed-out mids. The mids are muddied by the bass, though. But it's easily discernable that the Elegia are at the next level of sonic quality.

More impressions to come. Thanks.
Congrats! Glad you're enjoying the new cans. Hopefully they satisfy you for years to come.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Big help. Thanks.

Congrats! I have both, and I think they're both fine headphones.

My HiBy R5 Saber works well with the Closed X in single ended mode even with a little bass boost. My guess is the Hip DAC would have been fine.

Top Bottom