• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's talk about food!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the things I love about travel is enjoying the food in those places I visit. These days we have access to a global menu at home and there are restaurants of every description but with a few rare exceptions it never seems to be quite the same. For example Tex-Mex food here isn't like Tex-Mex food in Texas, Anglo-Indian food (as splendid as it is) isn't like the food you get in the sub-continent, what we call Chinese food here isn't what you eat in China (unless you go upscale) etc etc. And it isn't just a British thing, when travelling I'm often taken to eat in restaurants of many flavours and it seems to be a universal truism that global food is heavily coloured by local tastes and preferences. I bite my tongue in the Netherlands now for example because Dutch-Indonesian food is like Anglo-Indian food - very nice but not Indonesian. America put it's own stamp on a whole world of food, for example American-Italian food is American-Italian, not Italian. Given the awful experience of air travel these days the opportunity to enjoy food when away from home is a big compensation.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Given the awful experience of air travel these days the opportunity to enjoy food when away from home is a big compensation.
Don't know about you but the price of overseas air travel has always made the opportunity ------------------------------ for me

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
One of the things I love about travel is enjoying the food in those places I visit. These days we have access to a global menu at home and there are restaurants of every description but with a few rare exceptions it never seems to be quite the same. For example Tex-Mex food here isn't like Tex-Mex food in Texas...

And to complicate things further, "Tex-Mex" varies quite a bit depending on the region in Texas (which is not surprising given that Texas is triple the size of the entire UK).

Wombat

Master Contributor
Start with meat, onion, garlic, tomato, carrot, potato and celery and you are in the basics of many cuisines.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And to complicate things further, "Tex-Mex" varies quite a bit depending on the region in Texas (which is not surprising given that Texas is triple the size of the entire UK).

Indeed. When we talk about Chinese food or Indian food it is equivalent to talking about European food as the range and diversity of food across such large countries is remarkable. Where I live almost all of the "Indian" restaurants and take aways are Bangladeshi and even I recognise the difference from those few Indian restaurants in the area, a very different style of food.
There is a food stall in the shopping mall here called Wrapchic which is an Indian burrito stall, it sounds like a bit of an odd idea but it really works. Sometimes fusion food just becomes a mess but when it works well it can really work, Indian burritos are great.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know about you but the price of overseas air travel has always made the opportunity ------------------------------ for me

For me it's not optional and my employer pays. Many of the places I visit are not the most salubrious places but I'm visiting San Francisco for a week in September which should be nice and it is always good to visit Japan. I just find the whole experience of the flight to be awful, but it is nice once you clear the airport.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Sometimes fusion food just becomes a mess but when it works well it can really work, Indian burritos are great.

And to close the circle, in Austin, there's a place called Whip In that's a great music venue, has a superb beer selection, and specializes in Tex-Indian fusion. The food is simple, unpretentious, and great.

Damn, I miss living in Austin.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Our garden has yielded well.
Outside of those awesome looking tomato's, explain to me what I'm looking at?
TIA

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Classic caprese- sliced heirloom tomatoes fresh out of our garden, olive oil, Malden salt, pepper, shredded basil from our garden, and burrata. I did a little drizzle of balsamic reduction on the burrata, but that was probably gilding the lily.

Too bad you abandoned Chicago. :p

audiobill

Indeed. When we talk about Chinese food or Indian food it is equivalent to talking about European food as the range and diversity of food across such large countries is remarkable. Where I live almost all of the "Indian" restaurants and take aways are Bangladeshi and even I recognise the difference from those few Indian restaurants in the area, a very different style of food.
There is a food stall in the shopping mall here called Wrapchic which is an Indian burrito stall, it sounds like a bit of an odd idea but it really works. Sometimes fusion food just becomes a mess but when it works well it can really work, Indian burritos are great.
When dining out in strange places does does the thought of fecal matter, matter?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
People get shot for tomatoes in Chicago. :(

The thugs here are just absolutely miserable shots. A typical weekend will be 60-70 shootings, 4 deaths. That's embarrassing. My wife would take out four or five of those guys before they finished "aiming.":cool:

And in all seriousness, not only are we in a semi-rural area (Sal probably is familiar with Chain of Lakes), the violent crime in Chicago itself is almost entirely in a few concentrated section- most of the city is just as safe as, say, London.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Classic caprese- sliced heirloom tomatoes fresh out of our garden, olive oil, Malden salt, pepper, shredded basil from our garden, and burrata. I did a little drizzle of balsamic reduction on the burrata, but that was probably gilding the lily.
OHHHH Molto Bene, I couldn't make out photo.

Too bad you abandoned Chicago.
??? Can you grow that November-March? I CAN. :p

And in all seriousness, not only are we in a semi-rural area (Sal probably is familiar with Chain of Lakes), the violent crime in Chicago itself is almost entirely in a few concentrated section- most of the city is just as safe as, say, London.
Sure, I know exactly where you at, nice area.
I left the near west side, AKA Austin district, not a place to be any more. :mad:
I'm a great shot but you can only hold them off for so long. :eek: ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Chicago - had some Japanese with me for a quick Sprint job...

Drove south along the lake, then turned west, dead-reckoning route towards Midway Airport.

About halfway, as we drove through some bombed-out little business district, Mr Nishimura asked "Is this real or movie set?"

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Drove south along the lake, then turned west, dead-reckoning route towards Midway Airport.
That was definitely not the approved route.
Lord was with you make it out with your life.

Jorj

Forum Donor
DC has had a small explosion of northern Thai\Laotian cuisine places lately, and I'm loving it. I got a real taste for larb and green peppercorn sauces while traveling in Cambodia, and theirs are rather tame compared to the Thai versions.

GTsmokeya84

Forum Donor
The thugs here are just absolutely miserable shots. A typical weekend will be 60-70 shootings, 4 deaths. That's embarrassing. My wife would take out four or five of those guys before they finished "aiming.":cool:

I live in Volo/Fox Lake area so I can appreciate what you say. Most Chicago is fine but there are areas where I wouldn't be with my best gear and feel safe. Its a real shame, I feel Chicago is getting a bad rap the traffic is a real crime in my eyes.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I live in Volo/Fox Lake area so I can appreciate what you say. Most Chicago is fine but there are areas where I wouldn't be with my best gear and feel safe. Its a real shame, I feel Chicago is getting a bad rap the traffic is a real crime in my eyes.

That's close by where we were.. Yeah, traffic was horrible- my commute to Carol Stream was one of my motivators to move here to Arizona.

Top Bottom