• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

What is your main OS (operating system) at home?

• Total voters

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I had a PC I lost to Linux because of AMD graphics update, couldn't recover it. I couldn't even go back to a snapshot because I had no GUI when trying to boot. I went back to all Windows after that.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a PC I lost to Linux because of AMD graphics update, couldn't recover it. I couldn't even go back to a snapshot because I had no GUI when trying to boot. I went back to all Windows after that.
That likely was easily taken care of if you knew how. You can't know what you don't know. Linux requires at least a little more involvement from the user even though it may only be needed like 2% of the time you use it. That 2% can be important.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh God. Windows 10 had that terrible feature that forced you to do updates whether you wanted them or not. Did they ever fix that? Updates on Ubuntu are so much more controlled and easy.
Windows have switched from product to service model. You no longer buy it, you use it, as is. It’s like renting a semi-furnished house that you are not allowed to decorate.

mansr

Major Contributor
That likely was easily taken care of if you knew how. You can't know what you don't know. Linux requires at least a little more involvement from the user even though it may only be needed like 2% of the time you use it. That 2% can be important.
With Windows, you don't have those 2%. When something goes wrong, your only option is to reinstall. With Mac, you buy a new computer.

Kevbaz

For work I use MacOS, and for personal use use iPad OS daily. If you asked me 8 years ago it would have been Linux or OpenBSD, but I just don’t have time to play anymore and just want something that works :)

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys and gals, what is your preferred operating system at home?

Comments and stories how you have ended up in your current operating system are warmly welcomed. :)

Windows because I have too.

Linux because M$ nearly gave me a heart attack in 2014 by pulling features out of Pro Edition in Group Policy with a grayed out read me that said the features that 100's of pissed off customers paid for were suddenly only available in Enterprise or Ultimate editions. 60 angry phone calls in one day. f M$.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My main operating system is Homo Saipan neural wetware. It's still an alpha version, full of serious bugs but capable of great things.

Made all the more impressive that it has an A/D interface for ASR.

coonmanx

Windows is installed on 75% of all desktop & laptop computers globally (Linux is deployed to just over 2% of desktops). How many of those Windows users have any understanding (or desire to understand) the need a particular update? How many of those users would prefer Microsoft to update their system automatically and not have worry about it?

There are some people who prefer to sevice their car themselves, which is great, but do these people go around complaining about the other 98% of drivers who take their car to a garage and pay a professional to do it for them?

In my experience, the biggest difference between Windows and Linux users is that the later are generally self selected. Self selection introduces bias and this is often very much evident in these Windows vs Linux discussions.
LOL. Ah, the dumbing down of America. How many people had to do those forced updates and then their computer no longer worked?

Windows still sucks and is bloatware. Linux works great and I rarely have any issues with it at all. Using it right now as I type.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL. Ah, the dumbing down of America. How many people had to do those forced updates and then their computer no longer worked?

Windows still sucks and is bloatware. Linux works great and I rarely have any issues with it at all. Using it right now as I type.

44894415.jpg

Paianis

I've used OpenBSD as my main OS for the last four years, before that various Linux OSes, mostly Debian and openSUSE.

When I started on OpenBSD I used Xfce as my interface but since then I have rotated through FVWM 2.2, FVWM 2.6, cwm, mwm and GNOME. I think I'll only be settled once I write my own window manager as I'm not entirely content with any of them.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Is there no love for KDE?
I would gladly run Manjaro KDE as my daily driver if not for the handful of MacOS apps I prefer to use, plus the even smaller handful of Windows apps I occasionally use. The fact is that most, if not all, of the best open source Linux apps are available on Mac And Windows but few (if any) of the 'essential' apps native to macOS or Windows are available on Linux ...

SoundsGood64

Using Ubuntu (linux distribution) with Unity desktop, which I find to be the most efficient desktop environment in terms of screen space, displaying important info, keyboard shortcuts, and absence of problems. It's unfortunate that Unity was discontinued as the default Ubuntu desktop. There are mentions of other desktops above such as KDE, MATE, Gnome, XFCE, MacOS, and MS Windows--I've used each in various life-contexts, but work most efficiently in Unity. A perfect desktop environment would be one that is easy enough to use on first attempt, but with practice and training a person could become extremely efficient on.

Is it true that the cores of our current operating systems were developed a long time ago? I believe this is the case. I sometimes wonder what an OS that was developed completely from scratch now, ie 2020s, would be like if it had sufficient backing, development, and use.

OP
Raitsa

Raitsa

One OS comes to mind that is quite new and fresh, not really based on anything like most Linux distros.

"Solus is a Linux distribution built from scratch. It uses a forked version of the PiSi package manager, maintained as "eopkg" within Solus, and a custom desktop environment called "Budgie", developed in-house. The Budgie desktop, which can be set to emulate the look and feel of the GNOME 2 desktop, is tightly integrated with the GNOME stack. The distribution is available for 64-bit computers only."

Top Bottom