• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lindemann Limetree Review (streamer)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 141 77.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

ta240

Major Contributor
Considering price it is this is a headless panther but without looking at price maybe postman panther.
Don’t think this will sound obviously bad/broken.

I agree, there seems to be nothing broken here and the audibility of better performing products could be questionable. Is it quite expensive for what you get? Sure, but for some the made in Europe adds value both in pride and possibly in avoiding products that could fund things they don't agree with in the world.

Maybe it is time to graduate from the panther rating system (as cute as it is) to a dual rating system. One for performance and one for value. Or add a boring secondary rating system.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Thanks for the test / measurement Amir!

What's the point of that one in terms of price /perfarmace when, for example, this one exists?:)

None.

The Allo Boss 2 looks better, measures better, has a display. And is 1/6th the price.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
WOW, so this appears to be the "best" digital streamer out there in terms of measurements, regardless of price?

Price wise, maybe. Measurements wise, pretty sure the Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 would take that place!!!

PeteL

Major Contributor
I agree, there seems to be nothing broken here and the audibility of better performing products could be questionable. Is it quite expensive for what you get? Sure, but for some the made in Europe adds value both in pride and possibly in avoiding products that could fund things they don't agree with in the world.

Maybe it is time to graduate from the panther rating system (as cute as it is) to a dual rating system. One for performance and one for value. Or add a boring secondary rating system.
The thing with these streamers, so much of what makes them valuable is about the UI. I understand that Amir don't review that, It's a measurments based review. Still in this case, impossible to know how to vote this. What streaming services does it support natively, how good is the indexing and how user friendly to navigate the file collection, how are the remote control on Android and Ios devices. How the interface look, What IP transfer protocol is it based on, how good does it do Gapless Playback, is the interface buggy, is the firmware updates seamless or complicated. Basically all the most important aspects that differentiate a good streamer from a poor one are not mentioned in this review. I's a review of the DAC but I'd be interested by a review of the streamer too.

Reactions: JRS
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I's a review of the DAC but I'd be interested by a review of the streamer too.
Streamer functionality I need is what I tested. Namely, Roon endpoint. I think any other scheme that relies on this company being around and providing long term support as far as app and such is not wise.

JRS

Major Contributor
The only Linndemann product that would improve sound quality:

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJzYXZldXJiaWVyZSIsImtleSI6ImltZy9wLzEyOC00MjI0NS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ3ZWJwIjp7InF1YWxpdHkiOjMwfSwicG5nIjp7InF1YWxpdHkiOjMwfSwicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjoxNTcyLCJoZWlnaHQiOjEwODAsImZpdCI6ImNvbnRhaW4iLCJiYWNrZ3JvdW5kIjp7InIiOjAsImciOjAsImIiOjAsImFscGhhIjowfX19fQ==
I had the same thought when reading about Lindeman's and quality. Of the Lindeman products I favor the Framboise. None of their beverages are what a purist would consider a proper sour, but for the uninitiated looking for some bubbly and maybe sick of champagne, or for an interesting home warming gift, a solid buy for about 12USD. The Framboise is based on tart raspberries, there is a peche, a sour apple, and a Kriek (cherries).
Cheers

PeteL

Major Contributor
Streamer functionality I need is what I tested. Namely, Roon endpoint. I think any other scheme that relies on this company being around and providing long term support as far as app and such is not wise.
But you rely on Roon being around? I believe I heard some stories of a streamer that stopped being a Roon endpoint after an update, I’d have to search, but it’s a licence based relation isn’it?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But you rely on Roon being around? I believe I heard some stories of a streamer that stopped being a Roon endpoint after an update, I’d have to search, but it’s a licence based relation isn’it?
OK you have a point. :) But I think they will be around much longer than any app provider for one-off streamer.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The only way for a streamer to stop been Roon Ready is if doesn’t pass the Roon Ready certification. The only company I’m aware of that has lost the Roon Ready certification after Sep 2020 is Hegel, which in their case is all Hegel’s fault for not providing firmwares on time as requested by Roon Labs. My Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 was Roon Ready even before release.

PeteL

Major Contributor
OK you have a point. :) But I think they will be around much longer than any app provider for one-off streamer.
I hear you, I still find Roon too expensive. I do agree that there should be some level of trust in the Streamer manufacturer, It’s Audio over IP, it needs to be able to follow the streaming services updates, the OS updates, etc and what goes for Roon goes for Bluos, goes for the linux based software suite included with this guy…. In my case I do trust Bluesound to be around but there’s a risk with all these options. I just don’t use the below average dac, but as a streamer it does the job, it just works and have beem for 8 years

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
The only way for a streamer to stop been Roon Ready is if doesn’t pass the Roon Ready certification. The only company I’m aware of that has lost the Roon Ready certification after Sep 2020 is Hegel, which in their case is all Hegel’s fault for not providing firmwares on time as requested by Roon Labs. My Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 was Roon Ready even before release.
But it’s my point, it requires compatibility updates at the receiving end.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
But it’s my point, it requires compatibility updates at the receiving end.
The Roon Ready certification is a one time deal. After that, it’s all Roon’s job to keep the Roon Ready device up to date regarding the Roon operational part. For instance, the Pro-Ject S2 Ultra hasn’t received a firmware update since 2019 and still it’s a Roon Ready end point.

PeteL

Major Contributor
The Roon Ready certification is a one time deal. After that, it’s all Roon’s job to keep the Roon Ready device up to date regarding the Roon operational part. For instance, the Pro-Ject S2 Ultra hasn’t received a firmware update since 2019 and still it’s a Roon Ready end point.
Didn’t you just said Heigel failed to provide firmware on time and stopped being roon ready? The discussion was, what if this Lindeman compagny goes bankrupt or just stop any support, Are we certain it will work with Roon 5 years from now?What about 10 years?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Didn’t you just said Heigel failed to provide firmware on time and stopped being roon ready? The discussion was, what if this Lindeman compagny goes bankrupt or just stop any support, Are we certain it will work with Roon 5 years from now?What about 10 years?

Let me explain. Back in 2017, Roon Labs informed all their partners that by Sep 2020 all Roon Ready devices had to be certified by Roon Labs in order to work as Roon end points. Before that, manufactures just used to implement Roon’s RAAT protocol without any testing done by Roon. This caused many Roon end points to fail or work in a non reliable way so Roon Labs decided to implement the Roon Ready certification. Roon gave manufactures 2 years to send their equipments to Roon Labs so Roon would test them, check what was wrong, inform the manufacture, manufacture rewrite firmware then Roon test again and certified the equipment. Some equipments didn’t pass the certification so after Sep 21 of 2020, those stopped working with Roon and showed the warning in Roon Audio devices as Uncertified. Heigel is one of the manufactures that failed to fix the issues reported by Roon during the certification and until today keep failing to fix the issues reported by Roon Labs.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Let me explain. Back in 2017, Roon Labs informed all their partners that by Sep 2020 all Roon Ready devices had to be certified by Roon Labs in order to work as Roon end points. Before that, manufactures just used to implement Roon’s RAAT protocol without any testing done by Roon. This caused many Roon end points to fail or work in a non reliable way so Roon Labs decided to implement the Roon Ready certification. Roon gave manufactures 2 years to send their equipments to Roon Labs so Roon would test them, check what was wrong, inform the manufacture, manufacture rewrite firmware then Roon test again and certified the equipment. Some equipments didn’t pass the certification so after Sep 21 of 2020, those stopped working with Roon and showed the warning in Roon Audio devices as Uncertified. Heigel is one of the manufactures that failed to fix the issues reported by Roon during the certification and until today keep failing to fix the issues reported by Roon Labs.
Thanks for the explanation. I get it now. My point remain, We don’t know if Roon adds functionalities or change some stuff in the structure of the packets, priority, all that stuff, in 2025, we can’t know for sure that devices Roon ready now will still be then. I was debating the Idea that the way it‘s Roon ready automatically make it future proof. and will still certainly debate that it’s not “wise“ if you are using something else than Roon.The thing is, I want to know if firmware and apps perform now, nothing is guaranteed for the future but if it’s already buggy now, it sure disqualify it as a good streamer. Again, we don’t all have Roon and, well we don’t all need Roon if what we use do what we want it to do, do it reliably, and do it in a user friendly way. I’m sure Roon is amazing, but I don’t for my use case need or want it. And yes, there are other ways to EQ.

Last edited:
Top Bottom