• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which pre built Purifi Amp sould I buy?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven’t blind tested them but I’d imagine none unless power comes into play. Some people claim to hear hf roll off on the hypex amps, at 48 I’m not one of them.

Vavilen

I haven’t blind tested them but I’d imagine none unless power comes into play. Some people claim to hear hf roll off on the hypex amps, at 48 I’m not one of them.
Wow! Could you please show me the way to find about "to hear hf roll off on the hypex amps"?
Sounds pretty bad

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow! Could you please show me the way to find about "to hear hf roll off on the hypex amps"?
Sounds pretty bad
As I inferred-if you can hear this then you must be part dolphin:

Attachments

• B573A252-D0E5-45E7-8E54-E3B4F06B3267.png
    B573A252-D0E5-45E7-8E54-E3B4F06B3267.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 265

maty

Major Contributor
If you listen to "modern" music, badly produced music and low or very low DR, without acoustic or electric instruments, the Hypex NC252 would be a good choice I think.

Vavilen

If you listen to "modern" music, badly produced music and low or very low DR, without acoustic or electric instruments, the Hypex NC252 would be a good choice I think.
So, you would prefer Purifi?
Or not D class at all?

maty

Major Contributor
A lot of traditional Class D amps have "problems" with tweeter + good/very good acoustic recordings -> a non-credible reproduction.

Purifi is other level, a very good amplifier. The only downside, for now, is that it is usually accompanied by Hypex SMPS, with capacitors of questionable quality. Presumably soon, Purifi will sell his own.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
A lot of traditional Class D amps have "problems" with tweeter + good/very good acoustic recordings -> a non-credible reproduction.

Purifi is other level, a very good amplifier. The only downside, for now, is that it is usually accompanied by Hypex SMPS, with capacitors of questionable quality.

Yes, @pma made a lot of interesting measurements. Tbh Ucd and Ncore are not bad either on the matter.
Hypex have changed their capacitors on the last batch I received. Still not a premium brand.

Presumably soon, Purifi will sell his own.
"Soon" may be a bit optimistic..

BTW, glad to see you back @maty :)

Beun

Can any of these amps (BoXem, Apollon etc) being used as a Mono Amp in bridgemode like the NAD C298?

daniboun

Major Contributor
I would go for Purifi Modules + the brand new Hypex PSU SMPS 3KA400 (with 2X separate rails). + Neurochrome Buffers.
You will get the best of the Purifi potential )

Like this but with only 2 Purifi modules :

Vavilen

I would go for Purifi Modules + the brand new Hypex PSU SMPS 3KA400 (with 2X separate rails). + Neurochrome Buffers.
You will get the best of the Purifi potential )

Like this but with only 2 Purifi modules :

Hi @daniboun !
Why exactly Neurochrome? Could you please explain a bit what are the benefits comparing to other buffers?
Do you know if there is a dealer in Europe to avoid delivery from Canada + paying taxes?
Thanks!

daniboun

Major Contributor
Because they measure very well and they are very transparent :
It has a selectable gain
Plug-and-play connection with Hypex SMPS psu
True differential output with common-mode feedback
The buffer can be disabled by removing two resistors
etc

Check measurements in graph section below :

With a little patience of sewing oil) : If you get a GX285 Alu Case, made in Italy by the way + the Purifi Modules + SMPS 3KA400 + Neurochrome buffers, you can have a beautiful amp for a fair price )

Example with my GX285 case :

Last edited:

Vavilen

Because they measure very well and they are very transparent :
It has a selectable gain
Plug-and-play connection with Hypex SMPS psu
True differential output with common-mode feedback
The buffer can be disabled by removing two resistors
etc

Check measurements in graph section below :

With a little patience of sewing oil) : If you get a GX285 Alu Case, made in Italy by the way + the Purifi Modules + SMPS 3KA400 + Neurochrome buffers, you can have a beautiful amp for a fair price )

Example with my GX285 case :

Sorry to say it, but all the diy cases for me look like something what should be inside server racks, but not on my tv furniture :)

daniboun

Major Contributor
Each one to his taste ) They are some very beautiful DIY case.

The GX285 is not ugly at all ))) or other option for example :

maty

Major Contributor

daniboun

Do you notice improvement with the RF / EMI filter?

PurRF-EMI-filter.png

I have a lot of RF/EMI Schaffner inlets in my two systems. And Würth 150 kHz ferrites too. But they are class AB amps.

daniboun

Major Contributor
No, Hypex does not recommend to put any RFI / EMI filter with a self inside (Schaffner style). I would even say it's better without

BUT : with my NC502MP, I put a Audio grade filter instead and works very well for me. Checkout :

Vavilen

No, Hypex does not recommend to put any RFI / EMI filter with a self inside (Schaffner style). I would even say it's better without

BUT : with my NC502MP, I put a Audio grade filter instead and works very well for me. Checkout :

btw, how is it comparing that Purifi amp?
Do you feel any difference?
Should I go for NCore if I don't need that power?

daniboun

Major Contributor
btw, how is it comparing that Purifi amp?
Do you feel any difference?
Should I go for NCore if I don't need that power?

To be honest. I often read the measurements and they sometimes condition my purchases or not ...
But the ear is not as precise as the measuring instruments and it is sometimes very difficult to perceive a noticeable difference between these two amps. They are very analytical and I have the feeling that they sometimes lack musicality and a "little soul."

I own several amps, including the Purifi, Hypex Ncore, Dual Merus, High end TPA3255, Mini Gan and many others
I continue to say that the amp that brings me the most emotion at the moment is the Satisfaction A2 with the OPA1622 on the preamp section and OPA1656 on the power amp section. This amp is based on a dual Tripath chip but with a neat and top design, it is fully balanced, dead silence with a quad motorized volume knob and a solid Linear PSU.
We had a lot of debate on Diyaudio about the exemplary musicality of the Tripath when they are well implemented, and for me they have the best of class D with the musicality of class A amps. That's my personal opinion however ....

I would say that your choice must be based on measurements for sure but also your auditory appreciation)

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Just buy a pre built PURIFI EVAL-1, don't add any lower quality buffer or etc. Just the stock EVAL-1 which has been measure here.

Nothing else.

The purifi eval-1 stock measures so well, don't even touch it.

Since i have the stock purifi i don't care about amplifier, it's my end game power amp.

Top Bottom