• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA3s Review (Desktop Amplifier)

Trokox

The comparison will not be made for several months, because of the pandemic.

Also we have other amplifiers to test besides the speakers. I compared the A20a sound with my main amplifier ( in bi-amplification). I will do a little subjective review in the Sabaj A20a thread.

The sound of the A20a is excellent. I do not regret.
The Sabaj a20a from everything I've read is a great amp that has a slight noise flaw when used with the rca input but when used with the balanced inputs it is a flawless product priced at $ 219.
On the other hand, the Topping PA3S is a product that, according to Toku's impressions, has a sound quality equal to the a20a and without any known defect in both rca and balanced and costs $ 150 but has no tone control or subwoofer input.
I think the companies that make these balanced amps focus on maximizing the sound for TRS / XLR and maybe they don't try their best to do the same for RCA and this seems to be the case with the a20a but if the use case is with XLR there is no flaw and you get an excellent balanced amp with good connectivity.
I was in doubt about the power of these 2 amps because I have read that the Sabaj A20A has more power than the SMSL DA9 and that it is much more powerful than the Sabaj A10A and SMSL SA300 while the Topping PA3S reviewed by Amir only generates 27 watts of power in 8 ohms although I think I do not take it to 1% THD where it should generate about 35 watts approx and I thought that the A20A would have more power but Toku already answered my question

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Sabaj a20a from everything I've read is a great amp that has a slight noise flaw when used with the rca input but when used with the balanced inputs it is a flawless product priced at $ 219.
On the other hand, the Topping PA3S is a product that, according to Toku's impressions, has a sound quality equal to the a20a and without any known defect in both rca and balanced and costs $ 150 but has no tone control or subwoofer input.
I think the companies that make these balanced amps focus on maximizing the sound for TRS / XLR and maybe they don't try their best to do the same for RCA and this seems to be the case with the a20a but if the use case is with XLR there is no flaw and you get an excellent balanced amp with good connectivity.
I was in doubt about the power of these 2 amps because I have read that the Sabaj A20A has more power than the SMSL DA9 and that it is much more powerful than the Sabaj A10A and SMSL SA300 while the Topping PA3S reviewed by Amir only generates 27 watts of power in 8 ohms although I think I do not take it to 1% THD where it should generate about 35 watts approx and I thought that the A20A would have more power but Toku already answered my question

My main amp is made up of two class AB amps and totals 150w / c. While I plug the A20a into my speakers, so only one amplifier for the 2 boxes (bass and high midrange), I had a doubt that the A20a would have enough power for my living room. Well no, the power is sufficient for most styles of music. About the power difference with the PA3s, I agree with Toku, it has 2vdc more, but that's not what is going to make the difference. For example the choice of the output filter will affect the subjective power. I saw on diyAudio, photos of the PCB, and Sabaj chose very high quality resistors in SMD format. In addition the Sabaj has a medical grade SMPS of 300w, versus 26v 5.76A 150w. Ok the MA12070 in PBTL will not consume more, but a 300w SMPS DL brings a reserve which results in better dynamics at very high volume ... will we hear it in an ABX test, probably that no but maybe yes. Will we hear more than 2vdc difference, impossible.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The wolf of L7AudioLab has posted data suggesting the emergence of a new power amplifier. Will a higher performance power amplifier be released following the PA3s? I have high expectations.

The graph shows the performance equivalent to Hypex NC400.
Hard to read Chinese but didn't that read 20 WPC?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes and it does not appear to be clipping yet.
8R20WDashboard-scaled.jpg

Toku

Major Contributor
The graph shows the result at 20W output, but I think he has already measured 1W, 5W, 20W, 100W, etc.
However, I think that Topping has not yet given permission to announce the details.

@JohnYang1997 has often suggested the possibility of launching a high-performance amplifier from Topping.
So I'm convinced that the amp measured by the wolf at LA7 Audio Lab was the amp suggested by @JohnYang1997.
He also said at the time that the PA3s were a completely different product than Topping's planned amps.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
The board photograph of PA3s was posted on AUDIO PHONICS.
Looking at this, like the SMSL amplifier, there is no output filter.

Attachments

• topping-pa3s-amplifier-class-d-balanced-2x-ma12070-2x65w-4-ohm-black.jpg
    topping-pa3s-amplifier-class-d-balanced-2x-ma12070-2x65w-4-ohm-black.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 335

Toku

Major Contributor
The mysterious Topping's new power amp was the PA5. It has the same design as the E50/L50 and has shown excellent results in wolf measurements.
I don't know the details such as the device I'm using, but this is very exciting news.
I can't help buying it anymore.

Walter

The mysterious Topping's new power amp was the PA5. It has the same design as the E50/L50 and has shown excellent results in wolf measurements.
I don't know the details such as the device I'm using, but this is very exciting news.

Presumably balanced TRS inputs, then. SINAD at 1 Watt is particularly impressive. Awaiting specs and pricing info with great anticipation. Hoping for subwoofer out and $299, but that may not be realistic. Looking forward to your impressions when you get it.

UAN

A serious blow to competitors, considering the price and parameters.

Toku

Major Contributor
Presumably balanced TRS inputs, then. SINAD at 1 Watt is particularly impressive. Awaiting specs and pricing info with great anticipation. Hoping for subwoofer out and $299, but that may not be realistic. Looking forward to your impressions when you get it.
As far as I read the text of the wolf, there are two TRS balanced inputs and there seems to be no RCA umbalance.

Last edited:

Walter

As far as I read the text of the wolf, there are two TRS balanced inputs and there seems to be no RCA imbalance.
I was so busy drooling over the charts I did not think to use Google Translate. Disappointed if the price is truly $399. It might still be good value, but probably not something I will buy. There is a major hole in the amp market in the $150-$300 range as far as power amps or even integrated amps with just basic volume and input switching capabilities, for people who want a bit better specs and appearance than something like the Aiyima A04/A07/A08 and more power than the MA12070 offerings. I was hoping the next Topping amp would fill it, but it may well be that the hole exists because there is currently simply no good combination of parts to fill it at a reasonable profit. Maybe if a JLE Sylph-based amp or something simiar could be made in quantity.

dr0ss

There is a major hole in the amp market in the $150-$300 range as far as power amps or even integrated amps with just basic volume and input switching capabilities
There are generic icepower 125asx2 amps in this range, but something with the pa3s specs at a respectable power would be an improvement.

andrewskaterrr

I was so busy drooling over the charts I did not think to use Google Translate. Disappointed if the price is truly $399. It might still be good value, but probably not something I will buy. There is a major hole in the amp market in the $150-$300 range as far as power amps or even integrated amps with just basic volume and input switching capabilities, for people who want a bit better specs and appearance than something like the Aiyima A04/A07/A08 and more power than the MA12070 offerings. I was hoping the next Topping amp would fill it, but it may well be that the hole exists because there is currently simply no good combination of parts to fill it at a reasonable profit. Maybe if a JLE Sylph-based amp or something simiar could be made in quantity.
Agreed. I really wanted true 50w @8ohm, and sub output with crossover for around $200. Seems somewhat simple so I don't know why there aren't more in this area.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eagerly waiting review and measurements (and general availability) of the Harman Kardon Citation amp that is based on the Axign controller. 125W into 8 ohm and 200 W into 4 ohm. Axign claimed that they measured 0.001% THD+N (100 dB) from digital input to speaker output. Streaming function included. Listed in the Norway Harman Kardon site for KR 6000.

Walter

Sounded great until I realized that NKR 6000 is over $700 USD. At that price point, there are plenty of good choices.

PeterOo

Eagerly waiting review and measurements (and general availability) of the Harman Kardon Citation amp that is based on the Axign controller. 125W into 8 ohm and 200 W into 4 ohm. Axign claimed that they measured 0.001% THD+N (100 dB) from digital input to speaker output. Streaming function included. Listed in the Norway Harman Kardon site for KR 6000.
They are asking €500 (US $565) for the HK Citation Amp here in the Netherlands. It received the CES innovation award again this year. I hope that means production and marketing of the Amp picks up and someone will finally sent Amir one to test.
Apart from some small firmware bugs I love it!

MCH

Major Contributor
Wow, 499eur tax and shipping included and all that functionality! If it demonstrates good performance this thing is a winner (only missing a real volume knob but for that money, nevermind). If you start selling the things you wont need anymore (raspberrie, dac...) you are half the way there

Bene

I bought one. I have a pair of kef Q150 and a zen dac v2 to RCA on topping PA3S and I can't listen louder than 11 o'clock at the potentiometer...it already sounds very loud and clear.
I'm very happy with this little amp ... I noticed that it doesn't have a standby function ... just only turn off. weird

Top Bottom