• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Breeze Audio" ES9038 ES9038PRO DAC

Anyone have experience with this DAC?

Looks pretty interesting:
  1. Priced right < $500.
  2. XLR and RCA outs.
  3. Remote
  4. ES9038Pro Chip
Looks like a decent alternative to the DX7S.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
one of their products seems to be well engineered

Electrolytic capacitors jammed up against a heat-sink, fake Sanyo main filter caps and the cheapest volume pot they could find doesn't make for 'well engineered' IMO.

Call it for what it is, it's just another Chinese cheap-ass chip amp in an extruded can.

Timbo2

Electrolytic capacitors jammed up against a heatsink, fake main filter caps and the cheapest volume pot they could find doesn't make for 'well engineered' IMO.

Call it for what it is, it's just another Chinese cheap-ass chip amp in an extruded can.

I missed the fake filter caps! I can live with the caps jammed against the heat sink on a $30 amp that I'm not going to beat up on. I wouldn't use it for anything serious.

Edit - I should probably add was a bit shocked that one of these inexpensive amps wasn't a hot mess - I agree I think well engineered was probably too strong.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There must be a little industry in China making this as this seller is offering the case by itself! https://smile.amazon.com/FidgetFidg...&qid=1535162236&sr=8-9&keywords=ES9038PRO+dac
41GfsXrMYpL.jpg

Can't find the guts though.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

derp1n

The metal can opamps in the sockets are a nice touch.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yeh, takes me back 30+ years.

Makes me feel old too- I've got some NOS milspec early can opamps with gold plated leads, and even some early OC-XX glass enveloped germanium transistors etc. Actually, I'll dig out a bag of truly vintage components and post a few pics just for fun. :)

maxxevv

Major Contributor

That's the generic board. No idea how well that performs.

The one I shared here a while ago runs off 6 opamp chips and uses dual toroidal transformers and the works. Although in my opinion it sounds very good, I have no idea how well it will measure though the seller has some measurement graphs on his listing.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.4f212e8d7BjKVG&id=520572954027&_u=p1u1q9kmbfe5

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's the generic board. No idea how well that performs.

The one I shared here a while ago runs off 6 opamp chips and uses dual toroidal transformers and the works. Although in my opinion it sounds very good, I have no idea how well it will measure though the seller has some measurement graphs on his listing.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.4f212e8d7BjKVG&id=520572954027&_u=p1u1q9kmbfe5
Wow, that write-up is quite extensive! Are you able to contact them and find out if they are willing to sell one to me at discount for review?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Haha... its already sub- US$300 excluding shipping ! (It cost like US$20 shipped to my part of the world, don't think it would cross the US$30/- mark to your location.

Taobao's shipping is quite seamless once you set up an account. Though you'll need to navigate the chinese language.

I can check if I can add an alternate shipping address in my account as my Aliexpress allows that.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Amir, there are many variations of these boards (different board versions, different components installed, etc.) from many vendors and various prices, and it is probable that they will measure different if one or another variation has flaws (even from the same vendor, I suppose).
So in order for this test to be meaningful it would be great to find a reliable vendor on ebay and choose the most recent and less exotic version.
That way people could choose to buy this exact same version and be confident they are getting the exact same implementation you tested.

Top Bottom