• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In fairness, I noticed the website used force. But that seems wrong too. Isn't it a field?
Unit of energy is the joule. It can be stored in many forms: Yes a field, such as in a charged capacitor. But also chemically as in a battery - or in fuel (oil, wood etc). In food. In the form of potential energy such as lifting a mass through a height (eg water behind a hydroelectric dam) - and so on.

mansr

Major Contributor
Last time I looked, the SI unit for energy wasn't "ton"
It's not the SI unit, but the energy output of (nuclear) bombs is often measured in tons of TNT. I'm no demolition expert, but I'm pretty sure 2.3 tons of TNT is enough to do some serious damage to most audio equipment.

Last edited:

Gregss

Does anyone understand what the manufacturer is trying to say the product does? I read a little voodoo science but I didn't even understand what they were trying to convey. My take away was that a strong or very strong magnet is put near a section of wire or at the end of the wire and the electrons passing through the magnetic field will be aligned in a way to produce better sound?
My question is this, what if aligning the electrons actually does the opposite and it degrades the quality of the signal? How do we know which is better, with or without the magnets? It seems kind of confusing to me as electrons are pretty much like herding cats. They will often do whatever they want unless we brute force them into a certain behavior and that force may damage the signal. Anyone got any ideas or am I missing the whole issue?
Snake oil can be very confusing!
Hi, Seems they are pretty clearly saying (in massive BS), that they are about separating some from their money. If some can afford and actually buy this BS, well, "there is one born every minute."

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Does anyone understand what the manufacturer is trying to say the product does? I read a little voodoo science but I didn't even understand what they were trying to convey. My take away was that a strong or very strong magnet is put near a section of wire or at the end of the wire and the electrons passing through the magnetic field will be aligned in a way to produce better sound?
My question is this, what if aligning the electrons actually does the opposite and it degrades the quality of the signal? How do we know which is better, with or without the magnets? It seems kind of confusing to me as electrons are pretty much like herding cats. They will often do whatever they want unless we brute force them into a certain behavior and that force may damage the signal. Anyone got any ideas or am I missing the whole issue?
Snake oil can be very confusing!
What they are claiming is that they are exerting a magnetic force (across most of the length of the cable, they can't do it at the termination). The force generated can be described by equivalent stored energy. The stored energy is that 2.3 tons (not clear if this is metric tonne or not).

The cable itself appears to be copper, a non-magnetic material, so not affected when no current is flowing. But what happens when a current is flowing? My knowledge pretty much stops here:

What Happens to a Current-Carrying Wire in a Magnetic Field? | Science project | Education.com

I presume that stored energy figure can be converted to the equivalent force in Teslas?

Raindog123

Major Contributor
What they are claiming is that they are exerting a magnetic force (across most of the length of the cable, they can't do it at the termination). The force generated can be described by equivalent stored energy. The stored energy is that 2.3 tons (not clear if this is metric tonne or not).

What they claim is literally the same as this old Rockwell’s idea:

…that was semi-successfully copied by Chrysler:

…with the PATH guys recently substantially reducing its dimensions and weight:

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
No, force and energy are distinctly different, and neither is the same as mass either.
I know they are different. I believe the idea is that magnetic force can do work (eg repel or attract a magnetic material). The energy required to do the work the force can do can be calculated or measured. This isn't an equivalent, but it can act as a description, and there should be a formula to calculate one from the other, if known. I don't know what the formula is and haven't looked it up. My physics is sketchy at best...

Stereolab42

"…I “treat” my system with Ayre’s Irrational, But Efficacious! glide-tone disc—another tweak that I was convinced would make no difference whatsoever, but that removed several layers of grunge whether I believed in it or not." - Wes Phillips, Stereophile Ayre Accessories

Perhaps it is an effect best heard 1st hand? :rolleyes:
As a fan of '90s rock, why in the world would I want to REMOVE grunge from my music?

Holmz

Major Contributor

The cable itself appears to be copper, a non-magnetic material, so not affected when no current is flowing. But what happens when a current is flowing? My knowledge pretty much stops here:

A charged election in a magnetic field gets a force orthogonal… Like Bicycle wheel or gyroscope does.
So it is most easily seen when trying to TIG weld near a magnetic clamp, or looking at how the borealis happens.

Basically the current flow stays in the copper, and nothing good or bad should happen. But I am not one to advocate for a 100k$ cable, and would rather just shove a monoblock closer to each speaker.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know they are different. I believe the idea is that magnetic force can do work (eg repel or attract a magnetic material). The energy required to do the work the force can do can be calculated or measured. This isn't an equivalent, but it can act as a description, and there should be a formula to calculate one from the other, if known. I don't know what the formula is and haven't looked it up. My physics is sketchy at best...

There is a relationship: a magnetic field that has a density of 1 T (Tesla) generates a force of 1 newton per ampere of current per meter of a perpendicular conductor. Several ways to express this though

2.3 tons, metrics or not, is a lot of Newtons, around 23000

That's either a lot of Coulombs flowing through your conductors very quickly :) or a wire that runs very, very close to a bunch of neodymium magnets (more likely).

A "500kg" fishing magnet, the type of magnet youtubers use to fish discarded stuff from rivers and lakes can be purchased for less than EUR 50

You could probably hack a relatively cheap test cable with a bunch of smaller magnets if you add-up the forces (which I am not sure is valid, but who cares anyway ;) )

Galliardist

Major Contributor
So is this thing just equivalent to a massive ferrite bead?

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What they claim is literally the same as this old Rockwell’s idea:

…that was semi-successfully copied by Chrysler:

…with the PATH guys recently substantially reducing its dimensions and weight:

I don't know, but these encabulators aren't turbo. Check out this bad boy.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
They almost *got* my mom, until I reminded her that Microsoft would never call her with help.
I’ve had to deal with various versions of these scams - including when my own partner gat a scam call purporting to be from an organisation that was genuinely arranged to be making a support call.

At least buying an expensive cable doesn’t expose you to identity theft - well, it yet. I’m sure someone will develop an internet connected RCA lead with a security hole before too long - and it will get rave reviews of course!

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stop the press... who is that? No, it's not Vicky Vale... it's the "Professional Series Elite Speaker Cables", $150000 for one meter. However if you happen to have a spare $4400 after that, you can get 3m in total... bargain here is no extra either for banana vs spade terminations;

Obviously you have to use these with the RCA interconnects for full magnetic power, so $250000+ for the matching set.

JSmith
My god. I seriously hope no one has ever purchased these.

egellings

Major Contributor
Wouldn't it be better to put the amp right inside the speaker (easy with switchmode) and dump the cables entirely? To carry that to reductio ad adsurdum, put the entire setup in a single box and eliminate cables & interconnects altogether. No cable's gotta be better than any cable at all, right?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
That's another one the marvelous paradoxes in the cuckoo corner of audiophilia. Active speakers are the devil, especially the ones with built-in DACs! But cables are also the devil... sooo. Damned if you do, damned if you don't :D:facepalm:

Top Bottom