• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I didn't have an opportunity to do a direct AB comparison. I know that I am always shocked how much better my Salon 2s are in that respect after testing a bunch of speakers. I got the same feeling when testing the 8361.
So, you think that a single loudspeaker projecting "larger image of sound" in your room is a good thing?

By the way as an European I can't stop laughing to you Americans discussing max spl and watts of speakers. I have grown to understand your love of displacement, hp and top speed of cars though. But we Europeans value good handling more.

Holmz

Major Contributor
So, you think that a single loudspeaker projecting "larger image of sound" in your room is a good thing?

By the way as an European I can't stop laughing to you Americans discussing max spl and watts of speakers. I have grown to understand your love of displacement, hp and top speed of cars though. But we Europeans value good handling more.

it is hardly fair though, because but you guys have had Raikonin, Vatanen, Tommi and Timo, etc. :cool:
Kiitos

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
None for me, and I think this is consistent for modern Genelec models. I'm nearfield with my 8350a (less than 1m) and hear no hiss/noise at all - and I do bring the volume up a bit when monitoring (eliminate extraneous artifacts like tongue clicks, breathing, etc.) so I imagine the newer 8351/61 are equally silent.
Many thanks.
Could you, please. develope what you said ...?
"...eliminate extraneous artifacts like tongue clicks, breathing, etc."

I mean, are you talking about recording details you don't like (the higher the volume the more likely the drums will overcome the recorded breathing of a singer), or is it a woofer issue or otherwise proper behaviour when lack of energy does not allow adequate reproduction by the low energised woofer?

Because I can hear random noises like those you describe and that I sometimes detect when playing very softly my keyboard, and have been thinking for quite a while about what might be going on, even upgrading my loudspeakers...They completely disappear when higher volumes (>60dB) are used.

And I think this is a very important fact indeed, since we are accustomed to check the capability of loudspeakers at high levels, 85-96-105 dB, but nothing is said about minimum volumes to avoid those artifacts !!!!

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
A digital active crossover allows you to smooth out all the lumps and bumps in the frequency response, but doesn't allow more dynamic range or lower distortion.
Also not true .
A good dsp crossover also protects the drivers - in genelec a HP filter is used below the bass-tuning point , so one can play much louder than with a passive loudspeaker that has no damping at all below the tuning frequency.
Low impedance driving below EMF area also gives you lower distortion in an active loudspeaker.

The crossover coils in passive loudspeakers for the bass units, even for the more expensive Revels , are not air coils but iron coils. Not good for soundquality.

They distort heavily with just 30 Watts of input or less .

I wish Amirm could test the impact of saturation with some iron coils , just as they have done at hificompass.

Last edited:

niesfisch

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I've been focusing on the best way to stream to these speakers. You don't need a DAC, but you do need a balanced digital output and those are rare in consumer level streamers.
i am looking into buying a 8340 which also have the option of wiring via XLR analog and digital (AES/EBU). what i've found out so far, some parts already mentioned by others.

mix and match analog/digital

internet -> streamer -> digital out (spdif, coax/toslink) -> converters/cables -> XLR AES (genelec, possible resistance problems(?), e.g. 75 vs 110 ohm)

internet -> streamer -> digital out (spdif, coax/toslink) -> DAC -> analog XLR out -> analog XLR (genelec)

pure digital (not sure ... hope so)

internet -> streamer (e.g. "pure" raspberry pi) -> usb -> something like this -> XLR AES (genelec)

internet -> streamer (e.g. raspberry pi + AES hat like this) -> XLR AES (genelec)

internet -> streamer like minidsp studio or this -> XLR AES (genelec)

be aware of the following points
  • the genelec have a dac, from what i've read this will be part of either chain (analog/digital)
    • if input is analog it will be converted to digital, which will be some superfluous A/D conversions
  • you can feed analog and digital signals to the genelecs which can be volume controlled by the head unit depending on the settings
    • some say this will be inferior as the signal is digitally modified before it is send to the speakers (i doubt that i would be able to hear this(?))
  • if you feed the full level signal (not volume controlled) to the genelecs you can volume control via
    • attached (extra) volume knob attached to the GLM kit which needs to be permanently wired
    • attached LAN laptop/pc and GLM software
  • i had a chat about all the different options with a technical support guy from thomann here is my take away and what he suggested
    • i won't probably hear a difference anyway because my speakers are not placed ideally and the source material is also very important
    • start with the option you already have in place and try other options at a later stage
      • in my case i have a yamaha wxc-50 that i will wire via preamp mode rca out to (analog) xlr with these cables
so, as always in life ... tooo many options :) unfortunately, the "all-digital" route is more expensive and more hassle (extra volume knob, GLM kit attached) in my view and not the family friendliest (kids/wife need to be able to volume control).

cheers from hamburg/germany

Tangband

Major Contributor
i am looking into buying a 8340 which also have the option of wiring via XLR analog and digital (AES/EBU). what i've found out so far, some parts already mentioned by others.

mix and match analog/digital

internet -> streamer -> digital out (spdif, coax/toslink) -> converters/cables -> XLR AES (genelec, possible resistance problems(?), e.g. 75 vs 110 ohm)

internet -> streamer -> digital out (spdif, coax/toslink) -> DAC -> analog XLR out -> analog XLR (genelec)

pure digital (not sure ... hope so)

internet -> streamer (e.g. "pure" raspberry pi) -> usb -> something like this -> XLR AES (genelec)

internet -> streamer (e.g. raspberry pi + AES hat like this) -> XLR AES (genelec)

internet -> streamer like minidsp studio or this -> XLR AES (genelec)

be aware of the following points
  • the genelec have a dac, from what i've read this will be part of either chain (analog/digital)
    • if input is analog it will be converted to digital, which will be some superfluous A/D conversions
  • you can feed analog and digital signals to the genelecs which can be volume controlled by the head unit depending on the settings
    • some say this will be inferior as the signal is digitally modified before it is send to the speakers (i doubt that i would be able to hear this(?))
  • if you feed the full level signal (not volume controlled) to the genelecs you can volume control via
    • attached (extra) volume knob attached to the GLM kit which needs to be permanently wired
    • attached LAN laptop/pc and GLM software
  • i had a chat about all the different options with a technical support guy from thomann here is my take away and what he suggested
    • i won't probably hear a difference anyway because my speakers are not placed ideally and the source material is also very important
    • start with the option you already have in place and try other options at a later stage
      • in my case i have a yamaha wxc-50 that i will wire via preamp mode rca out to (analog) xlr with these cables
so, as always in life ... tooo many options :) unfortunately, the "all-digital" route is more expensive and more hassle (extra volume knob, GLM kit attached) in my view and not the family friendliest (kids/wife need to be able to volume control).

cheers from hamburg/germany
You can send a digital signal with volume regulation from the Yamaha wxc50 to your Genelecs. This will sound better than using the analog outputs from the Yamaha.

Theres a lot already written about digital connection in this thread but people dont seem to read it . You can go fully digital cheaper than analog and with better sound . Read the thread please:).

Start here :

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Question is, is the 8361 worth the extra $$$ over the other big 3-ways?
Screenshot_20211114-121925.jpg
Screenshot_20211114-121857.jpg
Screenshot_20211114-121831.jpg

Ardrazzt

Like AdamQ said above, the most obvious difference is just the massive amount of air the 8361 pushes. Even at playback with 85db-90db RMS SPL, there is a noticeable difference in bass impact / power, perhaps due to transient peaks which will be much higher in amplitude vs RMS in high dynamic range music. At these peaks, perhaps the lower distortion and virtually no compression/attenuation of the 8361 is what creates the audible difference.

At lower volumes or with more dynamic range compressed music, there's no difference I can perceive. I know the 8351B is technically a little bit smoother, but they're both exceptional as you can see, and I personally can't really notice any audible preference for the 8351 over the 8361.
So if you have a budget and if we use 75dB as a maximum "reference level", is there really a point in getting the 8361 over the 8351? Is the "image" bigger in the 8361 or in the 8351?
Thank you in advance.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
When I had the 8351Bs here I felt you had to listen nearfield ie within 2 metres to be immersed in the soundfield, I listened to the 8361s at the Genelec centre in London and we sat much further away and immersion didn’t appear to be an issue, different rooms different music so not a particularly valid comparison, I would always go for the larger speaker if you have space.
Keith

Ardrazzt

When I had the 8351Bs here I felt you had to listen nearfield ie within 2 metres to be immersed in the soundfield, I listened to the 8361s at the Genelec centre in London and we sat much further away and immersion didn’t appear to be an issue, different rooms different music so not a particularly valid comparison, I would always go for the larger speaker if you have space.
Keith
Thank you. I seat at 3 meter, so I'm in the limit then? My system is a mixed for music and movies. Even the Genelec advisor told me to go for the 8341 in my room with subs, of course. But these are just wow...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Ideally you should hear both in your room, not always easy I realise, but the 8351Bs sounded like a ‘small’ speaker unless you were close, they also sound a bit ‘thin’ in a domestic setting but as Amir states they can of course be adjusted .
Keith

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Thank you. I seat at 3 meter, so I'm in the limit then? My system is a mixed for music and movies. Even the Genelec advisor told me to go for the 8341 in my room with subs, of course. But these are just wow...
You can also consider the S360, on their website they say you can sit up to 10 meters from it
Screenshot_20211115-125318.jpg
Screenshot_20211115-124838.jpg

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Keith
Given that they are all a similar-ish price, how do you think the Genelec 8361A compares to the Kii Three and the D&D 8C?

Ardrazzt

Ideally you should hear both in your room, not always easy I realise, but the 8351Bs sounded like a ‘small’ speaker unless you were close, they also sound a bit ‘thin’ in a domestic setting but as Amir states they can of course be adjusted .
Keith
Ok, My fear, as I own the Focal Solo6 which are great, is that the 8341 make a smaller image, so I think the 8351 would be better and of course the 8361...
I already ask for demos but they won't allow it...

Haskil

Forum Donor
Pas vrai non plus.
Un bon filtre dsp protège également les haut-parleurs - dans genelec, un filtre HP est utilisé en dessous du point d'accord des basses, de sorte que l'on peut jouer beaucoup plus fort qu'avec un haut-parleur passif qui n 'a aucun amortissement en dessous de la fréquence d'accord.
Une faible impédance en dessous de la zone EMF vous donne également une distorsion plus faible dans un haut-parleur actif.

Les bobines de croisement dans les haut-parleurs passifs pour les unités de basse, même pour les Revel les plus chers, ne sont pas des bobines à air mais des bobines de fer. Pas bon pour la qualité sonore.

Ils se déforment fortement avec seulement 30 watts d'entrée ou moins.

J'aimerais qu'Amirm puisse tester l'impact de la saturation avec certaines bobines de fer, comme ils l'ont fait avec hificompass.
Non, il existe de nombreuses enceintes qui utilisent des selfs à air dans le grave...

Mais je suis d'accord pour le reste de votre propos. Et de toute façon l'avantage du filtrage actif qu'il soit fait comme autrefois dans le domaine anlogique ou comme aujourd'hui grâce à un DSP programmé dans le domaine numérique est de se passer de selfs sur le HP de grave particulièrement, qu'elle soit à carcasse métallique, noyau de ferrite ou bobinées sur air.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Also not true .
A good dsp crossover also protects the drivers - in genelec a HP filter is used below the bass-tuning point , so one can play much louder than with a passive loudspeaker that has no damping at all below the tuning frequency.
Low impedance driving below EMF area also gives you lower distortion in an active loudspeaker.

The crossover coils in passive loudspeakers for the bass units, even for the more expensive Revels , are not air coils but iron coils. Not good for soundquality.

They distort heavily with just 30 Watts of input or less .

I wish Amirm could test the impact of saturation with some iron coils , just as they have done at hificompass.
The kh420 use a subsonic filter to protect the woofer.
With excursion and thermal limiter.
Without a dsp!

Tangband

Major Contributor
Revel ultima Salon 2 har an iron-coil in its crossover . FCA92E19-DB38-4201-9C95-A35586ACEBB4.jpeg

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Given that they are all a similar-ish price, how do you think the Genelec 8361A compares to the Kii Three and the D&D 8C?
Arthur that is the 64thousand euro question, I did approach ’Source’ but seemingly they are not keen, in the U.K. the Genelec distributor is also a Genelec retailer, a very fine arrangement no doubt for Source/HHB but not so good for other would be Genelec retailers.
Keith

Top Bottom