• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have lived with live instruments in my house. Pianos ( upright and Grand), Violins ( several, Cellos ( several)... What you hear on record is often far from what you hear at concert and again it depends on the seat and venue... Violins for example have much more treble energy than heard in most audio systems. The "massed strings" sweetness that many audiophiles talk about is a construct of rolled off systems or of recordings.
I thought it was just me, but this is why as a kid I could not stand to hear my friends playing violin (playing well at recitals) and chose piano and guitar instead.

Cadguy

At over $10,000 a pair the 8361s are expensive, but here in Canada the Kii 3 retail for over $20,000 plus another $2700 for the Kii Control ! When Erin measures the Kii 3 we'll see what they bring to the table but I don't think they'll measure better and certainly won't play as loud.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@echopraxia

Why does KEF keep trying to use Class A/B amplification with the tweeter?
The easy answer - KEF is consumer facing, and the consumer high end market is incredibly bias for certain technologies. Perception is reality. If consumers believe Class A is the bees knees, guess what? You get Class A because it's simply not worth it to "educate" the consumer. I guarantee that if consumers suddenly believed Class D is where it's at, then KEF will suddenly have marketing material pushing the superiority of Class D. We live in a world where marketing rides on confirmation bias aka the shortest distance between to points is a straight line, so don't fight the consumer just accept that they are right and give them what they want.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At over $10,000 a pair the 8361s are expensive, but here in Canada the Kii 3 retail for over $20,000 plus another $2700 for the Kii Control ! When Erin measures the Kii 3 we'll see what they bring to the table but I don't think they'll measure better and certainly won't play as loud.
I'd buy the Kii Control without the speakers and pretend it's doing something magical. I wish Genelec had something like that!

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Prior to this news, I've been mostly planning a system around 2x8351b + 7370a..
But I'm wondering if it's better at this point to just go 2x8361a and save $2k.. One less ugly box to worry about, too.
I have the 8351/7370a and I can confidently say I do NOT like having a giant subwoofer sitting around but mine is a home theater setup so it'll be hiding somewhere in a dark part of the room. For stereo listening in the home, I would've gone with the 8361 + GLM and then add a sub if I felt like I was missing something.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep looking at it. They really broke the mould/mold when making the 1 series. I think they will stand the test of time for appearance. Nothing boring about them.
The best part IMO is that because this is all aluminum, you can technically prime/paint to taste if you want and I am SOOOO tempted to do that

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The best part IMO is that because this is all aluminum, you can technically prime/paint to taste if you want and I am SOOOO tempted to do that
If the price was the same would you choose 8361A or 1237A?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For all these speakers, Genelec guidance is for nearer listening than my LR setup(these are recommended under 10ft, and I’m about 12). I’m wondering if that makes a big difference.
The recommendation is for professionals mastering at the stated loudness - how loud do you need your speakers is the question

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Maybe put a wrap on it like for cars?

Might be less value reducing than painting.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the price was the same would you choose 8361A or 1237A?
For my purposes (home theater), I love the ONES because of their controlled vertical directivity which is not a strength of the 1237A as it was designed for low distortion at high volume (its mid & tweeter amplifiers are 250 & 250 vs 150 & 150 for the 8361A) - so if @amirm challenged me to a far field stereo shootout against his Salon2 I would bring the 1237A. But if I was setting up a reference 7.1.4 home theater, I would definitely choose the 8361A for my L/C/R.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks good enough for home to me. Sadly its very expensive
71ebc9a1f2a6b3e44124a056d3a2025af6ffe61a_2_690x458.jpeg
That even LOOKS like they're 70 lbs each

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow wow wow - many thanks for the review Amir and the (loaded?:cool:) member who sent them in.

Has to be the review-of-the-year for me!

Hope to own these one day after getting the boring life stuff taken care of - house, kid college, retirement... I'm afraid I will be too old (or worse dead:eek:) by the time I can afford this level of performance. :oops:
You know that midlife crisis where people buy a Corvette, Mustang or Camaro? This is much cheaper and you don't end up dying while doing donuts at the next Cars & Coffee.

Tangband

Major Contributor
The easy answer - KEF is consumer facing, and the consumer high end market is incredibly bias for certain technologies. Perception is reality. If consumers believe Class A is the bees knees, guess what? You get Class A because it's simply not worth it to "educate" the consumer. I guarantee that if consumers suddenly believed Class D is where it's at, then KEF will suddenly have marketing material pushing the superiority of Class D. We live in a world where marketing rides on confirmation bias aka the shortest distance between to points is a straight line, so don't fight the consumer just accept that they are right and give them what they want.
Very true :).

Genelec did extensive investigations about class D amplifiers in their studiomonitors already twenty years ago, and 8 years ago , the year 2013 they discovered that the technology was mature and as good as class A/B , and in certain ways even better ( better bass, lower power consumtion, less heat ) .
Read Genelecs white-paper about class D here :

Top Bottom