• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's pretty much just the on-axis response. If you look closely at 200hz-3000hz, you can see the 8361A's variations cover about 1dB more than the 8351B. Maybe even 2dB if you include the 200hz dip and 300hz peak, which basically doesn't exist on the 8351B.

Keep in mind this is absolutely pixel-hunting on-paper-only silliness. There is margin-of-error to consider, I doubt this would be audible in most cases, and the biggest "flaw" is below the frequency where room EQ will be used anyways.

Also, if you believe in waterfalls, there are more resonances on that graph. But I don't think only-waterfall-visible resonances mean anything either.
Not to mention, at the volume that these are meant to be heard in mid/far field, any of those differences would be inaudible due to masking! So it makes sense the 8351B are a little better due to its application for lower volume listening.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 8351B uses the same midrange and tweeter, powered by the same amps, as the 8361A. So the main difference would be output between your sub crossover and ~320hz. This is a fairly narrow range, however, and honestly you will usually end up being sub-limited with this setup. My 12" sealed sub starts clipping on tracks with any amount of bass long, long before the 8351B does. Getting 2x Arendal 1723 2S soon which will alleviate this problem :p
I believe the Genelec rep has stated that if you plan to match with a Genelec sub anyway, his suggestion is to get the 8351B.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope Genelecs dialled in some planned obsolescence into this speaker or something because these really are the ones.
They do - I'm sure they'll release the 8361B at some point, and then you can pick these up for a huge discount on the secondary market! That's what happened with the 8351A when the 8351B was released.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question is: do you really need that?

I have the 8m dutch & dutch and they go VERY loud. Not healthy for your ears. Since I cut the bass from them and reroute the bass to 2 subs, this is an awesome system.

Nevertheless, great speaker this 8361A.
Yes, if you are mastering reference level for movies far field, the dynamic swings are huge - thus "pro" monitors. The pros do need something that can hit high SPL without distorting (or breaking) day in day out in a studio. Obviously, I'm not a professional mixer for movie theater content but we have one such member: @audio2920 what are your thoughts on the high SPL capability of the 8361A - necessary or overkill?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note: Rating for far-field listening

Preference Rating
SCORE: 6.7
SCORE w/ sub: 7.9

Frequency response: +/- 2.5dB 36Hz-20kHz ; +/- 1.6dB 34Hz-15kHz

If the preference rating goes up to 10, I'm curious what we can expect from speakers scoring significantly higher than this?? Does any such speaker exist and what's the audible "improvement" to the listener? I'm confounded that this is "only" 7.9! LOL damn measurements

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They do - I'm sure they'll release the 8361B at some point, and then you can pick these up for a huge discount on the secondary market! That's what happened with the 8351A when the 8351B was released.

that's a bit different but great to hear to be honest. I want to own these at one point.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the preference rating goes up to 10, I'm curious what we can expect from speakers scoring significantly higher than this?? Does any such speaker exist and what's the audible "improvement" to the listener? I'm confounded that this is "only" 7.9! LOL damn measurements

they don't, when you ask people to score speakers under blind conditions they never answer 10/10 or 9/10 (they take it very seriously lol). so the upper end of the score is never practically used.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
10k?
I wait for the Behringer version lol
You mean Monoprice right? Given that the speaker designer for Perlisten also designs for Arendal and Monolith series speakers, it shouldn't be long before we get some affordable DSP pro speakers that are similarly well designed. Monoprice has the technical DSP chops now (HTP-1) and their recent speaker/subwoofer releases have been well designed - take a look at the waveguide on the B6 below - this speaker should not cost $180! Spoiler: @hardisj may have Klippel measurements for these sooner rather than later ;)

431501.jpg

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hence my comment about the 8320A score with sub..

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is my first post here. I currently have a pair of 8361s set up in my listening room for an in home demo. I have owned and heard many excellent speakers over the years. I have a different perspective from many members here in that I have a soft spot for bbc inspired speakers as well as quad es. I listen mostly to classical music. I agree that 8361s have a remarkable amount of clean, excellent, well integrated bass. astounding really for a speaker of their size. They can play much louder than I would ever care to listen. They certainly appear to have no distortion and to be exceptionally clear at all volumes. The detail presented is amazing. I really can hear things on recordings that I had missed before. I have no doubt that they are everything Amir says and that their designers wanted. Nevertheless, my experience is that the speakers are poorly suited for classical or other acoustic music. I think that strings sound harsh and piano brittle. Depsite the excellent measurements and clear virtues of the speaker, the e string on a violin is artificial sounding to me, harsh, unpleasant and cold. I find myself dreading the high notes. The beauty of live acoustical music is just not conveyed by these speakers In my room. The speakers are incredibly impressive, but do not companionable.

Now, all of this is without equalization. I have a GLS system arriving today, and it may improve things. I understand that I am posting a contrary view here. I do not doubt that these speakers are surely all they are intended to be for non-acoustic music, but they produce a sound, at least without eq, that is little like real acoustic instruments. I also understand that most here will take me to be an out of touch subjectivist ignoring the objective measurements. I do not intend to be anti-scientific or disrespectful in any way, but merely to report my short experience experience listening to the speakers. I hope that eq will fix the problems, for the many virturpes of the speakers are obvious, but I would not call them musical speakers, at least for classical music. Do others here who listen to classical music disagree?
No, your subjective impressions are completely acceptable because you have to live with these things - I honestly believe that many of the issues you are hearing also have to do with (1) room interaction (2) speaker accuracy and (3) listener preference. Thankfully, #2 is irrelevant because #1 and #3 are easily addressed with the GLM system. The issue many consumers have is they are unwilling to play with GLM in order to tune it to #3 so instead, they go speaker shopping (which takes longer IMO) until they find a speaker that fits #1 and #3, and this as we know is pure blind luck. Hopefully, GLM EQ will allow you to tune down the harshness to your taste!

hege

Forum Donor
I have listened to the 1236A SAM system in the picture in a concert avenue built by Genelec here https://www.glivelab.fi/tampere/info/ and they were by far the best speakers I've ever heard, it was the first time I've heard clear and punchy bass in a concert. Would be fun to see Amir's reaction to the 1236A system some day. There are some measurements provided by Genelec in the operating manual here https://www.genelec.fi/1236a

Audiotupa has 1235A demo this and next weekend. Just came back, quite nice. As are the inwall 1234A's behind them, which I've heard several times..

Definitely "larger than life" sound than I can achieve with my 1237's even though they very nice already. :cool: Still waiting to hear the Ones, but it would be pretty hard to impress me after these.

The measurements are far from perfect on these big boys, but I didn't hear any problems moving around in the spot etc. People nitpicking on actually non-existing measurement differences between 8351/61 etc is funny..

84C6C5FB-897A-469E-BFD3-079F88A9074F.jpeg

0C68ACA3-9E38-4726-B487-00BF5BCB9980.jpeg

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean Monoprice right? Given that the speaker designer for Perlisten also designs for Arendal and Monolith series speakers, it shouldn't be long before we get some affordable DSP pro speakers that are similarly well designed. Monoprice has the technical DSP chops now (HTP-1) and their recent speaker/subwoofer releases have been well designed - take a look at the waveguide on the B6 below - this speaker should not cost $180! Spoiler: @hardisj may have Klippel measurements for these sooner rather than later ;)

431501.jpg
PS if you put two or more in your cart, the price is $169.99 each.

..must resist cart checkout!!! Damn you FOMO

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although they’re definitely hefty, they are probably the smallest and lightest speakers you‘ll find with this level of bass output capability. For example, Revel F328Be should definitely match (and likely exceed) the bass capability of these, but they weigh almost twice as much and are much more than twice the size.

Compared to equally competent towers, the 8361A are a relative breeze to carry around :)
Not to mention, you're carrying around an amplifier! So imagine carrying not just the speaker cabinet, but stacking on top the DAC, preamp, and amplifier!

Top Bottom