• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

maty

Major Contributor
@echopraxia

Why does KEF keep trying to use Class A/B amplification with the tweeter?

KEF LS50 Wireless II

The built-in amplifiers have been developed in-house by KEF. Each tweeter is driven by a 100W class A/B amplifier that delivers a smooth, incredibly detailed treble performance. Dedicated 280W class D amplifiers power the mid/bass drivers, for room-filling, controlled sound up to 108db.

Lambda

Major Contributor
ask KFE...
It's cheaper for low powerd tweeter.
Maybe they can't design and make good class d amps (and filter)
Maybe marketing.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I still see a lot of misassumption of their products being "toy-plasticky" -- which is funny, because there are a ton of crappy enclosures made of the like. Photos don't really do justice.
Yamaha MSP series is made out of plastic... Nothing bad about Plastic.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The appearance of these speakers is not exactly what I would choose in an ideal world - they're a bit blobby - but overall I'm fine with the aesthetics. I've always preferred stand-mounted speakers to floor-standers, and I've always preferred my speakers (and all my audio equipment, for that matter) to be black and just fade into the background, and these would fit that bill.

My issue, of course, is that $10k price tag. They are no doubt a solid, maybe excellent value for what you get (sound quality, amplification, DSP/DAC functionality, built quality). But it's still a lot of money. If I had the coin I'd be thrilled to get these and never even think about shopping for speakers again.

In fact, it does have me thinking about what that spare Oppo UDP-205 I have in the closet would fetch on eBay... :)

F1308

Major Contributor
Well, you asked for a 8371A and not for a subwoofer :)
Genelec does not classify W371A as a subwoofer on their webpage.
True.
They call it woofer.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The appearance of these speakers is not exactly what I would choose in an ideal world - they're a bit blobby - but overall I'm fine with the aesthetics. I've always preferred stand-mounted speakers to floor-standers, and I've always preferred my speakers (and all my audio equipment, for that matter) to be black and just fade into the background, and these would fit that bill.

My issue, of course, is that $10k price tag. They are no doubt a solid, maybe excellent value for what you get (sound quality, amplification, DSP/DAC functionality, built quality). But it's still a lot of money. If I had the coin I'd be thrilled to get these and never even think about shopping for speakers again.

In fact, it does have me thinking about what that spare Oppo UDP-205 I have in the closet would fetch on eBay... :)
$3500-$4500 depending ...

AdamQ

Great review thank you!! It only confirms what those of us who are lucky enough to own a pair already know. These speakers are simply peerless!!

I upgraded my old 8351a’s to the 8361a’s and they really are are another level. They simply push air like no other speaker and have this presence which has to be experienced to truly appreciate.

Posting a photo of my old 8351a next to the 8361a so you can get an idea of size difference.

Adam
PS any Sydney based members ever want to hear them I’d be happy to arrange a catch up! I’m based in Bondi Beach.

C42BD55D-078E-4B7B-852D-D02B77C5FB70.jpeg

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Great review thank you!! It only confirms what those of us who are lucky enough to own a pair already know. These speakers are simply peerless!!

I upgraded my old 8351a’s to the 8361a’s and they really are are another level. They simply push air like no other speaker and have this presence which has to be experienced to truly appreciate.

Posting a photo of my old 8351a next to the 8361a so you can get an idea of size difference.

Adam
PS any Sydney based members ever want to hear them I’d be happy to arrange a catch up! I’m based in Bondi Beach.

View attachment 164954
Are you sure the white one is the 8351A? It looks tiny :oops:

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure the white one is the 8351A? It looks tiny :oops:
The proportions look like a 8351 to me, though note that the 8361 in that photo is quite a bit closer to the camera which distorts it a bit. The 8351 isn't tiny, but the 8361 is definitely big. I love it the look and feel of them though, especially when you hear what they can do :)

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry if you have mentioned this already @echopraxia, but as someone who owns both the 8351 and 8361 how would you say that they compare? I can't really fit a mch setup at home. Is the flatter response of the former noticeable at all (I would assume it isn't)?

Thanks for the review @amirm, it's getting harder to resist the urge for every review of this darn brand.
Like AdamQ said above, the most obvious difference is just the massive amount of air the 8361 pushes. Even at playback with 85db-90db RMS SPL, there is a noticeable difference in bass impact / power, perhaps due to transient peaks which will be much higher in amplitude vs RMS in high dynamic range music. At these peaks, perhaps the lower distortion and virtually no compression/attenuation of the 8361 is what creates the audible difference.

At lower volumes or with more dynamic range compressed music, there's no difference I can perceive. I know the 8351B is technically a little bit smoother, but they're both exceptional as you can see, and I personally can't really notice any audible preference for the 8351 over the 8361.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@echopraxia

I don't know, but I think this is best saved to branch off in another thread. The debate between Class D vs Class AB has already been had time and time again in the amplifier sections on ASR; no need IMO to beat a dead horse here as well.

Honken

Thanks! I guess that I will have to try to find somewhere to audition these then!

KaLam1ty

Adam

View attachment 164954

Prior to this news, I've been mostly planning a system around 2x8351b + 7370a..
But I'm wondering if it's better at this point to just go 2x8361a and save $2k.. One less ugly box to worry about, too.

Going through this thread...
Man, "all you people" and both your 8351's and 61's lol...

Fug it, I think I'll just go 8361a's instead of the 8351b sub combo.
$2k saved now can grow into subs a few years later, if I ever need them... Now the hardest choice: do I pick Black or White color :rolleyes:?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Going through this thread...
Man, "all you people" and both your 8351's and 61's lol...

Fug it, I think I'll just go 8361a's instead of the 8351b sub combo.
$2k saved now can grow into subs a few years later, if I ever need them... Now the hardest choice: do I pick Black or White color :rolleyes:?
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!
I had to shoot. The exact thoughts I have reading this review.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow wow wow - many thanks for the review Amir and the (loaded?:cool:) member who sent them in.

Has to be the review-of-the-year for me!

Hope to own these one day after getting the boring life stuff taken care of - house, kid college, retirement... I'm afraid I will be too old (or worse dead:eek:) by the time I can afford this level of performance. :oops:

Top Bottom