• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze LCD-X Review (2021 Edition Headphone)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's probably right in front of my face, but I can't tell how to determine what edition of LCD-X I have? I ordered used from Amazon and it was not specified.
Pads assuming the ones you got were the originals. See the reviews. But I guess you'd still need to know what old and new looked like https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-ear-pads

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
It's probably right in front of my face, but I can't tell how to determine what edition of LCD-X I have? I ordered used from Amazon and it was not specified.
Audeze informed the serial numbers of the 2021 revision :

11/23/20 LCD-X Leather-Free 7527615
11/9/20 LCD-XC Leather 8523700
11/23/20 LCD-X Leather 7527600
11/23/20 LCD-XC Leather-Free 8523710

If yours is older than that the mesh grille is the 2020 revision, and the suspension headband is from 2017. These things can be changed by the owner (especially the headband), so you could ask audeze support for the manufacturer date based on the serial number.

shwnwllms

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For those wondering the Roon plugin for the 2021 revision is close to being finalized (assets for the presets have been handed over from Audeze to Roon already). Until then the LCD-4 plugin works quite well and the final LCD-X 2021 revision will be quite close to it according to the Audeze research director on this thread

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/updated-roon-dsp-preset-for-recently-updated-audeze-lcd-x/156879/10

I got an email flyer for the new version of their Reveal software which I assume includes the same new model profiles. At $199 I politely passed!

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
On its own, the box is 150$
You also get a balanced cable and 3.5mm adaptor. Seems like the premium package only exists now to make the creator edition look like really good value. I wonder if anybody actually buys it.

kingofthecrate

My understanding is that new pads fix most if not all the deficiencies of the OG LCD-Xs. Personally, after getting my pair custom EQ'd by Sonar Works around five years ago, I never felt they gave me anything to be unhappy about. I've always loved them.
I was looking at their website but I dont trust a sound analyzer on my iPhone via bluetooth headphones to measure my hearing. Seems gimmicky, also cost dependent, I feel like doing you own eq would be easier?

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Am the only one that is puzzled at that kinda response getting a thumbs up? Even with EQ? Is it because the overall quality if still good?

AVKS

Am the only one that is puzzled at that kinda response getting a thumbs up? Even with EQ? Is it because the overall quality if still good?
Likely because it sounds good/satisfying after EQ. IMO that's really the objective with these headphone reviews since even the Harman headphone target (I reference this since it's the 'scientific' target) is only preferred by 2/3 of listeners, there is a large degree of subjectivity involved; if a headphone with flaws can be made fully enjoyable by EQ to something approximating a Harman target (Amir's curve), then that's mission accomplished.

I know I greatly enjoy my desktop and home theater Revels with a Harman-esque in-room response but find a variety of headphone tonal profiles enjoyable depending on mood. At the moment I'm listening to Audeze LCD-2 closed driven by a THX 789 with some 20 Hz and 2K boost via Schiit Lokius and it sounds great.

in my case i don't eq them. Overall tone off this headphones is flat as you would expect from monitor cans and as a amateur guitarist i can say that they are giving uncoloured image of instruments with slightly less "vibe" than Sundara (which is near harman perfect) BUT if you compare them, there are massive differences in resolution, imaging, quality and mass in sound that lcd can produce. F.e. drums are like never heard before, so real and natural sounding. In side to side comparision Sundara are light both in sound and mass, with good tonality for enjoyment of music especialy for the price but everything else is soo much worse. They are not bad, but LCD-X are very very good. Besides, the drivers are mighty good, just check distortion levels, it's not Focal where you pay 3 times plus for different tuning of untunable diver (im just saying Elegia was for 400 USD in USA where in Poland they costs about 1000 USD so basic costs is very very low).
This preferences curves are something like book cover. They look that way because of lack of room resonances so someone decided to add a color to headphone sound for more pleasant characteristic.

edahl

I got an email flyer for the new version of their Reveal software which I assume includes the same new model profiles. At $199 I politely passed!
Reveal, essentially a patch for all their headphones, isn't free??!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Reveal, essentially a patch for all their headphones, isn't free??!
It's possible I misunderstood what was offered.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean I wouldn't put it past them to charge for it, I just always assumed it must be free

Now, I have a feeling that is full DSP software they are selling including the EQ plugins - not sure if there are free plugins for other DSP software. I know they already exist in Roon for "free".

evert

After testing a couple of headphones, I'm thinking of getting the LCD-X.
My current setup is the V-DAC and Schiit Magni, both original versions.
Would you think it's worth it to replace some of those units to get the most out of the new headphones?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
After testing a couple of headphones, I'm thinking of getting the LCD-X.
My current setup is the V-DAC and Schiit Magni, both original versions.
Would you think it's worth it to replace some of those units to get the most out of the new headphones?
We know the v dac measures fine and if it's the Magni 3+ that measures fine too. I'd get the headphone and enjoy what you have as you'll not get any real increase in performance from changing anything.

evert

We know the v dac measures fine and if it's the Magni 3+ that measures fine too. I'd get the headphone and enjoy what you have as you'll not get any real increase in performance from changing anything.
It's a Magni from 2014.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a Magni from 2014.
My mistake, misread your post. I'd still give it a go. The lcd x isn't hard to drive. Not the cleanest amp in the world by todays standards but should be fine.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
LCD2C Closed Back measurements and @amirm 's opinions would be great.

Top Bottom