• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Each speaker has two woofers with each having roughly an Sd of 300 cm^2, which means two 9.5" woofers.

OK, I should have posted something precise. So, for once and for all, here are the precise Genelec woofer sizes. I've calculated this from this photo in the 8351B disassembly thread because it seemed the most direct overhead perspective. Note that these may be off if the woofers are not exactly the same proportions, so the other Ones could be a bit different.

Also, as far as I know, woofer size is typically(though there is no real standard?) measured by the outer frame, not by the end of the surround or the cone size itself. Since the Genelec woofers are not attached to an outer baffle with this type of frame, these sizes are probably underestimates. Correct me if I'm wrong, one of you real speaker designers out there ;)

In all honesty, I do think it is best to go by measured capability, NOT by vague size metric that doesn't include excursion or power. And the 8361A matches up well with the KH420 according to S&R's testing, so that's the real result.

All these caveats done, here you go. All measurements except the last column in metric, not dirty imperialist measures ;)

1636707075196.png

1636705457517.png

P.S. Here is the spreadsheet, feel free to correct if I've messed anything up.
P.P.S Also this shows pretty well why the 8331A is absolutely not worthwhile unless you MUST fit a One into a tiny space.

Last edited:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My own active speakers are rated 500+ 100+100=700. Apparently that is the kind of power needed for clean bass, midrange and treble respectively?
It grabbed my attention because if I recall correctly it's the same power those hidden Mark Levinson's deliver, although they look like power plants.

ivity

As a professional sound designer I invested in a pair of 8341s to work in ultra nearfield scenario. I must say its the best investment in sound tools i ever did. Not only the sound is nearly perfect (as Amir tests show), but the most important is actually much less ear fatigue to work on longer sessions (due low IMD and equal vertical/horizontal directivity).
I totally recommend all The Ones series to audio pros and 8361A is on a top of it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The black one is to my taste the best looking one. The blue tint of the midrange/coax driver disappears the most (blends in with the rest of the cabin).

Irl the black is also more matte than in the pictures I think.

siDkD1F.jpg
I keep looking at it. They really broke the mould/mold when making the 1 series. I think they will stand the test of time for appearance. Nothing boring about them.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's aluminum if I'm not mistaken
Yes, I think they are. The process of casting those accurately dimensioned cabinets so the front and back mate accurately must be something to see. The casting process would be very interesting.

Top Bottom