• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

Music1969

Major Contributor
Biggest differences are:

D&D plays lower and controls directivity lower
Genelec plays louder and has less distortion

Thanks for the key differences.

Genelec plus 2 subs then. Maybe gets to price of D&D 8C.

But then have the problem of 'properly' integrating 2 subs.

Genelec subs do it easy but are expensive for a pair.

martijn86

The MiniDSP SHD has 4 XLR outputs and does room correction with bass control. A setup like that could make the absolute most out of what is possible in your room. Stereo Genelec's, JTR Captivator and a Rotary Sub for everything down to 1Hz. Perfect reference for a subjective reviewer as any difference is going to be a characteristic of the lesser speaker.

I wish they made this one in raw aluminium!

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A lot louder, like 15dB louder.
Question is: do you really need that?

I have the 8m dutch & dutch and they go VERY loud. Not healthy for your ears. Since I cut the bass from them and reroute the bass to 2 subs, this is an awesome system.

Nevertheless, great speaker this 8361A.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Question is: do you really need that?

I have the 8m dutch & dutch and they go VERY loud. Not healthy for your ears. Since I cut the bass from them and reroute the bass to 2 subs, this is an awesome system.

Nevertheless, great speaker this 8361A.

it depends really...

but like @amirm likes to put it nobody likes to know the limits of the things they own. :p

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I had to vote this "Great", even if it is expensive, something to aim for! So is this an 8" woofer? I know it's 3-way, but I'm guessing the largest driver is an 8" woofer? Googled quickly for specs and didn't come up with much.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it's 3-way, but I'm guessing the largest driver is an 8" woofer?

The 8361A has ~10" woofer size, it actually has more low bass output than the Neumann KH420 which is 10" but the Neumann has a bit more mid-bass.

The 8351B is in the 8" woofer size class.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is dual, oval woofers, one on top and one on bottom.
Ah ok, so they can't be characterised using the normal 8"/10" driver descriptions - because they're oval? I did see just now someone post the specs and one of the dimensions is 10" - so that must be the wide part of the oval.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I had to vote this "Great", even if it is expensive, something to aim for! So is this an 8" woofer? I know it's 3-way, but I'm guessing the largest driver is an 8" woofer? Googled quickly for specs and didn't come up with much.
Each speaker has two woofers with each having roughly an Sd of 300 cm^2, which means two 9.5" woofers.

1636701729698.png

1636701763469.png

index.php

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Thanks for the review!

i would start with one. A 7380 and 2x8361A already have high output (7mx11m room, LP at 3m).

So with perfect measurements, why does the W371 make such a difference? It of course increases max SPL but it also change the directivity in the bass and flatten the in room measurement. It make a very audible difference I am not really sure why. Ideas?

Last edited:

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not needed at all for music playback. For movies, then LFE channel should get its own sub.
I agree, I don’t find subs needed for most music I listen to. The only exception might be some bass-heavy synthesized music with a lot of sub-bass, like some EDM tracks. But even for those, it’s shocking how good and massively powerful the bass from the 8361A sounds even without a subwoofer, even for EDM.

The other factor is bass consistency within the room. As I understand it, more drivers tends to increase the consistency of bass through different positions in the room. So towers with multiple bass drivers spread out over a larger space will likely have an advantage there, as will setups with many subwoofers. But I, like Amir and many others here, find best bass quality results from full range mains, and subwoofers if at all get involved at a very low crossover.

hege

Forum Donor
Each speaker has two woofers with each having roughly an Sd of 300 cm^2, which means two 9.5" woofers.

I guess it's apples vs oranges comparing round and oval woofers. While oval might have more Sd for their physical area, I think they have less excursion etc. Then there's the reported slot chuffing, I wonder if @amirm can detect it?

Top Bottom