• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's a polarizing "you either love it or hate it" situation. I personally love the way they look -- much more interesting and beautiful than boring wooden boxes. I'd say probably >80% of people who see them comment on liking their appearance, and the remaining 20% say nothing (probably hate them) :)

Agreed. I really like the look of the Ones.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
1636690438242.gif

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you Amir for the measurement, this is one great speaker. I am wondering how they have acheived that impulse response with ported design. Did they use phase eq to eq the port output? I also would like to see the indivisual driver contribution and see what the port noise looks like. That mid range has so low disotortion that is nearly impossible to get, the waveguide probably helps a bit on that too. The size is also crazy huge, don't know if everyone can accept that, but luckily people dont care height too much if they don't place something on the top.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's a polarizing "you either love it or hate it" situation. I personally love the way they look -- much more interesting and beautiful than boring wooden boxes. I'd say probably >80% of people who see them comment on liking their appearance, and the remaining 20% say nothing (probably hate them) :)

Funnily enough, before I bought my 8351Bs, I polled a variety of friends of all genders. As you say, some people did hate them, about 15%, but most people thought they looked pretty good and would work well in a modern/scandinavian style living room.
Was it a recent higher resolution in graphs or something? the mid range unevenness (I know it's really small, but hey, it's pixel peeping equivalent here) seems even higher than the 8030 and 8050?

Note that this review confirms the previous consensus based on Genelec's own measurements, which is that the 8361A is a bit less perfect than the 8351B in terms of response. Could be that is just the price of increasing the size of this speaker design substantially from its previous maximum, as the 8351A was the original largest One. For that price, you get a bit lower frequency directivity control and of course the much higher output without a sub.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazing results. If only, if only, if only... it didn’t look like

View attachment 164847
I have to agree-they are so ugly but I suppose when one closes one's eyes and listens it's all bliss and beauty. How much do they weight each?

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funnily enough, before I bought my 8351Bs, I polled a variety of friends of all genders. As you say, some people did hate them, about 15%, but most people thought they looked pretty good and would work well in a modern/scandinavian style living room.

I agree I think they would work well in an Ikea living room, particularly the white ones.

Note that this review confirms the previous consensus based on Genelec's own measurements, which is that the 8361A is a bit less perfectthan the 8351B in terms of response. Could be that is just the price of increasing the size of this speaker design substantially from its previous maximum, as the 8351A was the original largest One. For that price, you get a bit lower frequency directivity control and of course the much higher output without a sub.
What about the measurements would you say are not as good as the 8351b?

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The idea clearly from Portal. These are quite the achievement, especially for the relatively compact size. It’s a real sign of innovation that they’ve developed a design unique in the industry and achieved the best performer vs optimizing one of the highly established speaker configurations.

Attachments

• 7DF9CFF1-C5F0-48FC-8BA2-9C45D7B820E9.jpeg
    7DF9CFF1-C5F0-48FC-8BA2-9C45D7B820E9.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 248

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The idea clearly from Portal. These are quite the achievement, especially for the relatively compact size. It’s a real sign of innovation that they’ve developed a design unique in the industry and achieved the best performer vs optimizing one of the highly established speaker configurations.
Yes, they really are different. Those oval woofers, the front baffle separating the woofer baffle from the tweeter baffle, active, huge power output. Just all around rebel speakers. :D

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the measurements would you say are not as good as the 8351b?
It's pretty much just the on-axis response. If you look closely at 200hz-3000hz, you can see the 8361A's variations cover about 1dB more than the 8351B. Maybe even 2dB if you include the 200hz dip and 300hz peak, which basically doesn't exist on the 8351B.

Keep in mind this is absolutely pixel-hunting on-paper-only silliness. There is margin-of-error to consider, I doubt this would be audible in most cases, and the biggest "flaw" is below the frequency where room EQ will be used anyways.

Also, if you believe in waterfalls, there are more resonances on that graph. But I don't think only-waterfall-visible resonances mean anything either.

LMDA1

Forum Donor
Very nice stuFF! Available in 3 colors. In Canada $5350.00 each and in the USA $4995 each. The Canadian price is surprisingly low compared to the USA price. This is picture intensive! So many features and capabilities...
Gray finish.
View attachment 164836
Black finish.
View attachment 164837
View attachment 164838
View attachment 164839
View attachment 164840
View attachment 164841
View attachment 164842
View attachment 164843
View attachment 164848
Genelec-8361A-connections.jpg

View attachment 164849
View attachment 164845
Genelec_8361A_02-Sol7gVUs77Sk3w.4zXVgqW8Djg4iEF5C.jpg
Wait, there’s a subwoofer option ?! Interest piqued.

Top Bottom