• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

John57

Nope, my SU-9N does not have automatic off. Just the display can be set for timed delay off.

ABSNimes

Hi ABSNimes,
Have you had the opportunity to find out whether the SU-9N have an automatic on/off function, turning it on if the SU-9N receives a signal, and turning it off after a while when there is no signal? I can't find out when reading the manual from SMSL.
Hi Kermitt116
There is a display on/off timer you can define in DIMMER Menu, from 5 to 60s, increment 5s.
There is no input sensor detecting incoming source signal (BT/Toslink/SPDIF/USB), BTW no auto shutdown as you describe.
Power consumption is 0.5W in standby, only 5W in normal operation mode.
Power button on the remote control remains the best option ;)
Hope it helps

Kermit116

Hi Kermitt116
There is a display on/off timer you can define in DIMMER Menu, from 5 to 60s, increment 5s.
There is no input sensor detecting incoming source signal (BT/Toslink/SPDIF/USB), BTW no auto shutdown as you describe.
Power consumption is 0.5W in standby, only 5W in normal operation mode.
Power button on the remote control remains the best option ;)
Hope it helps
Thanks, unfortunately it helps.

I will continue to look around for something similar with that feature and within the price band.

Thanks.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 just posted his measurement of the SMSL SU-9n. https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-smsl-su-9n-dac/

Apparently there is a significant high frequency roll-off when the default filter is selected. The DEFAULT filter! Buyers are getting -0.5dB at 5kHz, 1dB at 7kHz, and -2dB at 10kHz. I don't think this is inaudible. It amazes me how dedicated SMSL is when it comes to colorating seemingly "transparent" gears. I guess some of their customers calls for it.

Relative-Level-1-1.jpg

JRS

Major Contributor
I think these dacs are good because half of the job is inside the chip, you just have to implement it right. Unfortunately for amplifiers even in D class, that somehow are chip amplifiers, it's far from perfect..

I wonder instead of building all these dacs, why not build a one box solution, Dac, Amp, Headamp? There are some from SMSL, but not very good. Is this impossible because of interferences between electronics or they just would not sell well?
I agree. Back in the day we had integrated amps and receivers. It strikes me that the Topping Dx3 pro is almost a great example of an integrated amp if it had speaker outs with even 8W/side for desktop. Now add streaming to the mix (I mean how many people actually use a radio at home) and you have a twenty first century receiver. The cheaper Pioneers, Denons, Sony's should all be based on solid DAC with 3 digital inputs including HDMI, a 30 to 100 W/side amplifier with good headphone out, and streaming, BT. The things they sell are dinosaurs.

Last edited:

Volikovvv

Hello guys, could you please assist with DPLL setting for this dac, i have no issue with sound flow on any value of this setting. But what it the best mode for performance?

p.s This spring owned original SU-9. This unit sounds a little bit softer(good for me), without prominent bass region(which was no so great in my setup), so the sound sliiightly different, in nuances. As far as i understand, they tuned it more correctly. Customized filters is almost unlistanable, the cut off tu much, i will be happy with filter implemented for example like: first order on 12khz, but they doo cutoff to early, 3 or 4khz from my ear.

Last edited:

GeekyBastard

I just watched a scathing review of this dac with the criticism being about its low value based on price.

From the comments:
"well, the measurements are utterly meaningless. They have literally no effect to the listening experience. That’s all Topping and SMSL seem to be doing these days—releasing a product every month with slightly lower THD or marginally higher dynamic range. You can’t hear THD or noise under 1%. And you cannot listen to music above 90db for long without damaging your hearing. So, what difference does it make when these products measure well? It’s such a shame ASR refuses to put its measurements into context."

I was thinking of either getting this DAC SU-9n or the Denafrips Ares II. The Ares has such a great following but I was liking the SU-9n measurements and not needing a preamp along with a remote. But the above review has me pushing toward the Ares.
Better measurements basically guaranteed a good listening experience, you simply just can't have a good listening experience with crappy devices, unless you've never listened to a better equipment.

My advice, stay away from personnel who’re biased, uneducated and distrust science.

John57

Hello guys, could you please assist with DPLL setting for this dac, i have no issue with sound flow on any value of this setting. But what it the best mode for performance?

p.s This spring owned original SU-9. This unit sounds a little bit softer(good for me), without prominent bass region(which was no so great in my setup), so the sound sliiightly different, in nuances. As far as i understand, they tuned it more correctly. Customized filters is almost unlistanable, the cut off tu much, i will be happy with filter implemented for example like: first order on 12khz, but they doo cutoff to early, 3 or 4khz from my ear.

Ordered a Topping D30 Pro. It has "auto-on/off".
In theory, the lower the DPLL the better for jitter. I have mine set for 4. As long, you do not have sounds that cut off, or crackly you can adjust the DLL.

Philong

Hi guys, I see no output option to choose in Su-9n menu. Is that mean if I connect the Xlr out put to my active speakers and rca out put to my head amp sh9 then to my headphone, then they will play music in both speakers and headphone when I turn on the music?

Last edited:

John57

I believe that both outputs are active, but I would only have one pair of outputs connected. On my old Topping D90 which have menu option of driving both outputs at the same time the sound became labored and distorted. I am just using the XLR outputs on my SU-9.

ABSNimes

Hi guys, I see no output option to choose in Su-9n menu. Is that mean if I connect the Xlr out put to my active speakers and rca out put to my head amp sh9 then to my headphone, then they will play music in both speakers and headphone when I turn on the music?
Both outputs XLR & RCA are active at the same time, no need to select.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe that both outputs are active, but I would only have one pair of outputs connected. On my old Topping D90 which have menu option of driving both outputs at the same time the sound became labored and distorted. I am just using the XLR outputs on my SU-9.
My D70 has the same capability and there is no change in SQ or volume regardless of outputting RCA only, XLR only or both simultaneously. You may have a defective unit.

John57

My D70 has the same capability and there is no change in SQ or volume regardless of outputting RCA only, XLR only or both simultaneously. You may have a defective unit.
You are incorrect. I can switch either RCA or XLR while connected in the menu but not both at the same time. It was too much of a load in my case for the D90 to drive both outputs at the same time. The same is true for the Deafrips DAAC's and the manual state that is not recommend having both outputs connected. Your results may vary.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are incorrect. I can switch either RCA or XLR while connected in the menu but not both at the same time. It was too much of a load in my case for the D70 to drive both outputs at the same time. The same is true for the Deafrips DAAC's and the manual state that is not recommend having both outputs connected. Your results may vary.
Why would you assert I'm incorrect? Are you here in my house listening to my system? While both outputs are active? I thought you said you had a D90. Simply pushing the central button on the remote cycles from RCA only to XLR only then to both together. I'm certain that works on most of their higher end model DACs.

John57

You are incorrect to state that my unit D90 was defective. I also gave an example of a DAC manufacture that stated not to connect both outputs at the same time. My last line stated that your results may vary. If it works for you that fine. The D90 works just fine when I select either outputs but not both at the same time. My MOTU Ultralite mk5 can drive 5 pairs of outputs at the same time without degradation or volume reduction. I did not test my SU-9n to see how well it can drive both outputs since it is connected to my MOTU interface which avoid the issue that I had with the Topping unit.

tongpoh

You are incorrect to state that my unit D90 was defective. I also gave an example of a DAC manufacture that stated not to connect both outputs at the same time. My last line stated that your results may vary. If it works for you that fine. The D90 works just fine when I select either outputs but not both at the same time. My MOTU Ultralite mk5 can drive 5 pairs of outputs at the same time without degradation or volume reduction. I did not test my SU-9n to see how well it can drive both outputs since it is connected to my MOTU interface which avoid the issue that I had with the Topping unit.
Hi, how is the Dac part of the ultralite mk5 compare to the su-9n, for only playback which one better?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I may be misunderstanding you. You initially stated the D90 became distorted and labored when trying to drive both outputs simultaneously. Then you said you gave an example of a DAC manufacturer that stated not to connect both outputs at the same time. Was that the D90?

nubs

Can anyone explain to me how to ensure that I have 32bit and 768KHz?

Attachments

• sound quality.png
    sound quality.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom