• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comfortable alternative to Focal Utopia

DEF

Hello, dear community.

I had tried out the Focal Utopia, paired with the RME ADI 2 DAC FS. The sound was brilliant.
Comfort was off. I could not wear it for multiple hours without pain on the apex and the neck.
I currently own an AKG K812 (good comfort but not enough grip), a Beyerdynamic DT 770 (good comfort with replacement headband of custom one pro https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro/ )

The headphone has to have a good grip, as I often play the piano. So I don't want it to accidentally slide off.

What would you recommend?

Best regards+Thanks

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD650 are lightweight and have quite a bit of clamp so they should stay put and not give you a neck-ache.

Reactions: DEF
I owned the Utopia and also the Sennheiser mentioned here, and I’d recommend the Meze Elite. Great sound and comfort and build quality.

OP
D

DEF

I owned the Utopia and also the Sennheiser mentioned here, and I’d recommend the Meze Elite. Great sound and comfort and build quality.
The Meze doesn't seem to sit tight on your head, though. Does it not slip off easily when you tilt your head?
Cause the Utopia does that.
My spare Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro doesn't do that.

Last edited:
The Meze doesn't seem to sit tight on your head, though. Does it not slip off easily when you tilt your head?
Cause the Utopia does that.
My spare Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro doesn't do that.
No, it doesn't slide at all, at least on my head. But these things are of course very individual (I found the Utopia's clamp force too hard, for example)

OP
D

DEF

No, it doesn't slide at all, at least on my head. But these things are of course very individual (I found the Utopia's clamp force too hard, for example)
You can bang your head?
Sometimes at Piano play, erratic movement of the head, especially when expressing oneself is common.
So I'd like to prevent that at all costs.

Received the Sennheiser HD-650. Cheap material. Good clamp. Bad comfort over time (apex)
Sound lacks clarity. Bass lacks. Mid feels recessed. Highs are partially too harsh.
I'm not yet won over.

Looking at this, this is matching my impressions.

By the way, the only comfortable headphone for 24/7 usage that I know of, is a modified Beyerdynamic headphone where I replaced the headband with the beyerdynamic custom one pro headband.
It has just the right cushioning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom