• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My experience at HIFI Store

HRTF_Enthusiast

I just went to a "HIFI" store and listened to Focal Celestee, Stellia, Audeze LCD-XC, LCD-2 Classic, LCD-2 Closed, LCD-4, HIFIMAN Arya, Ananda, Grado GD2000e, SR80x, RS2x, Meze Empyrean, and Elite. All of them sounded terrible in some way.

Focal:
The worst headphones there, were by far, the Focal Celestee and Stellia. Nonexistent midrange and treble resolution. Both got distorted quickly in bass.

Audeze:
The LCD-2 Closed was the only acceptable sounding Audeze. Although, it was still lacking in midrange and treble resolution.

HIFIMAN:
The Arya is unbelievably bad and sounds just like the measurement. Simply no resolution to be found. Ananda midrange was too hollow and also lacked any resolution.

Grado:
Funnily enough, the only headphone that sounded close to correct in treble was Grado SR80x (the other Grados sucked). Sadly, SR80x is crippled by nonexistent sub-bass and distortion.

Meze:
Both Empyrean and Elite sounded hollow and congested in mids.

What a disappointing experience.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They didn't have any Harman designed headphones? Reads like you are hearing the emperor has no clothes and the resulting circle of confusion in headphones.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I just went to a "HIFI" store and listened to Focal Celestee, Stellia, Audeze LCD-XC, LCD-2 Classic, LCD-2 Closed, LCD-4, HIFIMAN Arya, Ananda, Grado GD2000e, SR80x, RS2x, Meze Empyrean, and Elite. All of them sounded terrible in some way.

Focal:
The worst headphones there, were by far, the Focal Celestee and Stellia. Nonexistent midrange and treble resolution. Both got distorted quickly in bass.

Audeze:
The LCD-2 Closed was the only acceptable sounding Audeze. Although, it was still lacking in midrange and treble resolution.

HIFIMAN:
The Arya is unbelievably bad and sounds just like the measurement. Simply no resolution to be found. Ananda midrange was too hollow and also lacked any resolution.

Grado:
Funnily enough, the only headphone that sounded close to correct in treble was Grado SR80x (the other Grados sucked). Sadly, SR80x is crippled by nonexistent sub-bass and distortion.

Meze:

You gained valuable experience and avoided wasting money , win win.
Out of curiosity what were you comparing these headphones to?

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Focal:

Audeze:

HIFIMAN:

Grado:

Meze:

I call bullshit. We all know there are no more HIFI stores.

OP
H

HRTF_Enthusiast

They didn't have any Harman designed headphones? Reads like you are hearing the emperor has no clothes and the resulting circle of confusion in headphones.
Celestee and LCD-2 Closed are probably closest. Bass definitely wasn't lacking in LCD-2 Closed..

JSmith

Master Contributor
All of them sounded terrible in some way
That is disappointing, especially after making the effort to go to an actual store... it may be worth focusing on models recommended here without EQ for store evaluation?

1636506188467.png

JSmith

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't expect sound quality to be correlated to price. Hopefully expensive headphones are well made using luxury materials and well accessorised (though even these aren't a given) but price really isn't a good indicator of sound quality.

Tachyon88

So with that, are you even interesed in trying more or are you just going to call it a day with your HD650 ?

Slayer

Don't expect sound quality to be correlated to price.
This statement rings very true, just as with our speakers and other audio gear.
I have sometimes thought this statement should be on a banner at the front page of this forum

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Focal:

Audeze:

HIFIMAN:

Grado:

Meze:

Not surprised with your findings. Without EQ, Focal Stellia, Elegia and Celestee, Audeze, Arya and Grado are terrible IMO, Clear is overpriced for its sound but definitely not as bad as un-eqed Stellia (I'd take the HD800 SDR/S over Clear in a heartbeat). Without EQ, Focal Utopia is the one and only that I preferred in the multi-kilobuck range and actually worth its price tag while HD800S is my next preference.

bravomail

If I brought my computer I would have been tempted to. But I don't have any PEQ on my iPhone.
there should be paid PEQ software available for iPhone. Or a player with PEQ.
did u use standard Apple audio dongle then?
or (gasp) old iPhone with 3.5mm headphone jack?
neither will have enough good power to drive those expensive headphones - they r not mobile friendly.

Top Bottom