• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the best amp/DAC for akg-712 pro?

kurotoast

I have akg-712 pro with Fiio K5 Pro and I love them but I wonder is it worth to upgrade the amp/DAC? My budget is around 300-500 usd. Those are my first headphones and maybe it's better to save more for another pair of headphones with different sound signature?

Skinner001

I have akg-712 pro with Fiio K5 Pro and I love them but I wonder is it worth to upgrade the amp/DAC? My budget is around 300-500 usd. Those are my first headphones and maybe it's better to save more for another pair of headphones with different sound signature?
There are better performers on paper (much better) - as far as the DAC portion is concerned (see the review HERE) - however, the K712 pros are quite easy to drive and if you're not getting any audible distortion or something like that, it's unlikely you'd be able to hear a difference by upgrading.

Now, depends on what you want from the hobby, buying and owning better stuff might increase satisfaction by itself + a myriad of other aspects from placebo to actual features you might want from a DAC/amp combo or stack.

You could get something like an E30 DAC and still use the decent power from the K5 if you're concerned with the performance of it as a DAC - but again, unlikely that you'll hear a difference, especially beyond strict AB testing in normal everyday use. Or perhaps simply something like the E30/L30 stack which will not break the bank but you can be confident you have well measuring gear and be done with doubting the K5.

Generally speaking, almost all of us here spent or still actively spend more money than we need to in order to strictly get good SQ and be happy with any of the additional features we want - but that's part of it.

My advice, enjoy music, don't fuss as much about the gear - and save your money :D

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If youre simply looking to improve SQ overall, have a little $ burning a hole in your pocket and you use the Harman target, oratory shows a decent-size bump in the right direction via Dekoni sheepskin pads. I would expect the hybrid pads to have the same, or very similar, effect.

Top Bottom