• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS DH80S Review (DAC & Amp)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@amirm Can you do a frequency plot.
The filter response suggests 20kHz is -11dB but that would be a bit too much.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@amirm Can you do a frequency plot.
The filter response suggests 20kHz is -11dB but that would be a bit too much.

@44.1kHz sampling sure, it's way down and essentially a broken filter design. But have a look at the 192kHz multitone. The 20kHz tone is hardly down at all.

The promise of digital back in 1982 was ruler flat repsonse to 20kHz. This doesn't come close, nearly 40 years later.

bidn

@44.1kHz sampling sure, it's way down and essentially a broken filter design. But have a look at the 192kHz multitone. The 20kHz tone is hardly down at all.

The promise of digital back in 1982 was ruler flat repsonse to 20kHz. This doesn't come close, nearly 40 years later.

Yes, I find such FR roll-off at such an early point fully unacceptable! How could they be this sloppy?
Also personally I would not be able to use the balanced out with Sony's 4.4 mm diameter, my IEMs with a balanced cable have a connector with Astell & Kern's 2.5 mm diameter.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I find such FR roll-off at such an early point fully unacceptable! How could they be this sloppy?
Also personally I would not be able to use the balanced out with Sony's 4.4 mm diameter, my IEMs with a balanced cable have a connector with Astell & Kern's 2.5 mm diameter.
For me it is all academic what happens around 20 kHz as no one will notice in practice. And I am all for 4.4 mm pentagon for maximum channel separation and more resistant connector plug. :)

GaryH

Major Contributor
For me it is all academic what happens around 20 kHz as no one will notice in practice.
Some younger listeners will be able to hear a difference, so it's less academic than SINAD, for which no-one will hear the difference between -80 and -110 dB THD in practice. Not getting the very basics right of flat frequency response up 20 kHz should be an instant fail in this day and age.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you get by adding the DH80 to the DH80S?

*edit* Ah, I get it, the DH80 is the same as the DH80S, but designed as a dock for the AP80 DAP.

dib

I use the DH80S with my Ananda, playing Flac 16bit/44.1K files with a fraction of its power.
The DAC here surpasses the CD quality for sure, and the Amp is powerful for low impedance and high sensitive headphones.
If 24bit is used, so top desktop Dac-Amp is obviously better,
but I wonder if even a combo like A90+D90SE would bring an audible sound quality improvement.
Perhaps balanced DH80S+ A90 ?

Ata

Forum Donor
I use the DH80S with my Ananda, playing Flac 16bit/44.1K files with a fraction of its power.
The DAC here surpasses the CD quality for sure, and the Amp is powerful for low impedance and high sensitive headphones.
If 24bit is used, so top desktop Dac-Amp is obviously better,
but I wonder if even a combo like A90+D90SE would bring an audible sound quality improvement.
Perhaps balanced DH80S+ A90 ?

That is the 1000+ dollars question, isn't it? I have not read anything about ABXing DACs nor headamps.

My SMSL iDEA and Topping D50 both sound transparent to my ears when driving my Stax setup. Either the difference is inaudible, or I need some of the GoldenOne's training to discern between the two. :) Heck, there was miniscule difference between the ancient DAC in my 20 year old Sherwood 9090 AVR and the Topping D50 through the same AVR in Pure Direct mode.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty impressive but a few question marks. IMO Topping need to hit back with a dual balanced pentaconn output/3.5 mm unbalanced nx4 successor.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Some younger listeners will be able to hear a difference, so it's less academic than SINAD, for which no-one will hear the difference between -80 and -110 dB THD in practice. Not getting the very basics of flat frequency response up 20 kHz should be an instant fail in this day and age.
To me the 50 mV SNR issue is not just academic neither. Many people will want to use this with sensitive Iems since it's portable, I wouldn't be surprise if some hear background hiss.

Edit: @amirm was this measurment made on high or low gain?

Last edited:

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pretty impressive but a few question marks. IMO Topping need to hit back with a dual balanced pentagon output/3.5 mm unbalanced nx4 successor.
I think the NX7 has one 4.4 and one 3.5 output (looks like it in the pics anyway)

Labjr

Major Contributor
Looking at the pictures, it seems to me that some kind of update / revision occured: Yours says "DH80S BAL DAC & AMP", Amir's "DH80s Balance Dac&Amp". But maybe just a correction of minor text errors?

They need a native English proof reader. Same goes for their marketing info. Also seems like their brand names are uninspiring.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me the 50 mV SNR issue is not just academic neither. Many people will want to use this with sensitive Iems since it's portable, I wouldn't be surprise if some hear background hiss.
I personally wouldn’t want to buy something like this and have to get something else to use iems.

nerone

Considering the 2 volts can it also be used on an amplifier for loudspeakers?

Top Bottom