• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which pre built Purifi Amp sould I buy?

OP
G

GeeDeWee

The BoXem amp has one PSU, am I right? I suppose they also believe there is no advantage in using two? Still wondering why other manufacturers sell units with two...

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I am also interested in buying a Purifi Amp, what is your opinion on the Build/Wiring from the cheapest Purifi Amp available in Europe:
Looks very clean, but I think they are using their own buffer board rather than the one with the Eval 1. Aside possibly from durability concerns arising from the connectors being directly attached to the buffer board, I know of no reason performance wise for using anything other than the Eval 1 board. Its performance is documented in Amir's review, and when manufacturers substitute a "superior" buffer board, it seems measured performance always is degraded.

Sonny1

I decided to buy a ready built Purifi 1ET400A based amp, to pair with my Rotel RC995 pre-amp and my Acoustic Research AR11 speakers.
Used to have a Bryston 4B, but it broke and sold it to someone who wanted to fix it and use it himself.

I listened to the Hypex NC400 DIY mono blocks a friend of mine owns and I was very impressed. The Purifi seems to me is another step forward in class D (although I did not have the opportunity to listen to it yet).

Any ideas which one I should buy (and why)?
Options I found:
- Nord Three 1ET400A ST (single SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Nord Three 1ET400A MKII Dual Mono (2x SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Apollon 1ET400A mini (single SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Apollon 1ET400A (2x SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Audiophonics HPA-S400ET (single SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Sparkos Edition (single SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- 2x Audiophonics MPA-S400ET mono block (SMPS600A400 PSU)

I guess if I would decide to go for a Hypex module, the same brands come by.
So what I'm really looking for is the difference between the brands in built quality, the use of one or two PSU's, buffers, opamps, etc.

Any insights would be appreciated!
GeeDeWee

You are splitting hairs with the amp choices. I doubt you will be able to tell the difference among the amps listed (of the same power rating) with 40 year old speakers. Not knocking them but technology and speaker design has progressed substantially since those speakers were designed.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your replies. I'm located in The Netherlands, in the same town Hypex is located actually :).
I wonder, if dual power supplies don't increase performance, why sell them with a double power supply?
I’d go with boxem in your position on locale and quality of overall execution. Nord are well established with a few ranges across budgets and well manufactured. I personally have a March p452 which is again very well executed but premium price and needs shipping from the other side of the world. If I was buying again I’d buy the boxem in satin black.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks very clean, but I think they are using their own buffer board rather than the one with the Eval 1. Aside possibly from durability concerns arising from the connectors being directly attached to the buffer board, I know of no reason performance wise for using anything other than the Eval 1 board. Its performance is documented in Amir's review, and when manufacturers substitute a "superior" buffer board, it seems measured performance always is degraded.
I’m not sure it’s the case that custom buffers inevitably degrade the performance. The measurements Alan March sent me, whilst obviously not complete or independent, show a slight improvement. @amirm measured a Nord buffer and it was excellent.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The BoXem amp has one PSU, am I right? I suppose they also believe there is no advantage in using two? Still wondering why other manufacturers sell units with two...
Why not sell 2 PSUs in these challenging times? There’s no end of people who would buy 2 just for the sake of it.

Chester

Personally, I would hold off on the Nord Purifi for now. I have one and while they are nicely put together, there have been some significant issues that are yet to be resolved. I will say more when I can.

OP
G

GeeDeWee

You are splitting hairs with the amp choices. I doubt you will be able to tell the difference among the amps listed (of the same power rating) with 40 year old speakers. Not knocking them but technology and speaker design has progressed substantially since those speakers were designed.
Good point. But I don't think the AR's will be the last speakers I bought. I'll probably change them sooner then the amp I'm looking for now.

OP
G

GeeDeWee

Thanks for your replies. I'm leaning towards either the Boxem, the Appollon mini or the NAD. Probably no enormous differences sound wise, rather personal taste.

Astojab

Since its possible to bypass the interface card, would that circumvent the buffer board or are that two different things?

amper42

Major Contributor
Thanks for your replies. I'm leaning towards either the Boxem, the Appollon mini or the NAD. Probably no enormous differences sound wise, rather personal taste.

When I bought the March Audio P452 Purifi amp I saw Purifi reviews and thought it would sound better than my existing Monolith 7x200. But to be honest, in an A/B test with the Revel F328Be and RME ADI-2 I can't tell much difference when switching between the two amps. I certainly would have trouble being correct 60% of the time in a blind test. I have the Buckeye NC502MP on order and it should be here by Dec. 15. I plan to use REW to test each amp and plot them with a REW chart - as well as critical listening by switching between the Monolith 7x200, Purifi and the NC502MP.

I don't know what the outcome will be but these are all good amps. Before I would spend $1700 on another Purifi amp I would think listening to the NC502MP right next to the Purifi amp would be worthwhile. Not saying Purifi is not worth it. I'm just skeptical that the Purifi is worth the value of three NC502MP amps. After my tests in Dec. I'll know for sure.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I bought the March Audio P452 Purifi amp I saw Purifi reviews and thought it would sound better than my existing Monolith 7x200. But to be honest, in an A/B test with the Revel F328Be and RME ADI-2 I can't tell much difference when switching between the two amps. I certainly would have trouble being correct 60% of the time in a blind test. I have the Buckeye NC502MP on order and it should be here by Dec. 15. I plan to use REW to test each amp and plot them with a REW chart - as well as critical listening by switching between the Monolith 7x200, Purifi and the NC502MP.

I don't know what the outcome will be but these are all good amps. Before I would spend $1700 on another Purifi amp I would think listening to the NC502MP right next to the Purifi amp would be worthwhile. Not saying Purifi is not worth it. I'm just skeptical that the Purifi is worth the value of three NC502MP amps. After my tests in Dec. I'll know for sure.
Agreed. NC502MP is insanely good, and ridiculous value. The amp to beat IME.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Can you elaborate on that feature?

I would also like to see the finished product all in black. Surprisingly such a combination is not pictured on your website. Can you post a few pics?

Thanks
Sorry for the late reply.
The audiosense is using a dedicated standby power supply to detect a signal in the audio frequency range above a certain threshold. When the signal is detected the main power supply and the amplification is started. IF the signal is not detected anymore during 10 minutes, the amplification and main supply are shut down.
One pic of the black/anthracite:

IMG_1047.png

All the color combinations are now visible on the website: https://boxem-audio.eu/en/stereo-amplifiers/10-45-arthur-4215e2.html

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pma

Major Contributor
What is the distance between speaker terminals (red/black), I would vote for at least standard 19 mm.

Sorry for the late reply.
The audiosense is using a dedicated standby power supply to detect a signal in the audio frequency range above a certain threshold. When the signal is detected the main power supply and the amplification is started. IF the signal is not detected anymore during 10 minutes, the amplification and main supply are shut down.
One pic of the black/anthracite:

View attachment 164180
All the color combinations are now visible on the website: https://boxem-audio.eu/en/stereo-amplifiers/10-45-arthur-4215e2.html
OK, that's exactly to my taste. Now if only you weren't charging an arm and leg for shipping fees within the EU....

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom