• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Teardown (2nd Disassembled)

Scoox

I have 8341

Grand! Would you be able to check what your LF drivers look like? I don't even know if that part of the diaphragm can be seen but if it can, it'd be interesting. Thanks

Scoox

The usual way for such requests is to write an email and wait. This forum might offer the opportunity to publicly interrogate an engineer of a world market leader and try to enforce a preconceived answer level, but it does not mean that the possibility alone enobles one to do so or even expect such a strategy to succeed. I'd recommend you to return to the more private and humble way of the usual (would be!) customer request via individual communication, instead of beleaguering this thread and casting doubt, as anyway, and you may have noted it already, the professional already indicated that he "considers this case closed" ...

I contacted them privately through support and got the same unsatisfactory answer—it is normal, don't worry about it. It's unsatisfactory because we are talking about high-end studio monitors here, not ripped jeans.

ivity

Grand! Would you be able to check what your LF drivers look like? I don't even know if that part of the diaphragm can be seen but if it can, it'd be interesting. Thanks
Its impossible to see this "tearing" from outside, but here you go. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1636394003269.jpg
    1636394003269.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 308
  • 1636394003279.jpg
    1636394003279.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 310

Scoox

Its impossible to see this "tearing" from outside, but here you go. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Actually, I was thinking maybe aiming for the bottom part might be easier, though with a phone it's probably too difficult as it will try to auto-focus on the baffle material. Thanks anyway!

Edit: Even if you don't take the picture, just shining the torch a round you should be able to see whether it's smooth or not.

ivity

Thanks, I appreciate it. Actually, I was thinking maybe aiming for the bottom part might be easier, though with a phone it's probably too difficult as it will try to auto-focus on the baffle material. Thanks anyway!

Edit: Even if you don't take the picture, just shining the torch a round you should be able to see whether it's smooth or not.
Nope, you can't see it with flashlight at any angle. Seems its impossible without disassembling the monitor. Also, 8341 has different woofer construction rather than 8351B/8361A

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I contacted them privately through support and got the same unsatisfactory answer—it is normal, don't worry about it. It's unsatisfactory because we are talking about high-end studio monitors here, not ripped jeans.
To bad you've got an answer you dont like and yet ... this case's closed!

Now you must buy something different. :D

Scoox

Nope, you can't see it with flashlight at any angle. Seems its impossible without disassembling the monitor. Also, 8341 has different woofer construction rather than 8351B/8361A
Thanks for taking the time to check anyway :)

Scoox

To bad you've got an answer you dont like and yet ... this case's closed!

Now you must buy something different. :D
Do you own The Ones monitors, or are you just dropping by to be helpful? If you own a pair (of the monitors), don't you feel intrigued by the mystery surrounding this feature? I would!

Elkios

Hey dude my 8341s have this . It has not changed since purchased 3 years ago . The top images look blurry around the edge maybe so people don't fall to peaces over it . I have seen two other pair's very similar. I have regularly hit Genelec up with support questions and the service is first rate. If you look at other driver manuefactures web sites quite a few have rough coned driv

I'm not asking for the Coca-Cola formula here, I'm only asking for one or two clear photos of a feature that any person who owns this monitor brand-new could easily check themselves and share online, and that's perfectly legal and doesn't reveal any details about the manufacturing process or the underlying engineering. If there was a store near me that carried these monitors,
Do you happen to own the product being discussed though?
Wholly shit Scoox . If I were you go check out a set in reality . Local dealer around you ?

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you own The Ones monitors, or are you just dropping by to be helpful? If you own a pair (of the monitors), don't you feel intrigued by the mystery surrounding this feature? I would!
It is what it is -- the company has been kind enough to answer the question multiple times, which is more than most companies will do. They are under no obligation to do anything more. It doesn't seem to make sense to keep asking the same question and hoping for a different answer.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
It is what it is -- the company has been kind enough to answer the question multiple times, which is more than most companies will do. They are under no obligation to do anything more. It doesn't seem to make sense to keep asking the same question and hoping for a different answer.
Using the support was the right thing to do, but with no answer even in this case, they're making it look like there's something to hide. Or are you insinuating that these concerns are baseless or pure nitpicking?

Elkios

Sorry see you don't have a local dealer . Its visible just with my eyes not my ****** phone cam .

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I think we are lucky to have technically knowledgeable manufacturers posting on this forum at all. Please don't irritate them by badgering them with questions after they've said an issue is closed. If you don't like the response, you're free to not buy from them, but there is no polite reason to try to continue a conversation that has been explicitly ended.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Not sure about them being less durable. Will they last 50 yrs, probably not. Then again who keeps speakers for that long anyway.
I have couple of Russian Tento speakers from "Kashtan 1" made in '81, so 40 years of service and still working perfectly. Of course, paper cones and wood cases. I'll get back to you in 10 years from now and let you know how they sound. :)

YSC

Major Contributor
Tbh I think the shot above did see the same thing. I would say if it’s a real flaw and might affect the performance genelec would actively fix that for free, maybe even after warranty period recall will be issued. Remember consumer isn’t their main market and in professional market the reliability is more important

Scoox

Tbh I think the shot above did see the same thing. I would say if it’s a real flaw and might affect the performance Genelec would actively fix that for free, maybe even after warranty period recall will be issued. Remember consumer isn’t their main market and in professional market the reliability is more important

I imagine they would do that. otherwise a lot of loyal customers might not be happy. But it's also possible that the drivers never fully break and, even though they remain functional, the sound might be affected. That's why I wanted to know if these drivers look like that when they leave the factory or if it's something that starts showing after a month of use.

YSC

Major Contributor
I imagine they would do that. otherwise a lot of loyal customers might not be happy. But it's also possible that the drivers never fully break and, even though they remain functional, the sound might be affected. That's why I wanted to know if these drivers look like that when they leave the factory or if it's something that starts showing after a month of use.
sorry man, as someone who don't believe in break in... I can't understand your concern.

with SAM monitors, I can't imagine one won't buy the GLM to correct for the response, and IF this is something breaking and affects the response, I am pretty sure it will show up when professionals regularly calibrate their setup once a while. if it remains functional with same performance, I don't see why that should bother you.

And as far as I remember, a Genelec employee already mentioned above that the drivers looked perfectly normal as is.

Regarding to their refusal to post some photos I can understand, one day one member dissembles his speaker and saw this, so they have to send someone with a nice camera down the production line, interrupting the production and took some shot just to post and show... the next day someone found that another thing looked interesting and then they need to do again... that's all labour cost.

I personally appreciate they did respond officially in this forum saying it's normal.

IF that is a fraud claim just to deny responsibility, they already gamble on their own reputation. when these fails in a few years and the paper is torn off breaking the bass response, I am sure they will pay an enormous price as internet ppl will remember their claim as "this is normal". So simply guessing with their target market (professionals) and their reputation built up all these years, I tend to trust them and just enjoys music

Scoox

sorry man, as someone who don't believe in break in... I can't understand your concern.

with SAM monitors, I can't imagine one won't buy the GLM to correct for the response, and IF this is something breaking and affects the response, I am pretty sure it will show up when professionals regularly calibrate their setup once a while. if it remains functional with same performance, I don't see why that should bother you.

And as far as I remember, a Genelec employee already mentioned above that the drivers looked perfectly normal as is.

Regarding to their refusal to post some photos I can understand, one day one member dissembles his speaker and saw this, so they have to send someone with a nice camera down the production line, interrupting the production and took some shot just to post and show... the next day someone found that another thing looked interesting and then they need to do again... that's all labour cost.

I personally appreciate they did respond officially in this forum saying it's normal.

IF that is a fraud claim just to deny responsibility, they already gamble on their own reputation. when these fails in a few years and the paper is torn off breaking the bass response, I am sure they will pay an enormous price as internet ppl will remember their claim as "this is normal". So simply guessing with their target market (professionals) and their reputation built up all these years, I tend to trust them and just enjoys music

So far this is the only reply that restores most of my faith in this monitor, thanks :D I suppose, yeah, if monitors start malfunctioning en masse it would be unlikely that Genelec would try to brush it under the carpet.

YSC

Major Contributor
So far this is the only reply that restores most of my faith in this monitor, thanks :D I suppose, yeah, if monitors start malfunctioning en masse it would be unlikely that Genelec would try to brush it under the carpet.

As a final opinion on the issue, I randomly search paper cones and this is a well photographed one, you could see the kind of “shrinking” texture all over the place. Which looks very similar to the ones side which troubled you.

My wild guess is during manufacturing they focused on making sure the functional part is smooth and uniform as much as possible, and these not flexible parts only needs to be as good as it won’t break

Top Bottom