• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto Dac8 Pro alternative?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello ,
It seems that Okto Reseach company no longer exist !
Br
Agree, there has been no Okto Reseach company at all.

Do you mean Okto Research company??

Jacky

As i have technical problems with my DAC8 PRO since two months , i tried to contact them without success (no answer to my numerous emails , heavy silence , black hole .... o_O) !
Your conclusion ?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
As i have technical problems with my DAC8 PRO since two months , i tried to contact them without success (no answer to my numerous emails , heavy silence , black hole .... o_O) !
Your conclusion ?
Terrible customer service which they have proven since day 1.
Agreed but I have heard from them more recently, so they still exist. I wish they were more responsive.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed but I have heard from them more recently, so they still exist. I wish they were more responsive.
Go figure, they respond to the person that sells equipment for them.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, I paid full retail for my Okto DAC and have the same expectations as any other purchaser. They have not responded to most of my emails either.
Gotcha, well you certainly have mentioned them many times over nearly every forum I've ever seen. ;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Gotcha, well you certainly have mentioned them many times over nearly every forum I've ever seen. ;)
Why not? Certainly I have mentioned other products that I have liked many more times than I have mentioned Okto. (Whoops, I did it again.)

Jacky

I no longer have any hope of having an answer from this company.
So, I need a solution to listen to my hi-fi system again.
An Exasound E68 dac being too much expensive , 4 x cheaper dacs would be a solution.
For exemple , SU9n/SU8s from SMSL or D30Pro Topping would be a solution ?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not? Certainly I have mentioned other products that I have liked many more times than I have mentioned Okto. (Whoops, I did it again.)
Of course you can...I think mentioning the issues they have delivering is important too.

I no longer have any hope of having an answer from this company.
So, I need a solution to listen to my hi-fi system again.
An Exasound E68 dac being too much expensive , 4 x cheaper dacs would be a solution.
For exemple , SU9n/SU8s from SMSL or D30Pro Topping would be a solution ?
The Motu Ultralite Mk5 works perfectly fine for me. I suggest you look at it too.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, but 4 x 750$ is too much for me !
Oh I thought since the exaSound was too much and Okto isn't available the Motu would be ideal.

Jacky

The Dac follows a MiniDsp DDRC88 (see attached picture)

Attachments

• entree-sortie.PNG
    entree-sortie.PNG
    30.2 KB · Views: 120

thulle

I got a fairly quick reply like 6-8 weeks back. Things sounded like they'd open up for orders again fairly soon and the order form on the homepage was momentarily changed before going back to the current "ordering closed" . Has anyone got an idea of how large their backlog is?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I also wrote here,,,

Just for our reference, interesting information exchange is in progress after this post on this remote thread regarding FOCUSRITE Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen (and 3rd gen) as well as MOTU UltraLite Mk5; it looks both of them support simultaneous sync 10-channel DAC processes, even though the total sound quality would be a little bit inferior to OKTO DAC8PRO which I am fully utilizing in my multichannel multi-way multi-amplifier project.

It has been already kindly confirmed by @mdsimon2 (here and here) that both of them have multiple DAC-IC (three [two CS4272+one CS4392] in Scarlett 18i20, two [ES9026pro] in UltraLite Mk5) with one common clock IC for full sync 10-channel DAC processes; looks nice, we need multiple TRS-XLR balanced cables, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRS

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must say I was a little surprised to open up the December 2021 issue of Stereophile and see the Okto DAC8 stereo named joint winner of product of the year in the digital component category. I have an Okto DAC8 pro which I very much enjoy but the the support from Okto has been absolutely terrible. Also seems very weird to award a product that has not been available for purchase for the majority of 2021.

Michael

Jacky

Finally a response from Pavel (Okto Research), it is unexpected after several weeks and many emails :
"I am very sorry for the late reply, I overlooked your email that Eliska forwarded to me ...."
If Okto DAC8 PRO is a very good device, unfortunately the company is not up to the task.

Top Bottom