• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released

Rick63

I've been listening to them for a couple of hours and I can't stop grinning. They sound great in my 11'x13' semi-treated bedroom that I purchased them for. I have little choice but to have them about 9" from the back wall, and the boundary compensation and -2 db LF trim dip switches work perfectly to tame the excessive bass I was experiencing while testing with the factory flat settings. I cannot hear any hiss at all from my 7.5' listening position, I have to be within about 18-24" from the tweeters to hear it at all.

They'll be used for about a 60/40 blend of TV & movie watching/music listening in the evening. I have the optical output from my TV & coaxial out from my LG Blu-ray player (used for movies and as a CD transport) sent to my Schiit Modi 3 DAC, and the signal sent to my Topping L30 used in preamp mode.

While I've never been particularly fond of white speakers I think these look pretty nice in white, as I like the contrast of the white baffle and black drivers. And I'm especially happy that the baffle has a matte finish instead of glossy. I also am pleased that the power on LED light isn't blindingly bright as is often the case.

I'm sure the V2 will please many and be as big a hit as the V1 with the reduced hiss and slightly improved sound, but for my needs the V1 is going to work out great. And the value at the price I paid is off the charts, since I only paid $40 more for a pair than a single V2 will cost. Consider me one happy camper!!

Last edited:
OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Glad to hear they worked out!

I'm sure the V2 will please many and be as big a hit as the V1 with the reduced hiss and slightly improved sound
I have no doubt V2's will be more successful, seeing how much Kali improved on the design.
Luckily, we have all the data we need to see the difference...thanks to Erin. :)

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Here's a comparison with v1:
LP-6v1:
Preference Score is 5.1 (if score goes to 10.0) and would be 7.0 with a perfect subwoofer.

LP-6v2:
Preference Score is 5.9 (if score goes to 10.0) and would be 7.7 with a perfect subwoofer.
Oops...I forgot to compare the Horizontal and Vertical Directivity for LP-6v1 and LP-6v2:
horizontal both.gif

vertical both.gif

Thoughts:
LP-6v2's Horizontal Directivity looks maybe 5 degrees wider.
LP-6v2's Vertical Directivity looks a bit cleaner at a few places (2.5k, 4k and 9k) and wider around between 1k to 2k.

Overall, a few welcome improvements on the directivity as well.

Rick63

I like the LP-6 V1 so much that I'm now strongly considering a set of LP-6 V2s, maybe even the -8s. Does anyone know when places like Sweetwater & Guitar Center will have them in stock? I did sign up for email notification from Sweetwater but hoping to get an idea of when they may be in stock.

Last edited:

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
Pros of Kali LP-6v2 vs IN-5:
- has better preference score (5.9 vs 5.4 for IN-5) => more neutral. =>IN-5 isn't that flat on-axis due to nature of coaxial drivers.
- has better bass extension -6db point (39hz vs 41hz for IN-5) => not that you'll notice, but still
- is 9% smaller in volume (14.125*8.75*10.25=1266in^3) vs IN-5 (15.1*11.2*8.2=1388in^3) => more bang for buck in a smaller factor
- is easier to EQ than IN-5
LP-6v2's Preference Score is 6.3 with an EQ and would be 8.2 with a perfect subwoofer and the same EQ.
IN-5's Preference Score is 5.9 with an EQ and would be 7.9 with a perfect subwoofer and the same EQ.
- At lower volume, 86db, distortion is below 1% for both units, so it's a non-issue. IN-5 shows a bit of distortion between 100-200hz, that LP-6v2 doesnt have.
- Looking at response linearity, the limiter of LP-6v2 seems to not limit you as much in the lower bass (where it cuts off base below 100hz at 102db playback), as does the IN-5 (where it cuts off bass below 200hz at 102db playback). Which means at higher volume, LP-6v2 will have more bass than IN-5.
- horizontal directivity seems a bit more linear/consistent than IN-5.

Pros of IN-5 vs LP-6vs:
- Coaxial driver gives great "soundstage depth". Erin describes it in his IN-5 video at 28min mark. =>I'm assuming non-coaxial speakers (like LP-6v2) won't have this.
- At higher volume, 96db, IN-5 seems to handle distortion better => advantage of a 3-way speaker
- Vertical directivity is better, being a coaxial than LP-6v2 =>advantage of a coaxial speaker

Did I mention that LP-6v2 are 43% cheaper than IN-5's?
This is a really fantastic, detailed analysis. I would add two objective and several subjective points:

Objective:
-Note that the distortion in the midband is lower in the IN-5 vs. the LP-6. This is where vocals and body instruments like guitar and keys sit in the mix, and where distortion from the monitor will be most distracting, especially for someone producing music.
-While the IN-5 has greater volume, its footprint is smaller than the LP-6, and it can be placed horizontally without sacrificing the soundstage.

Subjective:
-I listen to all of these speakers quite a bit, and I prefer the listening experience of the IN-5 to the LP-6. The in-room response and the soundstage depth leads to a much more detailed listening experience. That said, the IN-8 is even better.
-You are correct that you don't really notice the 2dB difference in -6 dB bass extension.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
I like the LP-6 V1 so much that I'm now strongly considering a set of LP-6 V2s, maybe even the -8s. Does anyone know when places like Sweetwater & Guitar Center will have them in stock? I did sign up for email notification from Sweetwater but hoping to get an idea of when they may be in stock.
They are shipping from our warehouse to retailers now. Sweetwater will have them first, and the LP-6 Whites will be the first models available.

dorirod

@KaliAudio_Official you guys have going great with these speakers! I bought the LP-6 a few months back (before I knew v2 was coming out :)

I considered the IN-8 v2, but I couldn't go with them due to the much larger size. One thing I would also add as a pro that other "bookshelf" speakers don't have is the front port, and not a huge depth on them either! I can actually put these speakers on a bookshelf. One con, the speakers don't have auto-turnoff/turnon based on signal. This would save electricity, not sure how much it would add to cost, but I would have gladly paid more for it.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
@KaliAudio_Official you guys have going great with these speakers! I bought the LP-6 a few months back (before I knew v2 was coming out :)

I considered the IN-8 v2, but I couldn't go with them due to the much larger size. One thing I would also add as a pro that other "bookshelf" speakers don't have is the front port, and not a huge depth on them either! I can actually put these speakers on a bookshelf. One con, the speakers don't have auto-turnoff/turnon based on signal. This would save electricity, not sure how much it would add to cost, but I would have gladly paid more for it.
It's a massive PITA to get auto-standby to function correctly. We are looking at it for upcoming models, but we're avoiding it like the plague where it's not completely necessary.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
It's a massive PITA to get auto-standby to function correctly. We are looking at it for upcoming models, but we're avoiding it like the plague where it's not completely necessary.
What is the exact problem? Varying degrees of noise from sources?

Anyway, congrats on Kali for filing the void between cheapo stuff and K+H/Genelec with the IN-5/IN-8 and giving us a better replacement for the JBL LSR serie. Wonder if you'll try trading blows with the aforementioned technological giants one day.

dorirod

Ok, yeah I'm not sure of the complications there. A discrete power button on the front would be helpful if it lacks auto-standby. Oh while I'm wishing, get rid of those blue LEDs in the front will you? I had to resort to gaffer tape. Very distracting when you're trying to watch TV in the dark.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
What is the exact problem? Varying degrees of noise from sources?

Anyway, congrats on Kali for filing the void between cheapo stuff and K+H/Genelec with the IN-5/IN-8 and giving us a better replacement for the JBL LSR serie. Wonder if you'll try trading blows with the aforementioned technological giants one day.
Threshold. Some people mix so. quiet. You don't want the speakers shutting down on them while they're working. And if the threshold is too generous, the speakers might blink on and off for no apparent reason while not being used.

Rick63

I'd appreciate a proper working auto-off function as well. I won't pretend to know how they are designed, but I do know that I've owned many powered subwoofers over the years and the function worked perfect on every single one of them regardless of volume level I listened at.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Threshold. Some people mix so. quiet. You don't want the speakers shutting down on them while they're working. And if the threshold is too generous, the speakers might blink on and off for no apparent reason while not being used.
Maybe consider using an additional dip switch on the back for 2 auto-standby levels in future models? :D

dorirod

Maybe consider using an additional dip switch on the back for 2 auto-standby levels in future models? :D
Yes! but I wouldn't even go that far. Just pick a reasonable level that works, and as long as you can turn off the auto-standby function that would suffice as it would be current state if you didn't want it.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@KaliAudio_Official

Is there any plans for Kali audio to produce speakers for the home audio market? Would love to see what you guys could do with an all out attempt, with something like the Dutch and Dutch 8c as a benchmark.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
@KaliAudio_Official

Is there any plans for Kali audio to produce speakers for the home audio market? Would love to see what you guys could do with an all out attempt, with something like the Dutch and Dutch 8c as a benchmark.
We are looking at doing a consumer-friendly version of the LP-6 V2 with optical and SPDIF inputs, as well as primary/secondary capability.

That's all I'm saying about it at this time.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I very much prefer my monitors without an auto off function. I'm one of the quiet mixers. I really reference things at every volume but often I get a better picture when things are quiet. A previously owned pair of focal's had a poorly set threshold, I would have to crank the volume on my interface then turn it down quickly. Having them turn off on you when you're listening or working at low volumes is more than annoying.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not the biggest fan of auto-off functions either since in my setups they would be redundent at best and a major annoyance if not implemented properly. I like to parallel a single output into multiple downstream inputs and only turn on the devices I'm using.

Top Bottom