• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is a nice tea to drink?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently started drinking orange pekoe tea at home because it's convenient with the single use bags and tastes decent with sugar but I want something better. The only tea I tried is chamomile and orange pekoe. It doesn't matter if it perks me up or not although sometimes the tea is used as a pick me up and a appetite depressant. So what are some nice teas that I should look for for daily consumption? I don't want to break the bank on exotic teas but how good and expensive does it get? I imagine some are expensive.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
1636264016328.png
1636264095810.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Earl Gray if you watch Star Trek NG. Actually I really do like Earl Gray. It is quite good unsweetened or unsullied by any other ingredients.

Also like a Formosa Oolong which is a stronger tea. Darjeeling from India is another good one in my opinion. Twinings is a good brand if they have it in your area. You do see them in many supermarkets.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you are the wrong side of fifty like I am, your doctor will tell you to have stuff with more anti oxidants. So green tea or green Rooibos (from South Africa, but readily available. Rooibos is a native plant there. The tea is nice). You can go bonkers on green tea, with new season Sencha and the like, but regular bags available at your local supermarket.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I like pretty much all teas, until I get halfway through the packet, then it just tastes meh. So I get an different tea, same story.

It's best to have pile of different teas from fiesty ones, through to smooth tasting ones. Otherwise it gets boring. :)

iMickey503

Forum Donor
STH011.jpg

Its been one of my favs.
But Earl Gray is my top.

Now always wanted to try Chinese Tea cakes.
1636265511058.png

There is something about the feel of breaking up the cake and making tea that way.
To me? Its about the fanfare of it. I preparing it as so. I don't do it as often these days.

a little bit about Puhre Tea or Chinese tea.

I think I just like them since they are different.
Well. Off to the bar to get some Pizza and wine.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are the wrong side of fifty like I am, your doctor will tell you to have stuff with more anti oxidants. So green tea or green Rooibos (from South Africa, but readily available. Rooibos is a native plant there. The tea is nice). You can go bonkers on green tea, with new season Sencha and the like, but regular bags available at your local supermarket.
If you are doing that, might as well sweeten with honey instead of sugar. If you are past 60, the doc probably already put the kabash on sugar in your tea.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
My favourite at the moment is a nice Assam Rembeng from my local tea emporium.

But it's hard to beat a good 'English Breakfast' tea.

It's important to read the brewing instructions. One black tea I drink a lot tastes marvelous if brewed for four minutes, but if you brew it for four and a half minutes it will take the enamel off your teeth and paralyse your tongue ... !

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For this kind of season (cold, damp, windy) the best one is Ostfriesentee, a blend of up to 20 mostly black teas. It originates from the German coast (the blend, not the tea). Take it with some milk.

Moonhead

My wife prefer black tea it is in here dna, as her father is from India, so no Earl Grey for her tried plenty.
She likes Westminster black tea from Aldi, quiet good and cheap aswell.

Attachments

• 861009085_westminster-tea-paketirovannyj.jpg.png
    861009085_westminster-tea-paketirovannyj.jpg.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 184

Jimshoe

Pedantry alert . . .

"Orange Pekoe" isn't actually a type of tea (although possibly it's a brand in some parts).

It refers to the grade of tea, of which there are many classifications:

• Orange Pekoe ( OP )
  • Flowery Orange Pekoe ( FOP )
  • Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe ( GFOP )
  • Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe ( TGFOP )
  • Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe ( FTGFOP )
  • Super Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe ( SFTGFOP )
Doug

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pedantry alert . . .

"Orange Pekoe" isn't actually a type of tea (although possibly it's a brand in some parts).

It refers to the grade of tea, of which there are many classifications:

• Orange Pekoe ( OP )
  • Flowery Orange Pekoe ( FOP )
  • Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe ( GFOP )
  • Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe ( TGFOP )
  • Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe ( FTGFOP )
  • Super Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe ( SFTGFOP )
Doug
Ultra Most Super Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe(UMSFTPGFLOP)
Mind Bendingly Ultra Trippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe (MBUTGFOP)

Top Bottom