• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which pre built Purifi Amp sould I buy?

GeeDeWee

I decided to buy a ready built Purifi 1ET400A based amp, to pair with my Rotel RC995 pre-amp and my Acoustic Research AR11 speakers.
Used to have a Bryston 4B, but it broke and sold it to someone who wanted to fix it and use it himself.

I listened to the Hypex NC400 DIY mono blocks a friend of mine owns and I was very impressed. The Purifi seems to me is another step forward in class D (although I did not have the opportunity to listen to it yet).

Any ideas which one I should buy (and why)?
Options I found:
- Nord Three 1ET400A ST (single SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Nord Three 1ET400A MKII Dual Mono (2x SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Apollon 1ET400A mini (single SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Apollon 1ET400A (2x SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Audiophonics HPA-S400ET (single SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Sparkos Edition (single SMPS1200A400 PSU)
- 2x Audiophonics MPA-S400ET mono block (SMPS600A400 PSU)

I guess if I would decide to go for a Hypex module, the same brands come by.
So what I'm really looking for is the difference between the brands in built quality, the use of one or two PSU's, buffers, opamps, etc.

Any insights would be appreciated!
GeeDeWee

amper42

Major Contributor
If you're located in Europe then one of the brands mentioned (Nord, Apollon, Audiophonics) would be worth researching.

If you live in the USA I would consider VTV AMPLIFIER Purifi Eigentakt Stereo Amplifier

Dual power supplies do not increase performance or enhance measurements. The OPA1612 differential input buffer is all you need. The more expensive input buffer options do not increase measurements of the Purifi amp so I'm not willing to pay for them. I bought the March Audio P452 Purifi amp. It has a really nice aluminum case but if I was buying an amp today I might hesitate to pay the $500 premium over VTV.

The real deal in class D amps today is the Buckeye Amps Stereo NC502MP. At $649 shipped in the USA that's amazing. You could almost buy two NC502MP for the price of one VTV Purifi amp. I have ordered several NC502MP and they will arrive in Dec. I plan to A/B compare the Purifi to the NC502MP and see if I have a preference. My guess is they will both sound great.

OP
G

GeeDeWee

Thank you for your replies. I'm located in The Netherlands, in the same town Hypex is located actually :).
I wonder, if dual power supplies don't increase performance, why sell them with a double power supply?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're located in Europe then one of the brands mentioned (Nord, Apollon, Audiophonics) would be worth researching.

If you live in the USA I would consider VTV AMPLIFIER Purifi Eigentakt Stereo Amplifier

Dual power supplies do not increase performance or enhance measurements. The OPA1612 differential input buffer is all you need. The more expensive input buffer options do not increase measurements of the Purifi amp so I'm not willing to pay for them. I bought the March Audio P452 Purifi amp. It has a really nice aluminum case but if I was buying an amp today I might hesitate to pay the $500 premium over VTV.

The real deal in class D amps today is the Buckeye Amps Stereo NC502MP. At $649 shipped in the USA that's amazing. You could almost buy two NC502MP for the price of one VTV Purifi amp. I have ordered several NC502MP and they will arrive in Dec. I plan to A/B compare the Purifi to the NC502MP and see if I have a preference. My guess is they will both sound great.
I built my own from parts from Ghent, Hypex, and, of course, Purifi. The Purifi Eigentact from VTV uses those same parts, and most nearly replicates the prototype amp Amir reviewed and gave his highest rating. It's also just about the cheapest. However, there seem to be some build issues. For one thing they appear to have placed the SMPS in the case ass-backwards with the heat shield facing the Eval 1 instead of the front of the amp case. This leads to longer wires, signal wiring that crosses over the mains wiring, in short, a very messy build.

My advice would be to buy the VTV anyway, turn the SMPS around, buy a new wiring kit from Ghent, and rewire with that kit which will give shorter, more direct signal paths, and create a safer, and better performing amp.

Astojab

I built my own from parts from Ghent, Hypex, and, of course, Purifi. The Purifi Eigentact from VTV uses those same parts, and most nearly replicates the prototype amp Amir reviewed and gave his highest rating. It's also just about the cheapest. However, there seem to be some build issues. For one thing they appear to have placed the SMPS in the case ass-backwards with the heat shield facing the Eval 1 instead of the front of the amp case. This leads to longer wires, signal wiring that crosses over the mains wiring, in short, a very messy build.

My advice would be to buy the VTV anyway, turn the SMPS around, buy a new wiring kit from Ghent, and rewire with that kit which will give shorter, more direct signal paths, and create a safer, and better performing amp.
Since I am also interested in buying a Purifi Amp, what is your opinion on the Build/Wiring from the cheapest Purifi Amp available in Europe:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would choose boXem or Apollon if I were you. They are the highest quality imo.

I would choose boXem or Apollon if I were you. They are the highest quality imo.
Apollon is also 450 EUR more expensive than the cheapest purifi option from audiophonics. Is it also 450 EUR better?

Apollon has a 12v trigger and a gain switch and nicer design on top of what audiophonics is offering.

Boxem is 350 eur more expensive than audiophonics. It offers a gain switch and design wise it's purely subjective. This time around there is no 12v trigger.

I would love to see them all measured against each other.

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Apollon is also 450 EUR more expensive than the cheapest purifi option from audiophonics. Is it also 450 EUR better?

Apollon has a 12v trigger and a gain switch and nicer design on top of what audiophonics is offering.

Boxem is 350 eur more expensive than audiophonics. It offers a gain switch and design wise it's purely subjective. This time around there is no 12v trigger.

I would love to see them all measured against each other.
We have better than a 12V trigger, an audio sense. How many DACs tested here have a trigger out?

We have better than a 12V trigger, an audio sense. How many DACs tested here have a trigger out?
Can you elaborate on that feature?

I would also like to see the finished product all in black. Surprisingly such a combination is not pictured on your website. Can you post a few pics?

Thanks

ririt

I am located in France. I am currently using 2 purifi amps from March Audio ( 1 mono and 1 stereo). their building quality and design are amazing. Moreover, despite the distance with Australia (where March Audio is located), the support I received before and after the purchase of the amps was outstanding. Delivery was also flawless.
I bought them prior to the existence of Boxem and the availability of their Purifi Amps. If I have to buy another amp now, I will strongly consider Boxem for several reasons: European location, built quality and obvious expertise in the field ( according to how Boxem is participating to this forum).
I know that both March Audio and Boxem are a bit more costly than Audiophonics, VTV and other brands, but I think that they are not playing in the same league. If you can afford to pay a bit more for your amp, I would strongly recommend these 2 brands.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

FWIW, VTV's Purifi with their own buffer board doesn't have the issue with misaligned power supply.

Attachments

• IMG_20201114_093341903.jpg
    IMG_20201114_093341903.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 896

JHC

Forum Donor
Can you elaborate on that feature?

I would also like to see the finished product all in black. Surprisingly such a combination is not pictured on your website. Can you post a few pics?

Thanks
The Audio sense (automatic on/off switching) on boXem works great, soon as my DAC/Streamer starts play back, the amp will turn on.

Had 3 different brands of DACs, no major issues on the audio sense.

Top Bottom