• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 DAC/Streamer Official Thread

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Which gain settings using with x-sabre 3 on AHB2?

Can X-Sabre drive AHB2 full output?
The AHBs are bridged and I'm using the middle gain setting. These are the numbers I got from Rory at Benchmark:

22dBu (9.8 Vrms sensitivity) is equivalent to 9.2dB gain. 15.2 bridged.
14.2dBu (4 Vrms sensitivity) is equivalent to 17dB gain. 23 bridged.
18dBu (2 Vrms sensitivity) is equivalent to 23dB gain. 29 bridged.

So the AHB2s should be providing 23 vmrs in my case. Speakers are fairly efficient (88 or so; Revel 226be) and at 2-3meter distances it can get very loud with room to spare, based on the volume ring on the Sabre3. Not sure if that answers your question. I've just had mine for a day but so far very impressed. I've always used digital systems for room correction, bass management etc so this is a bit of an adventure for me :)

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The X-SABRE 3 RCA outs have 2V which should be more than enough to wake up any subwoofer. If your subwoofers have Dual RCA inputs (L + R), you can use a RCA "Y" adapter to use both inputs so that way you will increase the input gain by +6dB. The X-SABRE 3 has no problem waking up my Rythmik Audio L22 using RCA outs.
thanks for the tip, i'll pick up a couple adapters and check it out. This would require Y connectors with two male/one female ends I assume.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Settings / 14. Product Info / SW:

IMG_8774.jpeg

IMG_8775.jpeg

IMG_8776.jpeg

ICantHearYou

Received my X-Sabre 3 this week. It is the silver version which interestingly has a white glass top. Will post pictures at some point. So far very satisfied with it as a Roon endpoint and DAC paired with a Burson Soloist 3xp

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Can the lights and the screen be completely turned off on this unit?
There is a Auto Dimmer function that turns off the lights after a certain time (15 secs, 30 secs and 1 min). The screen remains on but brightness can be adjusted between Low, Mid or High and on Low is very dim.

JCollins

Received my Matrix Audio X Sabre 3 today. Solid, heavy little unit. Build quality is exceptional. Out of the box, I wasn't overly impressed with the sound quality however after having power run through the dac for a few hours, everything changed. I had to dial down the bass on my two subs as it seemed to be producing or outputing more low end than my m51. Anyway, happy so far, hoping to undertake more critical listening soon.

rdaneel100

Can the lights and the screen be completely turned off on this unit?
Can you do the opposite? let the lights always turned on? I like the way all the light buttons look turned on, but after few seconds the turned off.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Can you do the opposite? let the lights always turned on? I like the way all the light buttons look turned on, but after few seconds the turned off.

Yes, just Go to Settings/Auto Dimmer and set it OFF.

thejck

Do you know how the various Matrix Audio models defer from each other? I am looking at just the DAC/preamp's.

I have my Roon core running on my server and I also have a dedicated HTPC for my audio/video needs. Is there an advantage to getting the matrix audio for the "streamer" functionality over using a USB dac connected to my PC?

I was leaning towards the Topping D90SE since its significantly cheaper and has all the necessary functionality I need which is usb DAC and/or preamp. (I have a seperate preamp I might or might not hang onto depending)

Would I regret not shelling out an extra 1k :cool: ?
Also can you tell me more about Apos Audio? Wondering if they are reputable and a good option to shop at vs Amazon

ICantHearYou

Do you know how the various Matrix Audio models defer from each other? I am looking at just the DAC/preamp's.

I have my Roon core running on my server and I also have a dedicated HTPC for my audio/video needs. Is there an advantage to getting the matrix audio for the "streamer" functionality over using a USB dac connected to my PC?

I was leaning towards the Topping D90SE since its significantly cheaper and has all the necessary functionality I need which is usb DAC and/or preamp. (I have a seperate preamp I might or might not hang onto depending)

Would I regret not shelling out an extra 1k :cool: ?
Also can you tell me more about Apos Audio? Wondering if they are reputable and a good option to shop at vs Amazon
I went with the X-Sabre 3 as i needed both a roon endpoint and great DAC in a different room than my roon server. Roon server is running on a desktop computer in my office. The big selling point for me was the wireless and roon ready endpoint built into the X-Sabre 3 so I could stream it in the other room. If I was direct connecting to a device with roon on it, I think something like the Topping you suggest may be better valued.

I have heard claims roon is better quality streaming (LAN preferred by WIFI ok as long as there is good signal) to another device than USB connected directly to a DAC (especially directly from the roon server). I don't know if that is true, but may be worth consideration.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I agree that if the X-SABRE 3 is going to be used only as DAC connected into a PC, even with Roon, then a Topping D90SE would be your best choice. BTW, price difference between the X-SABRE 3 and D90SE is more than $2K.

thejck

doesnt the original version of the xsabre supposed to be a DAC only? comparing apples to apples is the dac only version of it significantly better than the topping?

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
doesnt the original version of the xsabre supposed to be a DAC only? comparing apples to apples is the dac only version of it significantly better than the topping?
DAC to DAC there is only 2dB SINAD difference so I would say they should sound the same. Both are fully transparent. Also the original X-SABRE Pro MQA is not Roon Ready and no streaming capabilities.

thejck

what does roon ready do for you? if the dac is recognized by the PC then you just go about setting it up in room right?
is it necessary or just a safety thing?

Last edited:
Top Bottom