• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker for mixing in 45m2 room

Lilith

Hi,

since some months now I want to upgrade from my Eris 5 to better judge the bass range.
I have some bass traps and side wall treatment, but I correct major room modes (70 Hz and 130 Hz) with dsp in Linux.
My speakers don't go that low, but I can measure that there's a huge mode at 45 Hz which I can not treat acoustically.

At the moment I'm drawn between Genelec 8030, Adam T7V and T5V and Kali LP6.

I'm pretty sure I have to EQ the 45 Hz region a lot, so I wonder if it makes sense to buy speakers like the Kali LP6 which go to 39 Hz at - 10.dB. So maybe the 8030 or even T5V would be the better choice in the end. Listening distance is around 1.5 m and usually I listen at 78-85dB. The speakers are close t(ca. 30 cm) to the wall with a 10 cm absorber behind the speaker.
I also don't want to use a subwoofer.

Does anyone know if the Kali can be repaired in Germany? I heard of someone whose LP6 failed after one year and Kali wanted to repair the speakers in US, but postage wasn't payed. Adam and Genelec offer 5 year warranty and I don't see any problems with these companies. I also think Genelec will have 0 quality (cabinet resonances, etc.) issues.

What do you guys can recommend?

OP
Lilith

Lilith

Ahh. And what about the Tannoy Gold 7? These where suggested to me by a guy from GIK Acoustics

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
What's your budget, first and foremost?
Genelec, Kali and Adam are all well-regarded and measured brands. You can find reviews by Amir and Erin.
Also consider Neumann KH80/120 if that's in your budget.
We don't have spinorama for any Tannoy Gold studio monitors, so I would say it's more riskier choice.
Can you demo speakers in your area? I suggest that you do.
It seems that you have a measurement microphone and know how to EQ, which is great. Knowing how to get rid of room modes (especially peaks in frequency response) will help with getting more accurate sound. Of course, there's digital room correction systems that do that as well, if you're looking for a more automated approach.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

I'm using this for Drc which gives me the same result like Sonarworks

I had the Kh80 for one year, but I could exchange them cause I had several issues with the standby function and resonances of the rear cover.

Budget wise I would say 1200 € per pair. If it is worth also more. But the speaker should be not too heavy. 7 kg should be fine, 10kg is too much... Otherwise I cannot handle it. The Genelecs would be perfect. Small and compact.

I also thought about buying the KH120, but I heard about some failures of the amps. I think some capacitors are quite close to transistor amps.

Here

I could break it down to two pairs and send one pair back maybe.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Then I recommend either:

both.gif

1. Genelec 8030C
1200 EUR (from thomann)
Preference Score: 6.3
Bass extension: 46Hz at -6dB
5 kg in weight
3 year warranty

2. Neumann KH120
1240 EUR (from thomann)
Preference Score: 6.7
Bass extension: 42Hz at -6dB
6.2 kg in weight
2 year warranty

I can't comment on the warranty issues you heard about Neumann's, but they are exceptional studio monitors regardless.
Personally, I have Genelec 8040B's and I'm very satisfied.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

Thanks I wasn't aware that the KH120 measure better. With respect to my +12 dB at 130 Hz it's negligible though.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

I think the T5V are in the boat. The more I read about them the more curious I get. Plus the 5 year warranty is a huge plus

dfuller

Major Contributor
I think the T5V are in the boat. The more I read about them the more curious I get. Plus the 5 year warranty is a huge plus
IMO they don't compare favorably even with the Kalis never mind the Neumanns and Genelecs.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

IMO they don't compare favorably even with the Kalis never mind the Neumanns and Genelecs.

In that case it will be between KH120 and 8030. I think they are quite close. Is the deeper bass of the KH120 significant?

Ahh another thing... How stable do the Genelec stand on the rubber stand?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahh. And what about the Tannoy Gold 7? These where suggested to me by a guy from GIK Acoustics

Tannoy publishes (very limited) measurements in their product information, and given the Beamwidth diagram of the 7(which is a mess, with substantial discontinuities and narrowing in the highs), and Amir's review of this other Tannoy, I get the strong impression that Tannoy's coaxials are a lazy, older design. They haven't addressed most of the problems with coaxials unlike Genelec, Kef, and (to a lesser extent) Kali have done.

1636149885787.png

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Is the deeper bass of the KH120 significant?

Ahh another thing... How stable do the Genelec stand on the rubber stand?
4hz difference at -6db is negligible.

Very sturdy. It’s hard rubber, so it feels solid. I’m pretty sure Genelec chose the most stable version, probably after countless trials. Their engineering is top notch, in my eyes.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Then I recommend either:

View attachment 163252
1. Genelec 8030C
1200 EUR (from thomann)
Preference Score: 6.3
Bass extension: 46Hz at -6dB
5 kg in weight
3 year warranty

2. Neumann KH120
1240 EUR (from thomann)
Preference Score: 6.7
Bass extension: 42Hz at -6dB
6.2 kg in weight
2 year warranty

I can't comment on the warranty issues you heard about Neumann's, but they are exceptional studio monitors regardless.
Personally, I have Genelec 8040B's and I'm very satisfied.
I owned the KH120 and heard the 8030C
They sound completely different

OP
Lilith

Lilith

I owned the KH120 and heard the 8030C
They sound completely different
I didn't hear the Genelec, only the KH120. Did you hear them in the same room next to each other and how do they differ?

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Top Bottom