• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 vs Revel M106

Beave

Major Contributor
Better? Or just consistently narrower (which isn't necessarily better)?

Reactions: ob1

Beave

Major Contributor
Much more consistent, while not being all that much more narrow. I was surprised to see those suck-outs for the M106, especially in the horizontal.

The waistbanding at around 4-5kHz in the Revels doesn't look nearly as bad in Amir's plots.

It might be that these plots are normalized to the on-axis response. The Revels have a bump in their on-axis response there, so when that flattens out off axis, it will appear worse than it actually is in normalized plots.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Much more consistent, while not being all that much more narrow. I was surprised to see those suck-outs for the M106, especially in the horizontal.

I'm pretty sure the Revel "narrowing" around 4-5khz is a normalization artifact, as the speaker has an on-axis peak there.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The waistbanding at around 4-5kHz in the Revels doesn't look nearly as bad in Amir's plots.

It might be that these plots are normalized to the on-axis response. The Revels have a bump in their on-axis response there, so when that flattens out off axis, it will appear worse than it actually is in normalized plots.
I'm pretty sure the Revel "narrowing" around 4-5khz is a normalization artifact, as the speaker has an on-axis peak there.
That's exactly what it is. It surprised me a bit when I saw it, as I didn't remember the M106 looking like that.

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
Think I’m going with M106.

Read the M106 and M105 threads too which didn’t add much past the initial review. Threads get sidetracked so quickly. In the end, I don’t see why I wouldn’t be happy with either but sticking with my first choice in Revel.

I’m concerned about how they will handle being plugged and so close to the wall/in a bookshelf. They are the only aesthetically acceptable options as the room will not be dedicated to listening. Time will tell.

MaxRockbin

Community,

If someone were looking to upgrade speakers at this price point, which would you choose?

Seems to be a win-win situation, but is there a compelling reason to choose one over the other? They both measure well with the only notable differences being the upper-mid/high emphasis and impedance dip to below 3ohm on the R3.
I think I'd go for the R3, though I gotta say IRL, making this same decision, deciding between those and the Genelec 8030c, I went Genelec (and am super happy with them). Though I'm near-to-mid field. For a larger room/more than 2 meters distance, the R3 probably win. And, of course, plus subwoofer (or two) no matter your choice.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Think I’m going with M106.

Read the M106 and M105 threads too which didn’t add much past the initial review. Threads get sidetracked so quickly. In the end, I don’t see why I wouldn’t be happy with either but sticking with my first choice in Revel.

I’m concerned about how they will handle being plugged and so close to the wall/in a bookshelf. They are the only aesthetically acceptable options as the room will not be dedicated to listening. Time will tell.
What color? Some good used deals I’ve seen lately it seems

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
Black or walnut. The R3 in walnut look great.

I have not knowingly listened to narrow vs wide dispersion speakers, so I don’t know how to interpret the sonic benefit of either. The thread and video posted earlier left me confused as to how to decide without listening to them side by side which is not an option.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Black or walnut. The R3 in walnut look great.

I have not knowingly listened to narrow vs wide dispersion speakers, so I don’t know how to interpret the sonic benefit of either. The thread and video posted earlier left me confused as to how to decide without listening to them side by side which is not an option.
Oh ok, was thinking you decided on M106

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
Oh ok, was thinking you decided on M106
I am. That was an unfinished sentence that I meant to remove prior to posting.

I like the Revel in the walnut finish, but black is fine too. I’ll probably go with whichever I can find cheaper at time of purchase.

jonfitch

M106 is a 1" tweeter with a 6.5" mid, you are gonna have to expect some directivity issues. The M105 on the other hand, has much better directivity but is much more bass light than the R3. M105 + a sub can be competitive with the R3, but I think the M106 is going to fall behind.

Luchadorconan

Revel M106 is US$2200/pair.
Kef R3 just dropped on sale last night to be US$1700/pair
Take the US$500 savings, and purchase an amp, and you're ahead.

Considering the sale right now, I think it's a no brainer to get the R3.
I tried both. The KEFs gave me a headache in a couple of minutes. I kept the Revels. They are warm and balanced.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Then you're the first person to report so.

I searched for 'headache' in Amir's and Erin's threads and no one experienced this.

It is plausible KEF speakers can cause fatigue. KEF speakers are the brightest speakers I have cycled through my rooms. Some people may be sensitive to this.

KEF R3 in my office. See FR above 6KHz:

KEF R3 Dirac to 1000Hz Left.png

KEF Q100 in my family room:

KEF Q100 Right Uncorrected.png

In both measurements, the speakers are pointed straight ahead or have minimal toe.

VS. Revel F206 in my media room:

F206 Left Uncorrected Pure Direct.png

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In my experince the R3 where the first days very bright. but then i put on some differnet music (Martina Topley Bird) and i noticed that it was very much in the recording.
If a record is bass light and bright.
Now i find it to be a warm bass heavy speaker depending on recording.

steve59

Major Contributor
While revel might measure to have wider dispersion in practice, i've owned several pair of both brands, kef uniq has a very narrow spike and drop around 9khz that all the expertssay will cancel each other out because of on axis/off axis energy, whatever. In reality if the speakers are pointed just wrong the listener will be treated to a very large spike. The latest gens with the tangerine tweeter cone are supposed to tame this and I don't hear it with the blades, but maybe post #34 is describing it? At any rate most speakers should be a few feet from sidewalls or angled in a bit.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
With the R3 you need to play with the toe in orden to have the optima brightness / smothness
I remember some people listen to these r3 with too much toe in and then they wrote how dark sounds the speaker..

As I know the reference series doesnt need toe in

Top Bottom