• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Suzuki made this 400 in a similar style. I loved this when it was new but knew it would never be mine because when I could legally buy one they would be better.

It's ace all around! :D
Rotary-Engine-Motorcycle_-1975-Suzuki-RE5-Jay-Lenos-Garage-8-44-screenshot.png
Suzuki RE5

Suzuki RE5: Power Plant Surprise 500 cc's,
Power61.9 hp (46.2 kW) @ 6,500 rpm[1]
Torque55.6 lbf⋅ft (75.4 N⋅m) @ 3,500 rpm[1
Yes, you got it, It's a Single Rotor Wankel.
Norton did it better:
Engine588 cc water-cooled twin-rotor Wankel engine
Power85 bhp (63 kW) at 9000 rpm
Torque75.4 Nm at 7000 rpm
Norton-Comander.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With 6 cylinders!

There were a few British triples, the Triumph Trident, the BSA Rocket 3 and the Hurricane, although I think they all had essentially the same 750cc engine. There may have been some others.

The Itialians did some as well:

View attachment 162685

That was a great looking car; I'm not sure about the chrome wheels on this one, but I love the colour:

View attachment 162686
I have a Hotwheel like that.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Rotary-Engine-Motorcycle_-1975-Suzuki-RE5-Jay-Lenos-Garage-8-44-screenshot.png
Suzuki RE5

Suzuki RE5: Power Plant Surprise 500 cc's,
Power61.9 hp (46.2 kW) @ 6,500 rpm[1]
Torque55.6 lbf⋅ft (75.4 N⋅m) @ 3,500 rpm[1
Yes, you got it, It's a Single Rotor Wankel.
Norton did it better:
Engine588 cc water-cooled twin-rotor Wankel engine
Power85 bhp (63 kW) at 9000 rpm
Torque75.4 Nm at 7000 rpm
Norton-Comander.jpg
I rode one of those Wankel Yamaha's once. Was considering buying it. Somehow no cigar at the time.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I rode one of those Wankel Yamaha's once. Was considering buying it. Somehow no cigar at the time.
I don't recall a Wankel engine in any Canadian release for motorcycles and we get stuff that the USA does not receive and same as Euro we sometimes share configurations. I think it is historical that Canadian releases usually have more lenient pollution standards applied. No idea why we never received Wankel motorcycles.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't recall a Wankel engine in any Canadian release for motorcycles and we get stuff that the USA does not receive and same as Euro we sometimes share configurations. I think it is historical that Canadian releases usually have more lenient pollution standards applied. No idea why we never received Wankel motorcycles.

LOW PRODUCTION IS THE ANSWER:​

The first one: Hercules/DKW W-2000: 1800 built A contemporary Cycle World review summarized the machine this way: "Less performance for more money takes this rotary out of the realm of practicality."​

Top 10 Wankel engined bikes

There were others: Yamaha RZ201: Never actually produced:​

Revealed at the 1972 Tokyo Motor Show, the RZ201 had a 660cc Wankel and made 66bhp. Look it up: If you like the look, though, you can always try to find a conventionally-powered Yamaha TX750 – it used the same frame and suspension and looks virtually identical to the prototype RZ201​

Kawasaki X99 RCE: Shown in 1972, it was purported to be a 900cc twin-rotor machine making 85hp, but it disappeared without trace.​

Norton Interpol II: It was 1984 before finally creating its first production Wankel, the Interpol II. But you still couldn’t actually buy one. Not unless you were a police force or breakdown service, that is.​

Norton Classic: Using the same air-cooled, twin rotor 588cc motor from the Interpol II and made as a limited edition of just 100 bikes, it was seen as a first step towards the comeback of both the rotary and Norton as a real motorcycling power when it reached production in 1987.​

Norton Commander: The ‘P53’ Commander of 1989 was another proper production bike, this time with Norton’s new water-cooled twin-rotor engine. And it wasn’t too bad by all accounts, even if you needed to be slightly obsessed with either the Norton name or the unusual engineering to choose one over, say, a BMW or Honda. The firm’s success in racing at the time, using a derivative of the Commander’s engine, helped give it a boost.​

Norton F1: Given the fact that Norton was enjoying racing victories again with its rotaries in the late '80s, it seemed odd that the first production bike it built around the engine was the Commander tourer. That was remedied in 1990 with the launch of the F1, which was nearly a proper sports bike. Its styling was pretty decent, albeit reminiscent of the first-gen CBR600, CBR1000 and Ducati Paso. Its all-enclosed fairing also meant it lacked the hard, race-rep look that would have really played on the firm’s on-track success. Shame, because the bits underneath were serious and included a beautiful aluminium Spondon frame and high-end WP suspension. Around 130 were made and prices today are steep.​

Norton F1 Sport: But not as steep as prices of the even rarer 1991 F1 Sport, which finally gained proper race-rep styling like that on the firm’s BSB and TT bikes. Unfortunately, the firm only ‘got it right’ by something of an accident, as by 1991 Norton was in its death throes. The F1 Sport was more an effort to use up the remaining parts at the factory than a serious attempt to woo buyers in big numbers. Technically, its much the same as the F1, but with the race bike’s seat unit and new side panels that allow that Spondon frame to finally be seen. Unfortunately, the even better looking F2, shown as a prototype in 1992 and intended to be a cheaper follow-up to the F1, never reached production.​

Van Veen OCR1000: The twin-rotor, 996cc engine (actually developed by NSU and Citroen and originally intended for a car) made a claimed 107bhp and was said to give the bike a 135mph top speed – not too shabby in 1978 when production finally started, several years after the first prototypes had been made. Looked pretty good, too, although the rotary motor isn’t as aesthetically pleasing as a piston engine. Buyers weren’t convinced, and only 38 were made before the project folded in 1981. A 2011 attempt to revive the bike with a ridiculous €85,000 price tag is supposed to have added another 10 machines to that total.​

ALL Information is from VISOR DOWN which has pictures of all of these. If I could afford it, I'd go with one of the later Norton's.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
With 6 cylinders!

There were a few British triples, the Triumph Trident, the BSA Rocket 3 and the Hurricane, although I think they all had essentially the same 750cc engine. There may have been some others.

The Itialians did some as well:

View attachment 162685

That was a great looking car; I'm not sure about the chrome wheels on this one, but I love the colour:

View attachment 162686

index.php

The wheels are ghastly. The car's gorgeous.
That's a Pantera, isn't it? -- As opposed to a Mangusta. :)

de-tomaso-mangusta-ghia-1971-02.jpg

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

The wheels are ghastly. The car's gorgeous.
That's a Pantera, isn't it? -- As opposed to a Mangusta. :)

de-tomaso-mangusta-ghia-1971-02.jpg
The Green car (with the hideous aftermarket wheels) is a PANTERA, the successor to the Butterscotch Gold Giorgetto Giugiaro (worked for Ghia, owned by De Tomaso) designed (the body work) Mangusta which was preceded by the Ghia Vallelunga:
Vallelunga.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yes, quite.
I remember them both very well from my long-ago days as an avid Road & Track subscriber.
Back then, an exoticar was, maybe, $20k (USD)... which just didn't seem quite so out of reach. It was, of course, but it didn't seem so...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My favorite car of all time, the 1938 Lincoln-Zephyr, here in the glorious coupe version:

View attachment 162897
View attachment 162898
View attachment 162899
View attachment 162900
View attachment 162901
View attachment 162902
View attachment 162903
View attachment 162904
View attachment 162905
1938-zephyr-dealer.jpg

Alas, I'll never own one. I do have an original mint-condition 1938 brochure, though! hahaha
When I was a kid my Dad had one of those. His was in a dark green color available in those days. Like the one pictured below. :)

proxy-image

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My favorite car of all time, the 1938 Lincoln-Zephyr, here in the glorious coupe version:

Alas, I'll never own one. I do have an original mint-condition 1938 brochure, though! ha
Very sweet! There are not many people that know about how awesome that V-12 was. & that, if you search, you can find some astounding vintage hop up parts to give it the ability to give the rest of the car a stout kick of Go-Go Juice & surprise the masses even more. I think that I would also have to add a Vintage Air A/C kit (that would look like the factory could've done that in 1938).

Hot Rod Lincoln! H&H Flatheads V-12 Lincoln Engines​

By BOBBY KIMBROUGH SEPTEMBER 12, 2012
An earlier EngineLabs news item on the latest engine project from H&H Flatheads included a photo of a V12 Lincoln engine that Mike Herman’s crew recently built. Requests for more information on this wicked engine poured in immediately.

H&H Flatheads' blown V12 Lincoln.
History of the Lincoln V-12
Ford Motor Company’s Lincoln division began producing a V12 engine just as Ford introduced its Flathead V8 in 1932. The original 448ci Lincoln V12 was used in the large Model KB line for 1932 and 1933. It produced 150 horsepower and was an unusual 65-degree L-head design. The large crankshaft was supported by seven main bearings.
Lincoln introduced another V12 the very next year to replace the aging V8 in the KA model. This 382ci engine was quite different in design from the KB’s massive engine but would serve the company for many years even though it was enlarged the next year.
The KA’s 382 V12 was enlarged for 1934 to replace the 1932-design 448. This new engine displaced 414ci and produced 150 horsepower. All Lincolns in 1934 were powered by this new 414 V12. The 414 would last through the end of the Model K’s production just before World War II.
The first Lincoln-Zephyr models of 1936 used a 267ci engine which produced 110 horsepower. This engine was upgraded with hydraulic lifters in 1938 and produced for one further year.
The engine was enlarged for 1940 and 1941 to 292ci and was used from late 1946 through 1948.
A single month of 1942 production used a 306ci version of the engine. Resurrected after the war in 1946 (with 7.2:1 compression and 2-barrel/twin choke carburetor, rated at 130 horsepower for a short time before reverting to 292ci for the rest of 1946 through 1948.

“We’ve built over a dozen of the V12 Lincoln engines in the past 8 to 12 months, from stock to three carb and a blower version, based on the individual customer’s needs,” says Herman.
The latest V12 build included a S.Co.T. blower kit which helps pump up the horsepower to these historic motors to 250 hp at the flywheel. That’s a far cry from the original stock 130 hp from the factory. Herman has been known to make over 300 hp in regular flathead Ford V8 engines.
“Our V12 Lincoln’s average 250 horses for the blown versions and around 180 for the naturally aspirated models,” claims Herman. Part of the reason these engines can make that kind of power and have durability is the selection of components that make up the internals. “We do a complete upgrade on the valvetrain,” he says, “switching to hollow-body adjustable lifters and larger diameter stainless steel valves.”
The crew also bores the cylinders .060-inch over and adds a slightly longer stroke to the crankshaft. “You really can’t go any more on the bores or stroke without running into major problems,” he adds.
Beefing up the stock 6-volt ignition system to a more modern 12-volts helps with getting enough spark to the combustion chambers, especially when a blower is added to the mix.
Other upgrades are added to make the engine live a long and productive life, like adding high flow water pumps. H&H Flatheads can also supply transmission adapters to just about any type of transmission a customer would want to bolt to the back of these beasts.
According to Herman, “We can supply the customer with anything they might want for these V12s. From core blocks to engine accessories, we carry a full line of products.”

H&H Flatheads' V12 with Hogan cylinder heads. Garth Hogan in New Zealand produces finned heads specifically for the Lincoln V12s.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
86.15_bw.jpg

1937, Mine still works great, very quiet but I mostly use the central vac, shop vac, dustbuster. Have the hose and all the cast aluminum accessories. Can't part with it but the wife wants to. With a little chrome polish could get close to this one.

egellings

Major Contributor
I have the HP-35 that I still use today. It has worked well; never broke down. I have replaced the 3 size AA nickel metal hydride rechargeable battery cells twice so far.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the HP-35 that I still use today. It has worked well; never broke down. I have replaced the 3 size AA nickel metal hydride rechargeable battery cells twice so far.
Still use my 11c had a 35 and slide rule before that. Can't beat reverse polish for speed. (not a polish joke for the uninitiated)

Top Bottom