• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2-way vs 3-way speakers

dfuller

Major Contributor
If crossover frequencies are picked carefully you can have relatively even dispersion even on a flat baffle with a 3 way. 2 ways you always will have some combination of the following problems:
- poor directivity behavior by trying to match drivers with sizes too disparate + insufficient waveguiding
- higher midrange IMD thanks to the midwoofer having to handle bass and upper mids at the same time
- limited low end SPL from a small midwoofer
- tweeters run too low end up with high distortion towards the lower end of their operating range

A 3 way solves these. A smaller midrange driver that is crossed at 200hz or above has much lower IMD, and can be crossed either higher and keep the same dispersion pattern or at the same point for a more even pattern. It also allows the use of a larger woofer for more low end extension at the same SPL or higher SPL at the same low end extension. 8-10"/3-4"/1" works well generally speaking.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is rather silly to imagine a speaker that has no crossovers within the human vocal range, considering that would encompass all of the harmonics and extend from 85 Hz to 8 kHz.

However if you wanted to design a 3-way speaker that completely avoided crossovers within a reasonable range of vocal band, it would look something like this:

Bass: 20-100 Hz
Mid: 100-4000 Hz
Tweeter: 4000-20000 Hz

Most 3-ways (or all?) I've seen don't cross to the bass driver that low, nor do they have a midrange that can cross that low if they wanted to. If it can, it probably won't extend to 4 kHz.

antennaguru

I have had many speakers and have been the most satisfied with 2-Way main speakers crossed over high at around 3.5 KHz employed with a good stereo subwoofer system crossed over below 90 Hz. That way there is no crossover point in what I consider to be the most critical frequency range for human voice, cello, etc. Today my very best system has 2-Way Open Baffle main speakers of my design, with 3.5 KHz crossovers, and the very substantial stereo subwoofer system part of the Infinity IRS Beta (2 X 4 twelve inch carbon woofers), plus a third push-pull subwoofer next to and slightly behind my listening position to correct a room node. The only reasonable musical comparison is being there live, which I will be for Pat Metheny the day after tomorrow...

antennaguru

the human ear is most sensitive between 2 and 5 kHz, so that's where you idealy woud have no crossover
Where is your data to prove this? The data I have seen shows that the highest sensitivity is quite lower in the 500 - 2500 Hz range, where the Human Voice and Cello are...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I wonder if the issues with multiway designs can be mitigated by using very aggressive slopes, like 48 or 96dB per octave.

Edit: Instead of needing wideband drivers, for example.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Actually 300 to 3000 Hertz is the range designed into all human voice communication systems. The first examples are telephones and 2-way EMS radio systems. Personally I avoid any crossovers between 90 and 3500 Hertz for my optimal enjoyment...
Everyone have his personal preference/bias about the crossover, in my case i avoid any non coaxial design for mids-highs for my personal enjoyment.. xD

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Where is your data to prove this? The data I have seen shows that the highest sensitivity is quite lower in the 500 - 2500 Hz range, where the Human Voice and Cello are...
1635907067997.png

Easiest demonstration of this.

antennaguru

Everyone have his personal preference/bias about the crossover, in my case i avoid any non coaxial design for mids-highs for my personal enjoyment.. xD
- and I don't think coaxials do anything better than non-coaxials can! But then your KEFs are not comparable to what I listen to...

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you for proving my point! I listen at 60 - 80 dB SPL.
Even at 60-80 phon, the 2-4khz region is the lowest meaning most sensitive….

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Thank you for proving my point!
I don't see why you'd say 500Hz-2.5kHz the most sensitive? 2kHz to 5kHz is clearly the range of highest sensitivity. That's an average, of course, but variation in people centers around that.

antennaguru

I don't see why you'd say 500Hz-2.5kHz the most sensitive? 2kHz to 5kHz is clearly the range of highest sensitivity. That's an average, of course, but variation in people centers around that.
If the 2-5 KHz range you suggest is the most sensitive then why do telephone and 2-Way Emergency Radio Systems only operate on 300 - 3000 Hertz, for human voice communications? If you used a graphic equalizer on a human voice communication system and boosted 2-5 Khz as you suggest there would be little intelligibility.

Look at the graph you provided at the SPL range most people listen to, 60 - 80 dB SPL.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If the 2-5 KHz range you suggest is the most sensitive then why do telephone and 2-Way Emergency Radio Systems only operate on 300 - 3000 Hertz, for human voice communications? If you used a graphic equalizer on a human voice communication system and boosted 2-5 Khz as you suggest there would be little intelligibility.

Look at the graph you provided at the SPL range most people listen to, 60 - 80 dB SPL.

Because one is designed to reproduce human voices only (2 way emergency systems) and our ears are our ears….they don’t have to be connected in what they are trying to accomplish…

antennaguru

Because one is designed to reproduce human voices only (2 way emergency systems) and our ears are our ears….they don’t have to be connected in what they are trying to accomplish…
I guess you don't listen to the human voice then. I like listening to that instrument...

Top Bottom